Suppport Thread for the TND 500, TND 700 or future Rand McNally products.

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Mark Kling, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattbnr

mattbnr Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Tama,Iowa
    I've been using my rand McNally for 5 years and it's never failed me yet. Sounds like maybe you just got a bad unit or maybe you plugged the cord in the unit incorrectly which caused the said problem you were seeing. Anything is possible. Happy trails.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    I know what you go thru daily. I drove OTR for 3 years. If you buy at a truck stop, you can always return/exchange at the same "Branded" truck stop with a receipt no matter what the state.

When it first started to show "connected" did you contact RM tech support?

In thinking this issue thru all day, I have several thoughts and questions. I have never seen this issue before and I have been with the TND's since 2008.

When you bought the 520 did it have a clear round sticker holding the lid shut? If not, then it is possible you got a return instead of a new TND.

1. Did you use the DC cord that came with the 520? If yes, ignore the rest of the questions.
    2. If you used the USB cable to connect to a DC source, what did you connect too?
    3. The DC cord only uses pins 1 and 5 for power. The USB cable has all 5 pins active.
    4. If you used the USB cable it is possible whatever you connected to also has pins 2, 3, and 4 active which would cause the TND to think it was connecting to a computer.
    5. Some in dash stereo's do have a USB port. All 5 of these pins are active.
    6. The stand alone DC plugs that convert the 12vdc down to 5vdc, but use a USB port to the device. I am not sure if pins 2, 3, and 4 are active.

I see you found TTR once you felt the 520 was not 100% operational, but after 30 days. Did you Google this or did you know about TTR beforehand. If knowing about before hand, why not post to TTR about the issue. It could have been resolved one way or another.

Thanks,
    Mark

mattbnr Thanks this.
  4. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    non-GIS note of the day: the computerized voice reads "BR" (business route) as "brother" (i.e. take exit 260, US-6 brother).

Mark Kling Thanks this.
  5. diesel_cowboy

diesel_cowboy Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2013
    I am trying to hook a Rand McNally 720 to a Virgin Mobile Overdrive Pro, keeps telling me my password is wrong, HELP!

6. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    E-Mail me at rmleadbetatester@gmail.com

It has to do with the Overdrive pro security settings.

View attachment 60112

Thanks,
    Mark

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
    diesel_cowboy Thanks this.
  7. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Which state?

Thanks,
    Mark

8. diesel_cowboy

diesel_cowboy Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Thanks Mark, it worked.

Mark Kling Thanks this.
  9. jmroadhog

jmroadhog Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Grand Forks BC
    Mark

My wife's tnd 700 finally bit the dust as the usb port on the unit has become loose and won't charge or power the unit. As she was on the road in CA and is lost without a gps , she bought a 720 from the Pilot at Kramer Jct in CA. On the Purchase receipt it says to register for LTM on the Dock but there is no button on the dock to do this,and on the dock it says that she is not registered for LTM. Is there another way to register or is it automatic as she did register the unit.Serial #720061083.

Thank
    John

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  10. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    I believe that was Utah i15 sb exiting to us-6.

GIS note of the day: There is a weigh station/rest area at mm150 on us285 in New Mexico (helpful because otherwise it is 80 miles between truck stops/parking). My RM atlas actually shows a picnic table on that part of the map so I'm not sure why it isn't in the TND rest area/truck parking POIs....

Mark Kling Thanks this.
  11. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    PM me her name/E-Mail address.

Thanks,
    Mark

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.