Suppport Thread for the TND 500, TND 700 or future Rand McNally products.

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Mark Kling, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmroadhog

jmroadhog Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Grand Forks BC
    Ya that is the problem with the way routes are calculated.I have been using the Rand product for a couple of years now and come to the conclusion that there needs to be another setting called PRACTICAL for the vehicles we are driving usually 75 ft of semi truck.I have found that even trying to detour on a set route the unit goes into a hissy fit and won't route the way I want it to unless I cancel the route and start over.I believe this has a lot to do with outdated maps and it needs to calculate routes somewhere between fastest and shortest and forget about allow and prefer and just use the most practical for what we are driving.I have had to make right turns at intersections not meant for 75ft of truck and had to back up in heavy traffic take up the whole intersection and mickey mouse my way around the corner so not to run over street signs,lamp posts and pedestrians and later looked at google maps and seen there was a lot better way to have gone.
    If I need to plan my route on google then why should I spend good money on one of these units?As I have mentioned before,the car function needs to be removed and these units need to be set up for trucks only.

mattbnr Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mattbnr

mattbnr Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Tama,Iowa
    I agree. Why have a car setting in a truck GPS? I almost guarantee the amount of people using a rand for the car features is so low it's not even worth considering.

I normally double check the route using my inrix app and google maps. I would bet 50% of the time I find a better route using the apps. I then have to keep hitting detour to get the route I want or just let it go until it figures out what I'm doing.

jmroadhog Thanks this.
  4. jmroadhog

jmroadhog Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Grand Forks BC
    On another note:
    I started out with the tnd 700 got the 720 when it came out,skipped 710 due to all the usb problems.When my wife started driving put the 700 in her truck.It quit working just before xmas so bought her a 720.Prob with 700 was usb came loose so no charging or dock feature.I took the 700 apart the other day to see if can be fixed and found the usb port completely free of the mobo.As the usb port gets a fair amount of use you would think it would be attached to the mobo realy good,not so, 4 small solder joints and the way the usb pins line up to the connections on the mobo is a Joke,now if the 710 was built similar I can see all the problems they were having with them.
    Haven't looked at the 720 to see if it has better workmanship but these units are cheaply made,I think we are paying for the technology not the actual product.
    Don't know if other brands are made any better but would be interested to find out.

5. UltraZero

UltraZero Medium Load Member

Jul 18, 2013
    I have tried use freeways only and I agree it seems to not work as suggested. Avoid small road also does something similar. Too bad there isn't a way to set the GPS to run interstates til the last minute. LOL.. That would fix my issues.

I had an issue with routing to the TA in Ontario, CA where the GPS would route 7 miles past the exit and then hang a u-turn and come back to it.

What a pain. Was something to do with shortest / fastest distance. In any event, the GPS should not pass up the exit to hang a u-turn.

double yellow Thanks this.
  6. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    I tried both sides of the TA's and to both East/West and they all took exit 57. What model you have (serial on back)?

Thanks,
    Mark

7. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    when I go to Ontario my 510 is perfect
    it hasn't figured out that if I want to go to route 60 afterwards
    I am not going to 10 to 57 to 60
    but I am smarter then it is anyway
    I just show it who is boss

8. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    I like the car feature. Sometimes i have to drive a rental car or company car. it nice to take a faster route under 10 foot bridges when in the car. Its rair, but its a nce feature when do use it.

9. mattbnr

mattbnr Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Tama,Iowa
    I have 6 navigation apps on my phone for that.

10. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    Just set it to fastest route, not shortest

mattbnr Thanks this.
  11. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    This appears to have broken in the latest update. Tested throughout TN & NC on I40 -- it'll show truck speed limit when "show only truck speed limit" is selected but it will just remain on car speed limits for the other two settings. And with "truck only" selected, it'll just stay at 50 or 55mph when the truck restriction ends

Mark Kling Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.