Suppport Thread for the TND 500, TND 700 or future Rand McNally products.

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Mark Kling, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allan5oh

allan5oh Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Winnipeg, mb
    Ever since GPS units came out we've been in a sunspot minimum. Once flares start picking up again we're going to be experiencing things that have never happened before. I can't wait to be going 65 mph through the atlantic ocean!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. k7tkr

k7tkr Medium Load Member

Apr 13, 2010
    It isn't that bad. But if you are really interested or concerned you can check the space weather forcasts out of Boulder, Co eithor on the web or the time signal broadcasts in the HF bands. Forcasts include solor flux indicator, solor winds, flare and sunspot activity etc.

One item concerning sunspots. Remember the hayday of CB radio- just so happened to correspond to one of the most active 11 year cycles we ever experienced.

As I posted before though, the gps constellation had a number of birds down for routine maintenance which may have been responsible for the ratty data.

Think I've posted enough on this and it's a little far of field from the purpose of this forum.

4. Turn&Burn

Turn&Burn Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2014
    For the guys complaining about satellite problems...It seems other systems deal with bad data better. If your going 65 mph it shoudl know your not on a side road even if the position is off. Yea maybe some sats were down and causing problems, but Rand mc should be able to deal with it better.

5. allan5oh

allan5oh Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Winnipeg, mb
    Meh it wasn't a big deal, it recalculated for me once then it was fine. Like I said above if you think this is a problem, wait until we start getting solar flares again. The last time was around 04/05. We've been in a minimum since. This will affect us and all GPS units more than what happened Tuesday.

Jarhed1964 and Dieselboss Thank this.
  6. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Depends on how many it is seeing and using. Four satellites used is the basic to put you in your current location. Anything less and the area is larger for your position.

Like a Lat or Long. It is broke down by hours/min/sec. If you know the hour, you are at point x which could be a larger area. Then more you know the better it can triangulate your position.

Thanks,
    Mark

7. k7tkr

k7tkr Medium Load Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Gps is not going to "know" what speed your going of it can't get or see the sat data. Speed is a comparison from where you just were to just now basically. As Mark posts- generally you need at least four sats for what's called a 3d fix which is the best fix. Have to remember these are dang near microwave frequencys the GPS nav strings are broadcast on and are absoutly line-of-sight. Does not take much to lose the signal.

8. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Yep, I think that was the point Richter & I were trying to make, but upon further investigation it seems to be an unfair comparison since Google & certain qualcomm/maptuit/navigo units also use cell towers.

9. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Ah, I was waiting for that to come to light.....

Thanks,
    Mark

SilverShadow Thanks this.
  10. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    I E-Mailed you that Border Crossing Custom POI file. You get it?

Thanks,
    Mark

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.