Sure ain,t what it used to be.

Discussion in 'Wal-Mart' started by Voyager55, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Hammerdowntrucker

Hammerdowntrucker Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2017
    So how you like the slip seat? Hope your cleaning the truck with clorax wipes every week. We have a gal that slips every week into a truck and that is what she does before she starts her week in one.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    i fuel,grease,wash,clean windows, vacuum,409 floors and Lysol spray and wipe the inside. plus keep cold water in frigid. rain or shine. not for walmart for my follow teammates.

06driver Thanks this.
  4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I don't know which thread to put this in so I guess this will do.
    We're a little mom n pop outfit in northern California. About fifteen years ago we lost three drivers to WalMart. They went to work out of the DC at Red Bluff.
    I don't blame them for leaving. At the time WM was a much better job than working for us and they were all guys with families.
    So far this year, two of them have come back here looking for work. They're still hanging in with WM but they're sick of it. They said it's really not a good place to work anymore.
    We pay by the hour with overtime and benefits We have a safety bonus and a longevity bonus and the guys are usually home every night. We have very few openings. Most guys stay until they retire.
    When they compared what they make with WM and what they could make with us working similar hours we're a better deal. Didn't used to be but now we are.
    We don't have many openings but when we do we might give those guys a chance.

5. 345_Magnum

345_Magnum Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Area 51
    I have a few longtime driver friends at Red Bluff who just might be interested. I'd give you a call but I'm just too old to start all over. :p

6. REO6205

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

Thanks. We don't have any openings and I don't think we will for a long time.
    I was just musing about how things change and how they don't always change for the better.
    Around here WM used to be the top-of-the-line job and anybody with any ambition wanted to be there.
    No so any more.
    I'll get out of here and let you WM drivers have it back. Good luck to you.

Hammerdowntrucker Thanks this.
  7. foggy

foggy Medium Load Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Don't be surprised if there is not a line of WM drivers at your office tomorrow:(

REO6205 Thanks this.
  8. REO6205

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I wouldn't be surprised but I'd sure hate to see it. I don't know much about WM's operation but from what I understand things are changing and they're not changing for the better. All I know is what I see and hear.
    The guys I know that drive for them are bitter and feel that all the time they've put in - their loyalty and dedication to doing a good job - don't mean anything any more.
    They see what's coming and they're afraid for their jobs.
    WM seemed to have a good system going for a long time but now they're changing things and the drivers are the ones paying the price.
    I see an awful lot of carriers pulling WM trailers.
    So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see more WM drivers on our doorstep. Next to WM we're probably the most decent option available. But, we don't see any openings any time soon. Our guys usually stay until they die or retire.

9. RogerThat72

RogerThat72 Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2014

What company?

10. Hammerdowntrucker

Hammerdowntrucker Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2017
    I have put in my notice to the Porterville DC its time to move on. I have a gut feeling the fleet will be gone sooner than later. Yesterday morning I seen 3 JB Hunt standby trucks parked before the entrance to the DC, why I don't know but they were there parked bobtail waiting. Yes I am bitter and pissed off about the cutbacks and changes to the fleet. I quit my old job which was one of those jobs that was as good as it get's truck yard was about a mile or 2 down the street. I had my own assigned truck and trailer no one drove it but me. I took time off it stayed parked intel I came back to work. Had a 12 day trip same place unload reload in the same dock and return home for 4 days not bad for OTR. Walmart called and I jump quit my old company of 10 years. I have tried to go back but like your company no opening and there drivers stay too. I have found a company with about the same pay as Walmart they too have drivers that have been around for 20 yrs and they only have a fleet of 27 trucks in the U.S and 50 in Canada.

I hate starting over!! I remember on my first day of orientation the HR lady said we want Walmart to be your last driving you will be here intel you retire. I had a thought in my mind when she said that, we will just see in a few years if thats true!!

DOGSLIFE, Western flyer and REO6205 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.