Surprised at Prime Lease Purchase

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by texasmorrell, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Majestic 670

Majestic 670 Heavy Load Member

May 10, 2016
    Landcruiser
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Mercer to Prime..,...

Enjoy the fire.....:)

Cabinover101 and Opus Thank this.
  4. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    So a guy making so much money under his authority has been in communications with Prime more than once...

I liked the Crooked Mercer take you to court thread but this one here seems a little odd...

Sniff sniff....

spyder7723 and Opus Thank this.
  5. texasmorrell

texasmorrell Medium Load Member

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    I never said I was going to Prime. I was just looking into their lease program. I’m not convinced I can make more money there than I can under my own authority. It’s going to take a lot of convincing to make me give up my own authority and go lease on somewhere else. I was also looking at Schneider and maverick. But I haven’t decided on anything yet. I do make pretty good money under my own authority but it’s also a lot of work. I’m starting to get tired of always fighting with brokers for every penny. I’m also tired of the crap freight you find on the spot market load board. There’s a lot to be said about running on your own authority and there’s a lot to be said about being leased on somewhere. Hell even being leased on at Mercer was nice for a while. I was still making pretty good money at Mercer. Turns out they were skimming for me and I should’ve been making even more but my monthly deposits at Mercer we’re about the same as they are now under my own authority. But at Mercer I had some pretty good fuel discounts and I didn’t have to pay $1300 each month for liability insurance. And that can be said for any reputable large carrier. But just because Mercer turned out to be crap doesn’t mean every trucking company is crap. I’m willing to consider other options but I haven’t decided to pull the trigger on anything yet. You have to be willing to give away a lot of freedom when you lease on. But as a one truck owner operator I can honestly say that having your own authority or being leased on somewhere the money that you put in the bank each month is going to be about the same. So I’m willing to listen to anybody sales pitch but I don’t want to make another Mercer mistake that’s for #### sure.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    RubyEagle, Long FLD and p608 Thank this.
  6. Bedbuggin

Bedbuggin Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2019
    There was a guy awhile back that took his lease prime truck to Schneider choice. Also, sni finance will let you take the truck to another carrier after a certain amount of time.

7. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    And you get to be governed at 65 and never home woohoo where do I sign up

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  8. texasmorrell

texasmorrell Medium Load Member

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    Maybe somebody can set me straight. The amount they want per week is the same if you bought the truck with a bank loan. I know, because I checked. I have also been running under my own authority for the last 20 years and I could not afford a new truck on what I was making. Yet, Prime always has new trucks in their fleet. So obviously they are making a lot more off their contract loads than I am off the spot market. There is no other explanation. Yet independent owner ops like me buy new trucks all the time. Do they also stay on the road 365 per year and never go home? Prime hands over a lot of truck titles every year so obviously something is working.

RubyEagle Thanks this.
  9. poppapump1332

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    More power to you sounds like you have it all figured out.

10. poppapump1332

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    I’ll clue you in just like Schneider they double broker the loads before you get your cut along with a crazy high truck note.See 70% of nothing is nothing.No wonder so many guys fail.So focused on truck and have no clue about costs and revenue.You couldn’t make it at Mercer good luck at prime.

11. Rooster1291979

Rooster1291979 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2012
    NOLA
    90 cents per gallon is a horrible deal. If they give you that instead of a fsc they are screwing you.

roshea Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.