Suspended license 20 years ago...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Michelle33, Feb 29, 2024.

1. Michelle33

Michelle33 Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2024
    West Texas
    Hi :D I discovered today that I had a speeding ticket from 20 years ago, that was unpaid and led to a suspended license in the state of Arizona!!

I'm not sure how this happened and I still had a valid California license/insurance for all of these years.. 18 years in California- and then a Texas license for 2 years- but it did. My license has been scanned on military installations and everything! I don't understand how this went unnoticed.

The DMV found it when I was getting my CLP- it only cost $10 for it to get cleared, But Do I have to report this suspension from 20 years ago on my applications?
    It didn't even show up on my MVR- so I'm just really confused about this. I never knew I had this on there! Apparently it showed up now because of the National database system update in 2020.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    77fib77 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    I would keep your documents showing it wasnt on your mvr record..if anyone happends to see anything you can produce that document that shows nothing of its kind on your record

4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    In this situation carefully answer the questions AS ASKED! Don't volunteer information not asked for but honestly answer what is asked. If your DMV could see this chances are it is on some database somewhere.

5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Mama always said, "Keep a your big mouth a shut",, Answer only what is asked, and that goes for DOT inspections too. Proof positive, to me, traffic offenses stay with you for life,,in the Pentagon basement. Something that old may have been a mistake, another person with your name, I wouldn't worry about it.

Wargames and Michelle33 Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Example question:
    "Have you had a speeding ticket within the last 3 years?"
    Answer:
    "No"
    Don't add any information that isn't asked for.

Wargames, Eddiec, bryan21384 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Don't lie on an application.
    Q: Have you EVER had your license suspended?
    A: Yes.

Q: Have you had a suspension of your license in the last 10 years?
    A: No

8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    You state it only cost $10 to "get it cleared" , does that mean no court, no fine etc ? Just curious

9. Michelle33

Michelle33 Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2024
    West Texas
    Yes. I just called the Arizona phone number, paid 10$ over the phone and they cleared it. I was able to finish the CLP process right afterwards.

10. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    How this happened if I read it right
    You got ticket in Arizona and had a California license.

You didn't take care of the ticket so Arizona suspended your license....

BUT Arizona can't suspended an out of state license so your California license was still good. Effectively only suspending your right to drive in Arizona.

You would have found this out the hard way if you'd been pulled over for anything in Arizona in the last 20 years

Bean Jr. and 201 Thank this.
  11. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Depending on the interstate compact deal they might be able to do that. While you are correct that Arizona can't suspend a California DL, they can evoke the deal upon notifying California of the unpaid ticket. This happened to my brother-in-law about 15 years ago. Greenville County SC made a clerical error and Georgia suspended his Georgia DL because of it. It was quickly fixed once he was told his DL had been suspended. The problem most have with this is the error of thinking only a Judge can suspend a DL. The state DMV can do so in almost all state's administrability.

201 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.