Swift crash on I-85 kills co-driver/trainer

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by A_C_Cooper, Apr 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    Was just looking and there are only now 4 real Academy's and our, believe it or not, government approved (yeah like they need to be involved), Lewiston, Memphis, Phoenix and Corsicana. SLC might have been doing testing out

otherhalftw Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Is Swift still doing that "Close Quarter Training"? They used to be a bit forgiving if a driver got into a "situation" in parking areas or anything not highway related.

4. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    Yep, I had to do one. My safety instructor had 5 years exp, and when I had to back up, I did it the old school way, drove by real slow, stopped, looked all around and then set up and backed up. She was not happy. I did not get out and look. Told her, sorry, I am old school. You look while getting set up and then just before backing up, getting out to open doors and looking all around again and back it in. That sending a GOAL message is the worst idea ever.

5. KriegHund

KriegHund Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2015
    On a hill south of heaven
    That 180* was an absolute flawless work of art! :)

Lepton1 and otherhalftw Thank this.
  6. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    Teaming is exhausting. And when its your turn to drive, it doesn't matter if you're tired or not. This is the experience I had with my training at swift. Shame on them.

7. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Rip drivers Another factor regarding swifts numbers is the 22'000 drivers is in reality probably closer to 50'000 if you consider turnover ratio

8. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Hmm, so if you knew a steer tire was about to blow out, wouldn't 57 seem a little fast?

9. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    Would a pretrip suffice?

10. SurgeTrucking

SurgeTrucking Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2016
    Twin Cities, MN
    I can't help but notice a small bias by the writer of this article in my opinion.. "1 in 10 drivers have been in a crash since 2014", meaning 90% of a fleet of 22,000+ drivers have not been involved in an accident?..

The numbers sound staggering until put into perspective by scale of the company relative to the rest of the industry. Seems to tell a better story than what was depicted in that article.

11. Air Breeze

Air Breeze Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    Can you name any other Industry that has had 56 fatalities, and probably a much larger number of injured employed by a single company in a 2 year period? And that is a staggering number of accidents. Companies like SWIFT should be shut down permanently as they have demonstrated for decades that they are a major safety hazard to the public at large.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.