SWIFT, CRST, SUPER SERVICE, JB HUNT.. my experience with

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by panicrooster, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Dog, your story mirrors my own, almost word for word. That's two who aren't lazy who didn't do well at SwiftQuit.

Funny thing about SwiftQuit--everyone I have known on in-person basis (this excludes website "relationships") who quit the 'Quit moved on to other outfits, acted the same way they did at SwiftQuit, and did very well. This is because laziness had nothing to do with it. Well, laziness on the part of these particular drivers had nothing to do with it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. panicrooster

panicrooster Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2007
    winchester va
    I actually love driving big trucks. I trully do. I feel like it was meant to be and in my blood for life. Just being away from the truck for a few days, I can't wait to get back in and start 'er up. BUT, after a couple weeks, I'm almost jumping out before I stop to get out. Gotta' have breaks. My earlier points, which I trully believe in, was mostly because I read so much negative bs and listen to even more by other drivers. I've often found out, after the fact, that the fellow employee complaining left out all the dumb stuff they did. That's very common. I don't mean just what the company tells me.. other drivers that know the guy tell me.

As far as Swift, they are a big company and there is an inherent problem with large co's 'cause that makes you more of a number. Naturally, you will be effected by this. As far as home time, they were actually better at giving me my time than CRST and Super Service combined. BUT, I lived within 2 hours of the Richmond terminal and could drop the truck and wasn't stuck with a "load through home" deal. But I want to add something.. after leaving Swift there are 3 major things I then missed. Drop n hooks which IS a plus with them, wasn't forced to drive illegal and home time I actually did get. Also, I could tell them what time I'd be ready for dispatch the next morning and if i couldn't do a load they dropped the preplan. Try those at any other co and see how they act. Honestly, if their trucks did 68mph+ I'd probably go back to work for them.

As far as J.B. Hunt they are also a big company and same rules apply. I'm overall just a number. I'm doing a dedicated and that helps, but there are definitely things I wish were different. I go home each day but only to sleep and they push us to drive on saturdays although they hire saying monday through friday only. Sometimes I think I'd be happier sticking to OTR and seeing different routes. I can say that I hate their slow trucks and I'm out so much I might as well be OTR with a faster truck with a smaller company that actually knows me by a name and not a number.

Like I said before in a different message, each co s going to have pro's and con's, and those will be better or worse for different drivers. Some would be alot happier than me at JB with what I started recently, but honestly, I'm happier on the road traveling far and less stops. Also I'm not married or tied down any longer and have that luxury. I've spent most of my OTR without even having an apartment and was fine. Bought alot of stuff and low bills. Saving and alot of money, which makes me feel like going back to it also. What makes me happy will be different from others.

Personally, some negatives or con's can be, in my view, used in a positive way. For example: a bigger company treats you like a number. Oh well, but the good side is you get lost in the numbers and not bugged as much by safety department, or upper administration, like you definitely do at smaller places. A large company has more drivers and you can more easily get out of loads that suck or low miles (if you're slick like me) and less hassle over saying you can't because there's drivers always around where you are. If i needed a little break, I'd wait for the evening skeleton crew to come on (works with even medium sized co's) and change things or set availability and they had no clue with all the drivers.

There is also a luxury in knowing you can quit any company and always have a job somewhere else. That's one reason why many co's have high turn over rates. Also part of the reason why many dispatchers and administration act the way they do. They resent we make more than alot of them and also we can quit and leave for greener pastures.. they can't. So, keep that in mind when you hound or argue with your low paid dispatcher. lol..

All have a good one, and hope you all find what you want and deserve!

4. Mr_Dude

Mr_Dude Engineer Of Doom

Aug 18, 2007
    Lowell, Arkansas
    Someone said that they're thinking our trucks are going up to 68-71 MPH in 2008. Unverified Claim, but that would take away another reason to stay away. better question: How would you feel if JBHT was passing you?! LOL.

5. skullitor

skullitor Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2005
    New England
    Don't worry;Us Schneider drivers can't pass anyone! Even C.R.England trucks pass us. 63 mph LEAD SLEDS!!! But bright Orange.

Attached Files:

6. Mr_Dude

Mr_Dude Engineer Of Doom

Aug 18, 2007
    Lowell, Arkansas
    There's a Video on Youtube of a Schneider truck passing another schneider truck. One of them's doing 63, the other one's doing 63 Miles and 1 foot per hour.

BTW, is it true that Schneider puts their used engine oil in their Diesel fuel tanks? is that why the Orange is almost always covered in Black Soot???

7. skullitor

Aug 5, 2005
    New England
    Mr.Dude; Sad but soooooooooooooooo true!!!

8. Mr_Dude

Mr_Dude Engineer Of Doom

Aug 18, 2007
    Lowell, Arkansas
    You know if the EPA was in on that ####, Schneider would be KOed for at least 2-3 weeks.

Even the new CATs here would be more fuel efficient and less polluting than that crap!

9. skullitor

Aug 5, 2005
    New England
    True, but SNI loves those detroit series 60 engines.

10. Mr_Dude

Mr_Dude Engineer Of Doom

Aug 18, 2007
    Lowell, Arkansas
    So do we, but to my knowledge, we aren't putting EO in the DIESEL.

We use DD because of the maintenance and cost and fuel efficiency.

Cummins (at least the remaining ones) are more or less Mid-roofs for flatbeds, few OTRs, and some daycabs. Most of the Mercedes are GONE. And then there's the newly incoming Cats. We'll see how they do in Efficiency, Maintenance, and cost.

11. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    Those Mercedes must have been as reliable as ours if most are already gone.

When I saw the new trucks coming out of the Freightliner plant with JB on the side and Mercedes on the fender I knew there was going to be widespread trouble.

The good fuel mileage quickly gets made up for in frequent problems and long wait times for parts, like days or weeks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.