SWIFT, CRST, SUPER SERVICE, JB HUNT.. my experience with

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by panicrooster, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Blastin Star

Blastin Star Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Rio rancho NM
    Sure the companys you mention is a good way to start out, but having a mentor with you for 6 weeks can be a killer, the mentors treat you like slaves you drive day and night run your logs not by the law at all, lucky if you get a chance to eat or sleep for that matter, as for the extra training if your not willing to get up under the mentor to watch what he is doing you wont learn a thing. I voice my opion and It would be good for all new drivers that are going out with a mentor to do the same, you know what is wrong speak up!!! we are human and deserve to be treated like one! be safe out there on the road get your rest, do not let the mentor take advantage of you. he is working for you rember that for your own safety. If you do not voice what is going on in the mentor program to your driver manager they will never know what is going on,and it will continue to get worse and never get fixed. know what is right from wrong
    Blastin Star

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RR9501

RR9501 Light Load Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Chesapeake, VA
    J.B.Hunt: On this one I'm still new to the company, so for all fairness I'm not going to make any judgement against or in their defense except what I have dealt with so far. For starters, they pay higher than most companies. Alot more than many. I've gone straight into a dedicated position (i recommend), that in my opinion is the best possible move. It's the Home Depot account. Mon-Fri, off entire weekend, paid over $.40/mile and $4 every 15 minutes at each HD location. Day cab and go home daily. Paid $160 for the 6 major holidays.

so im just curious, do they have that dedicated account around here?
    not that i ever considered going wiht JB, i've heard a lot bad about them...
    do you have to unload/lump the freight yourself?,,,,whats involved? is it drop/hk? i'd apretiate all details u could provide me with.,..thanks...i'd like to find something local thats all drop/hk...or all no touch....does this exist?..lol

4. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Lewisville TX
    I worked for Swift for a yr, my mentor never had me run my log any way but legal.. The first two weeks of training, he was in the jump seat the whole time, never letting me out of his sight. Then next two weeks we drove 5 hrs each, then shut down together each night. The last 2 weeks was suppose to be team, but I had a hard time, sleeping when the truck was moving. So we ended up one week team, and the other week, split but still a solo truck.. Now the first poster said the opti idle sucked, far from it, it kept me cool during the summer, and warm during the winter..

5. RR9501

RR9501 Light Load Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Chesapeake, VA
    wow, im glad u had a good trainer, i've heard many rumors about trainers runing the dog outta ya while they "take a vacation"....this is the way all trainers should act....

6. steeleon1972

steeleon1972 Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Manitowoc, WI
    Must be rare, because I don't see a reson to run illegal when in training between the two of you there is 140 hours for the week. Even with our slow trucks it is easy to get 5000 if not over 6000 miles in a week, and the trainer gets paid on all the miles.
    At Swift the first week should be solo miles with trainer in front, and other weeks can be run team. They used to run team right out of the gate, but with the majority of accidents being first week of training, and some bad ones, they changed the rules for week 1 at least.

7. Blastin Star

Sep 21, 2008
    Rio rancho NM
    do you rember your mentor is your mentor still in swift

8. Blastin Star

Sep 21, 2008
    Rio rancho NM
    lol think i posted in wrong place, is that mentor still working for swift? i would like to have that mentor for my training
    blastin star

9. doubledragon5

Jun 8, 2008
    Lewisville TX

My mentor quit 6 months after me, and is working local as well. We keep in tough often..

10. doubledragon5

Jun 8, 2008
    Lewisville TX

There is many ways to run illegal even in a solo truck training. Your trainer might work on your log, when he is legally off of his. I have heard of this happening often..

The Challenger Thanks this.
  11. marksovine

marksovine Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Woodstock, GA

I have been there and done that with Super Service. Probably one of the worst run businesses in the industry, other than J.B. Hunt. I tried them 3 times. I don't think I was ever home on time and they always wanted me to leave out earlier than scheduled. Serious arguments with management over this. I missed doctors appointments which made me go without Blood Pressure meds, resulting in damage to my kidneys and now my eyesight is affected. This happened so many times I couldn't even begin to count. I can tell you how many times I ever got home on time, though. They answer is NONE! They have planners sitting on loads until they are late for pickup, then they put it on you, force you to run over your legal hours and get your ### if it is late for delivery. Then, on Friday, you can be sure your check is screwed up. Sign on boinus they advertise??? Don't hol;d your breath. Screw them. I have been with US Express 2 1/2 years now. There is good reason for my longevity!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.