Swift for an experienced solo driver working out of the Memphis Terminal?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Leftnut, Feb 4, 2015.

1. 27butterfly

27butterfly Medium Load Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Pittsburg, Texas
    I had issues with fuel separator coming on after fueling at Terminal, thanks I might just do that :biggrin_25517:.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    As I mentioned, I am not out of Memphis.
    My home terminal is Otay Mesa, CA. (San Diego)

I would suggest you wait to become a mentor until you have a lot more experience.

4. 27butterfly

Aug 1, 2013
    Pittsburg, Texas
    I want to do lease purchase and maybe change to Memphis, could I get away with staying out of Pennsylvania and Washington, I just don't like them lol?

5. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    The fuel separator coming on?
    Not really sure what you are talking about.

If you had a problem after fueling at a terminal, how could you blame it on the terminal?
    No one touches your truck while you are fueling except for you, no matter where you fuel.

6. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    The nature of your posts suggest that you really need more experience before mentoring or trying to lease a truck.
    A lot more.

7. 27butterfly

Aug 1, 2013
    Pittsburg, Texas
    I am not a mechanic but that is what happened with last truck I had, and I have 1 1/2 years experience but six with Swift, I have seen Mentors with way less than that and I have a family of drivers who I have watched over the years so even though I am not a long time driver I believe I can do better than one who has no trucking background whatsoever, face it if your not on a dedicated account, mentoring or owner operator, it is not easy here being new. I never wanted to be owner operator or Mentor but they asked me when I went solo before when my best friend went home because her husband wanted her home and I said no, after that I started getting 34 miles, 26 miles, 264 mile loads not making anything and ready to quit. I am looking into anything and everything to make it work for me here and am first just going to look into just owner operator with a dedicated or see how it works with me getting home OTR at least every three to four weeks for two to three days off because I have four kids that I do not get any support for from father, my father has helped me tremendously and I came into trucking because after busting my back as a Nurse Aide and then as a Medical Assistant I cannot make enough doing that to take care of my kids. I don't expect to always be OTR but you know as well as I do that it is something everyone has to go through to get a wide variety of local jobs to choose from, so I don't like the idea of Mentoring either but lets face it, how many old timers are mentoring and how many truly care about safety and teaching safety, as for me I read, ask questions, watch any videos I can get my hands on and other than being really mechanically inclined I think I could do better than some other Mentors if I were to do it. My second Mentor only had three months and my best friends Mentor had the same amount of time, my friend had to call me when she was in California because her (Mentor did not know where to slide tandems and I had to tell her what to do as the trailer was not marked, so not being a butt, but yes I know if I come across something I don't know I will make sure to find someone who knows instead of doing something that can harm me or others or get me a ticket I cannot afford. Your intentions are good and I agree that more experience is better but when a company will take someone with less than me who may have no intention but to make better money then I had rather Mentor because I have good intentions as to teach as much as I can about being safe and not just running whatever no matter how road conditions may be etc. because I just want them to make me miles attitude. I hope you do not take this in a mean way but I just wanted to state my thinking right now, and I am definitely not making this comment about all the Mentors because I have seen many good ones but also many with bad attitudes.

8. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Of course I don't take it in a mean way, and I can see how good your intentions are as well.

Do you really think it will be easier if you lease a truck and/or become a mentor?
    That is adding at least one more level of complexity to your life.

Your medical background is a good start to further that career. You might be able to qualify for assistance to get the education needed for a good paying job in that field.
    I make the suggestion because my ex-wife is a nurse, and she makes pretty good money.
    She didn't as a CNA, which is your current level of training. But it gets much better one level up.
    That would also give you a lot more than 3 days a month with your kids.

Sorry, but I don't think trucking is a very good job for a single mother - or a single father for that matter.
    It will never pay nearly as well, or give you the time with your kids, as advancing in the medical field could.

9. 27butterfly

Aug 1, 2013
    Pittsburg, Texas
    I had an Associates in Medical Assistant, my mother is a Nurse as well, and believe me truck driving pales no comparison to the mental and physical work of the health care field, give your wife props for the crap she puts up with. And, OTR is not for someone single as I said before but local work, what is the difference in a local driving job than any other job? I have applied to several local trucking jobs and they either cannot take me due to insurance wanting more experience or they don't seem thrilled to hire a woman. Besides the Vacuum Truck job I had when I first started there is nothing else and they want me to come back but that is still not local as that was to get me experience and that is in West Texas where my father lives but I have a home in East Texas. Well, thanks anyways, I guess I will see tomorrow if I can get something Dedicated or Regional but I have a feeling that will not happen as I have seen that all the ones that started at the same time I did have dedicated etc. already except me and two other women, just saying.

10. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I hope you find something to your liking, 27butterfly.

11. 27butterfly

Aug 1, 2013
    Pittsburg, Texas
    I always love hearing what you and Moosetek13 have to say. I'm back at Swift Transportation, started back September 30th. I had to send in a Mac 22 because I had so many issues that I knew would make me late. Well, three hours before my new appointment and 60 miles from it they rescheduled for the 13th which is six days but I'm waiting for them to T call it probably to Memphis because I'm two hours away. I have learned from the past and don't let things get to me like I did when I first started so I know not to freak out and stress over this. I agree with you two on what you say and since I have quit stressing I have actually been able to enjoy it so far even though I have already been in the shop for steer tires, had my personal GPS crash while at the same time the Qualcomm quit too and I was in the boonies Freedom Oklahoma lol. And, I'm like you, I'm lazy and don't want to run like crazy, I want to enjoy the scenery some while running.

Milkman719 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.