swift having one really really bad day in Pennsylvania..

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by drvrtech77, Oct 27, 2012.

1. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Lost trucker takes destructive turnaround in Bellco Credit Union parking lot in Spring Township

Newly planted tree, light post and roof over drive-up lanes damaged

Lost trucker takes destructive turnaround in parking lot
    SPRING TWP., Pa. - Hours before a ribbon cutting celebration at a new credit union, a lost trucker crashed the party.
    An 18-wheeler plowed into the brand new Bellco Federal Credit Union off Route 724 in Spring Twp., Berks Co., only one month after it opened its doors.
    The driver was headed in the wrong direction, and his destructive turn happened just before 8 a.m. Tuesday morning.
    Quick Clicks

Tire tracks marked the start of tractor trailer's collision course. A stop sign was snapped on its side, a tree uprooted and concrete shattered.
    "It almost sounded like two trains when they buckle together," said Chris Brister, who witnessed the crash.
    It wasn't two trains, but instead an 18-wheeler that tried to turn around through the parking lot of the credit union. It's an ironic crash that happened nearly eight hours before crowds arrived for the ribbon cutting for the credit union's VIP grand opening.
    "I saw the truck coming down the straight away, and I saw him come around the back of the bank," said Nick Jablonski, who works at the Cloister Car Wash across the street.
    The credit union's surveillance cameras captured what happened in between. The big rig's tire blew after it careened over a concrete light post. Then, around the corner of the branch, cameras showed the truck smack into the roof over the drive thru. Another view showed the truck airborne as debris came raining down.
    "Our staff comes in through the back door, and I'm glad they weren't walking in at that time or had their cars parked over there because at the rate of speed he was going, I'm not sure what would have happened," said Kirsten Keim-Shendge, marketing manager for Bellco.
    The truck driver was upset and declined an interview, but he told 69 News he was on his way to the Kmart down the road in Cumru Township. His GPS alerted him he was heading in the wrong direction on Route 724, so he pulled into the credit union to turn around.
    The truck also suffered enough damage to render it inoperable.
    "It could have been a lot worse. A little cosmetic damage isn't going to stop our event," said Keim-Shendge.
    The ribbon was still cut, and the branch still opened for business.
    Police are still investigating, and they said citations will most likely be filed.

http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-regio...ship/-/121418/17006460/-/fd4rf4z/-/index.html

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Guess he forgot he was 13'6" tall and 75' long...

Cetane+ Thanks this.
  4. mg1224

mg1224 Light Load Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Western South East
    ...and people wonder why more and more roads and areas are becoming no truck zones.

5. evd

evd Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Reading PA
    been lost is no reason for speed he was going while try to make that turn .

pes2 and Truckergirl0720 Thank this.
  6. mamamullins

mamamullins Medium Load Member

May 4, 2011
    Ingalls, IN
    What an idiot.....I guess he is saying, " will Insurance fix that".

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2012
    Truckergirl0720 and Cetane+ Thank this.
  7. biododge1

biododge1 Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2011
    chicago Il
    well, im not surprised one bit. Obviously just another wheel holder. I lol when he used the gps excuse. I wonder at what point would he have finally stopped if the truck hadn't gave out? IMO, i think he would kept going and never said a word

8. BossOutlaw88

BossOutlaw88 Road Train Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Cali
    The video capture of the end of another dumb driver's career. Tragic.

9. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    They say a picture is worth a thousand words. With the video showing just exactly how fast the steering wheel holder was going, is there really anything he/she could say to make me believe this was an "accident"? This was a blatant disregard for private property. Loss of job, period. Maybe the local Walmart has an opening for a greeter this holiday season.

Hammer166, TRKRSHONEY and 48Packard Thank this.
  10. DirtyBob

DirtyBob Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    In his defense, it was a tiny tree he uprooted...

I don't even know what to say. Was he even going to stop after running over the light pole at mach speed if he didn't tear part of the building down after? Doing that speed over the pole is outrageous let alone continuing on hauling #####.

11. Jorihe84

Jorihe84 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    North Florida
    That poor brand new cascadia

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.