Swift in Atlanta dec 14th

Discussion in 'Swift' started by OwenJ, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Rug_Trucker

Rug_Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    In TN you have to show your physical to take the test for your permit.

When you go to roientation at Swift you get another physical. They tell you your old physical is toilet paper.

Going to school you aren't an employee. You flunk anything in orientation and you owe Swift for the school whether you get hired or not.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pixel

Pixel Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2010
    You're going to the terminal in Decatur? OMG I have sympathy for you. That driver services lady is the worst and in orientation the guy accuses everybody incessantly of not listening, not paying attention, and says that trucking is horrible, that the slightest mistakes on your logs can land you in jail, that you'll never be home, that "most of the people in this class won't make it" et cetera. I got the distinct impression they were trying to chase off everybody who was new to the field.

Both mentors that were found for me gave up after two days and dumped me off at the terminal. Of course I get all the blame because I don't know what I'm doing (hello, I'm a trainee). So.. my husband who has previous experience is nearly done with his training, and I've lost my job in the meantime while I wait for him to be able to train me because those people there won't do their jobs.

A tip in advance: when you have difficulties with this terminal, get in touch with someone at the Phoenix terminal. They are more helpful.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  4. Rug_Trucker

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    The safety guy there was pretty nice. I took a class there. Some of the people in the shop need to read "How to Win Friends and Influence People"

5. Pixel

Pixel Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Was he the bald fellow? I agree he was all right, and the shop guy was hilarious. Unfortunately they were the only bright spots to my experience. Of course orientation is only 3 days. If you can not let the "omg I have to teach a class" guys get to you, you'll get past it. My personal experience trying to get an appropriate mentor has been a nightmare.

6. Rug_Trucker

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    Yep the bald guy.

Trust me Swift wants as many newbies as they can get. Just watched 2 women that are running team drop and hook. It was hilarious. One has been out for 4 months, the other just got off her mentor's truck.

7. Pixel

Pixel Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2010
    See, if you can make light of mistakes and inexperience and make learning fun, then it's no big deal. I never got any of that. I just got verbal abuse and blame for my inexperience. Maybe it's just me, but I am extremely bitter toward the company at the moment.

Anyway, my 2¢. If the OP has any previous experience or doesn't try to get a female mentor it will probably be ok. Just don't expect a lot of help with problems.

Texas-Nana Thanks this.
  8. Rug_Trucker

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    There are good and bad mentors out there. I got a good one. He has trained 1 woman. She couldn't change gears or back worth a poot. She is still trucking at Swift and got much better.

9. DC CAB

DC CAB Medium Load Member

Couldn't be more wrong. It's called preparing you for life on the road and giving you reality instead of a sugar coating.

BarnDog Thanks this.
  10. LoneRider

LoneRider Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Davenport, FL
    Would I be wrong by thinking that since a newbee gets few miles until he/she can prove themselves worthy of better loads/miles, it will be better to team up bcs even if you are newbee two in the truck will see relatively more miles? i am just weighting my option once I get a job with Swift whether start solo or team

11. Pixel

Pixel Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Yeah you go ahead and tell people that. Also tell them that it's normal for you to be stuck in a mentor truck that has only 1 bunk and you are forced to sleep in the passenger seat like I had to.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.