Swift Mentor not safe in ice and snow

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Spincycled, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Spincycled

Spincycled Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2018
    Still with a mentor and I have asked him to slow down or shut it down several times in the ice and snow. All the other trucks had there flashers on and we're going about 30 mph slower than us in snowy icy roads. He laughs it off and says it's because they are not used to it . Yeah right
    Another time he came up behind some trucks so fast down a hill that we slid on the ice trying to slow down in time .Today the parking lot is so icy that it's like an ice skating rink , but he still thinks it's ok. After living and driving in snow and ice for many yrs, I know he's not being safe and driving too fast for condition s. Anyone know who I would call to get a new mentor?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    I would talk to the Safety department and explain to them what your mentor is doing.

4. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Yes report this imbecile to your safety dept. at once. What an idiot.

LGarrison, bzinger, D.Tibbitt and 4 others Thank this.
  5. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    Act fast. Don't wait until you're in a ditch or worse.

6. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    Everyone has their own comfort level in different driving conditions, when others are “uncomfortable” and shut down, I will keep driving because after 23 winters out here my comfort level will exceed what some guy who has only been out here a few years.

7. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I would stay in my lane.

Mind my own business drive my own way and just try to get off that truck fast and smooth.

If you complain to safety they probably won’t do anything. If they call him he will know it’s you, create drama, waste time, probably be dropped off and have to wait for a new trainer, all this crap can be avoided by just keeping to yourself.

Tombstone69 Thanks this.
  8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    call your safety dept. the mentor is a fool
    i got 40 years winter driving, and no matter what, i never feel "too comfortable"

i think once someone "feels too overly confident or comfortable", is when crap happens.

it's like driving with complacency. and that's not a good idea.

there was/is no need for the o/p's mentor to drive the way he does, what's he trying to prove, and to whom..????

o/p, again contact the safety dept, and put a nail in that whack jobs coffin...

it "may seem like" you're ratting him out, when it is rather self preservation of not only YOU, but other trainee's in the future...

remember, you may be dead by his driving, but he will go on to another job, only to continue doing his bull crap.

i don't "feel", he has any conscience......

9. Spincycled

Spincycled Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2018
    Good point . Hes got an excuse for everything.i Try to give him hints like the pileup wreck Michigan where I think 58 drivers were given tickets for driving too fast for condition s. He says that's just the cops impression.
    A lawyer will get you out of the ticket. You couldn't help it because the roads were too bad. Also he could be driving safe one minute
    And the next he is all into a conversation on his headset and doesn't know or care that he's going downhill 65 mph in a 45 mph truck speed limit. Not only is it unsafe but isn't 20 mph over speed limit a serious violation in a commercial vehicle? I heard you can get your license suspended for 30 days?

Kyle G. Thanks this.
  10. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    you see, i am as different from some of the others here..

what do i mean...??

i drop dimes (an old saying) on stuff that is (to me) totally unsafe.

now, some have said, for you to call the safety dept, for sure, but i do not stop, i keep pursuing things.

when it is (say) someone driving over a bush in a customers yard, i can look the other way, crap happens.

but when it is a moron (my description from what you say here), he/she/it, needs to be removed from a training position, and maybe from the company as well.

if you report him (and i really wish you would), and let's say 1 week or 2 months from now he has a major wreck, i'd be of the belief that finishes him off, not just from Swift, but perhaps permanently as well...

looking at it another way...would you rather have a safer driver, behind you (when you go solo), driving carefully, or this jerk coming up your donkey, possibly rear ending you, causing you to either jackknife, go into a ditch or over a bridge????

do what is right, and safe not only for you, but others out there on our roads.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  11. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    When you were assigned to a mentor, you were also assigned a coordinator at your terminal. You have that person's name and phone number. That's who you call if you have ANY problems with your mentor and if your post is legitimate you would know this.

In that you haven't already done this makes me question whether your post is nothing more than drama queen crap.

Frank

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.