Swift out of Syracuse, NY

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Birdeye56, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Birdeye56

Birdeye56 Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2008
    NY
    Anyone have any recent info on this terminal? Orientation,mentor,your own rig timeframes and experiences.

Thanking you in advance,

Birdeye :biggrin_2554:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CryptKeeper

CryptKeeper Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Denver,CO
    Im not out of Syracuse but i can help you a little bit. Syracuse is a smaller terminal so things may be delayed. As far aq orientation is I don't know. The other answer to your questions are pretty much when one is available. As far as getting a truck it is a smaller trmnl so you may have trouble getting a truck as quickly as you may need one.

Birdeye56 Thanks this.
  4. Birdeye56

Dec 7, 2008
    NY
    I know according to my recruiter in Memphis, she says 3 day orientation then 4-6 weeks with a mentor,then my truck. I just hope there is not a large time span between all 3 of them. I have been dealing with Swift for just over a month now trying to get in to orientation as there always full classes! Maybe I can request going to another terminal to pick up a rig?

Thanks,
    Birdeye :biggrin_255:

5. Pillsbury

Pillsbury Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2008
    NKC,mo
    swifty is real slow right now like everyone. they arent in any hurry to hire rookies so just tough it out you will get there

6. Birdeye56

Dec 7, 2008
    NY
    Are you with Swift?

Birdeye:biggrin_2554:

7. CryptKeeper

CryptKeeper Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Denver,CO
    Don't rely on what recuiters tell you at swift. Timeframes for getting things done varies. As far as mentor is concerned it could go a few ways. When you get out of orientation if they give you a road test after you may get your own truck if you have prior experience. The other way is you may take a road test after orientation and the road tester that gave it to you may only think you need a couple weeks. Or you may have to go out for the full 6. As far as getting a mentor it depends on whats available. Also keep in mind it could go beyond 6 weeks as you will have a final test after your mentorship so try to learn as much as you can. When it comes to getting your own truck you may get one right when you solo out or you may have to wait.

8. Birdeye56

Dec 7, 2008
    NY
    Thanks! I have old experience in tanker and OTR trailer from late 70's early 80's and took some refresher lessons to get my CDL again in November. Passed the road test with little problems but not bad after being out of a rig over 25 years! I guess i'll find out after orientation on 1/13/09 for 3 days......I know as well recruiters get paid on head count and could care less!

Birdeye:biggrin_25525:

9. Pillsbury

Pillsbury Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2008
    NKC,mo
    it took me 2 weeks after being w/mentor 6wks to get my truck. but the qualcomm and all the macros is what u need to pay attention to while u r with ur mentor. i am with swift and been solo for 4 wks now. still learning stuff. but they r pretty good about keeping u going just one word of advice dont turn down loads unless u know u cant make it on time. they are trying to weed out lazy and incompitent drivers cause they are reducing their company trucks. like everyone else they want lease purchase drivers.

10. Birdeye56

Dec 7, 2008
    NY
    Thanks! Like I said I have driven years ago so for me it is the updated logs, qualcomm, and macros that I need to learn. Years ago all I had was 2 note book logs, a real one a a fake one that I would show officials since I drove at times 20 hours with cat naps to get the load there or would have to wait overnight to get unloaded. Needless to say since I drove for a friend of mine, O/O the truck had to roll to keep up to the payments and insurance! :biggrin_25512:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.