SWIFT, Speed/lane restrictions apply to you too

Discussion in 'Swift' started by striker, Jun 27, 2019.

1. MGE Dawn

MGE Dawn Road Train Member

May 19, 2019
    Vancouver, WA
    You do realize that all those stupid ### grades that managed to earn names down here in the States are 6% or shallower, right? Personally, I'd balk at 9%... because we just don't seem to have them, for the most part. There's a 15% grade they used in Lewiston to make a point to those of us who attended Swift's school, but other than that I really haven't come across anything steeper than a 7%'er

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I've never been on a 15% grade around Lewiston. The one going down to town is something like 7% in a couple parts.

4. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    The 20 between 89 and 15 in Utah has a couple 8% grades They are not that long though.

MGE Dawn Thanks this.
  5. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Getup into some pa amish country and there is some 13% grades thru the mountains there, lots of fun on ice n snow. West virginia has some too

MGE Dawn and bzinger Thank this.
  6. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I know of a few grades that are 10% +... But almost all of them are well off the beaten path... Some probably see 2 trucks every 5 years... Others maybe 1 or 2 trucks a year.

I dont care what % the grade is, I like to desend them at a speed the jake will hold with little or no acceleration due to gravity. I will use snub braking when coming to bends on grades when necessary... Especially if I cant see around the bend very far.

Razorwyr Thanks this.
  7. MGE Dawn

MGE Dawn Road Train Member

May 19, 2019
    Vancouver, WA
    If you ever swing by the terminal, mosey on over to the academy over there and ask them what Oh #### Hill is. It's not on any major highway that you'd likely have any reason to use, but it IS truck accessible. So that's what they do. Take the students out there, and either have them drive down it or use it for a more extreme version of the lesson about starting and shifting uphill. Or at least they did, before all the academy locations started going automatic-only. I'm just glad I didn't attend a couple months later than I did... no restriction on MY license, thankee very much

Moosetek13 and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  8. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    If Lewiston actually trained on that kind of grade, kudos to them. Show those students what the worst is before they are alone.

I have been on hills that were hard to start from, with either manual or autoshift. Also going down when almost any speed seems too fast.
    Being exposed to it early in training is a very good thing.

9. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Hot load of manure that needs to be unloaded.

My dad always told me every time I was speeding in a 4 wheeler

‘Slow down, we don’t have a load of manure we have to dump ASAP”

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  10. Adieu

Adieu Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Not a highway, but there's 32 and 33% grade streets in Los Angeles that are pretty fun... with blind crests, too

Livery and delivery folk loooove them places

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.