Swift - Starting the New Year training with Swift 1/7/13 - A long read...

Discussion in 'Swift' started by DocWatson, Jan 3, 2013.

1. DocWatson

DocWatson Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Jersey shore

lol. Exactly. And of course it's the reverse to some degree after spending the greater part of a week on hometime and adjusting to driving a car or riding my motorcycle. The truck feels huge for those first few hours when I return although it definitely feels the most natural at this point.

I go a little nuts too driving an automatic car on my hometime. I find myself wanting to shift it like the truck and I resent having to hit my brakes constantly just to scruff off some speed.

I will say that I have become a more truck friendly car driver though since having this job. I definitely give more space when passing in front of a rig now.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DocWatson

DocWatson Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Jersey shore
    So it's Friday and I'm at a Pilot in Channahon, Illinois near Joliet.

I'm a little worried that I may be parked here for the weekend since I turned down a load earlier this morning. Not sure if the DM/DL's punish us for turning down loads but I'm hoping not. I can only imagine the secret inner workings within the circle of Driver Managers/Driver Leaders and what they say about us drivers. I don't want to be the problem child but I also need to stand up for myself a little.

I have been getting nothing but short to shorter medium runs for the past couple of months. The days of those 1500-2000 mile loads seem so far behind me. I know they are not that common but I guess I assumed I would get one of these loads, at least 1000+ miles, every once in a while interspersed with the shorter loads.

When I did have those longer loads I would average from high 500's to 600+ miles in a long day. Now, with these shorter loads it seems I do a lot less than that in one day with traffic and/or scaling and/or redistributing overweight loads.

I've had a few medium length runs since then. I consider medium length about 600-800 miles. Not sure if this is what you seasoned drivers consider medium. Any input would be appreciated.

I've been roughly going back and forth between the near south and Midwest ever since, doing these medium length runs. No complaints really with these but I have been asking to move out west when possible. I also understand that I need to be where the freight is. Understood. This is the nature of the business and I'm actually pretty happy to drive in different parts of the country although I do prefer not to stay in one place too long. And I prefer, if possible, to not get stuck in the Northeast/MidAtlantic/DC/Pennsylvania areas any longer than necessary.

So, as a new driver I'm trying to find the balance between meeting the company's needs, meeting my own personal financial needs, not accruing any unnecessary and additional stress and the needs of the customer. It's a work in progress. I'm doing my best to learn and get that balance.

This morning I dropped my load a few miles away in Joliet. Yesterday I was sent preplans for a short load picking up near Joliet going out to Missouri (about 230 miles) followed by a load piggybacked on that from a location near the drop in Missouri going down to Arlington, TX (about 750 miles). Sounds great to me since it's a total of approximately 1000 miles. When I stopped to check out the preplans, the Texas load was removed. It was odd because it was within a very short amount of time from being sent to me and dropped while I was still checking it out. I was left with the short run to consider. I denied the load asking for more miles. I've been promised a long run now for weeks, even prior to the last hometime.

Upon dropping my Joliet load I was resent the short load again. I refused it again asking for more miles. It was resent to me. I refused again stating the same. I need miles. I looked at the load more carefully this time looking not at just the miles but the weight and the comments. The weight was 44,980 lbs. The comments stated that it needed to be picked up with less than 1/2 tank of fuel. It was top heavy. If late the company would be charged $500 per hour. That my chains may need to be dropped (whatever that means specifically....drop them in the parking lot at the shipper? Sell them? Bury them in a little, secret hole to be dug up later like a squirrels pre-winter nuts?!?). I would have to create my own Bill of Lading since customer no longer provided them. And it was 230 miles.

Immediately I got a flashback to the Aberdeen/Baltimore fiasco from last week. I could foresee problems with that load since it was (almost) as heavy as this one, it was in the Baltimore metro area and I had more fuel than the preplan recommended. That load took 7 times to be scaled times at the closest scale, the T/A in Baltimore which is packed with trucks and under renovation. It took the load getting reworked at the shipper to make it scale correctly, which involved traveling 30 miles in each direction between the shipper to the scales, back to the shipper to get reworked and then back to the scales. Those 30 miles in each direction were unpaid miles and they took 1:45 in each direction, each time due to traffic and rain. My day was killed with that load just getting it to scale correctly. So, I had a flashback to that situation when I saw this load. I denied it and it was resent to me with the DM/DL asking me to please take it. This was the same conversation as last week and when I gave in last week I regretted it.

I checked my available hours and I only had 7 hours left on my 14 for today. Load was already late to be picked up and it was due later today. Not very likely, if impossible considering the weight and the fact that it probably wouldn't scale right requiring a trip back to wait at the shipper while it got reworked. And then I would still have to scale and adjust my axles again to make it work. So, either way, it didn't look possible within the hours I had available.

I hate to second guess myself but I'm wondering if I should just take these low mile loads that I foresee as a problem and just grin and bear it or should I stick up for myself and demand more miles when I haven't had a long run in a very long time. I'm company loyal but I also feel I need to look out for myself and my paycheck some. These little headache loads are killing me financially and they cause me to get a tight feeling in my chest from the stress. This is something I don't yet know because I don't have the experience in this field to know whether to man up and take the load or stick up for myself like I did.

And yes, if it was a choice between sitting here at the Pilot and not making any money, versus the potential $60-75 I would make on this load under that stress, I would choose to sit. My health is not worth that little bit of money. My feeling is that there needs to be a little more give and take. You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. Give me a decent run every now and then and I'll run the crap runs that don't pay. I dont know what to make of this situation but I feel like I did the right thing by standing my ground and refusing the load.

I don't think I'm a problem child. I know I need to earn my stripes and get my lumps, especially this first year, but overall I think I do pretty well. Other than the trailer getting stuck a while back down on that onion field delivery down in Georgia (this was deemed "non preventable", incidentally, and would not go on my record or require the Close Quarters Training), I have never delivered or picked up late, never had an accident, always accepted loads regardless, no violations, complete all my training as requested, send safety messages and ideas back to my DM/DL as she requests, etc. Not a huge feat by any means, considering my tenure in this position, but I don't think I'm a problem child or difficult. I'm wondering if they will consider me one after this load refusal today.

Any thoughts?

Also, in the same vein, what is it with shippers and these 45,000 lb. loads that require being reworked because they won't scale out as originally loaded? Doesn't it cost them more money and manpower to rework these loads? And now we have to create our own bill of lading? It sucks to not get paid for the additional miles and/or time required to get these loads scaled. I must be missing something.

For now I will sit here and make the best of a cool Illinois breeze and debate the merits of my decision.

Grijon, Kindle and scottied67 Thank this.
  4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Doc, my DM explained that sometimes loads are "offered" to more than one driver at a time. The first driver to accept the load gets it. Seems odd, since we are required to do a proper pretrip plan before deciding to take a load, but it is what it is. I've had a few instances of loads that have fallen through the cracks while I've been reviewing my HOS available to run the miles and be on time or not.

One word of advise I've heard from my mentor and other Swift veterans is during your first year, and especially in your first three months, it is best not to refuse any loads other than those that you simply give an ETA that you can live with. This is to increase your "driver score". They do score drivers according to on time, easy to work with, etc. so you want to be sure you have a high score. As your score increases apparently the quality of your loads and attention from dispatchers will improve, at least as it was explained to me by folks that are possibly just guessing at the voodoo in the office.

Good luck getting out of Joliet. I was there last week and ended up getting a load to Baton Rouge, but had a real hassle getting an empty trailer. It does seem that Swift has challenges knowing where their trailers are located.

Grijon, DocWatson and scottied67 Thank this.
  5. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    Right now we have a shortage of MT's

I decline loads at times, my load acceptance is around 50%, its not good or bad but its better than a few drivers out there. Some are due to hours, some were because they tried to stick me with a 200 miles load for 2.5 days, most of the time I decline those crap offers and state the reason they send me a new one thats better. It doesnt make sense to sit multiple days on a load someone can haul in just a matter of hours, loses money for both the driver and the company with a truck sitting and possibly idling during that down time...

Sometimes you can get a preplanned tcall before accepting if lets say its an 800 mile run and has 4 days to deliver, well you can get it there in just a little over a day so always call and ask for a possible tcall before taking it thinking "oh look an 800 mile run lets grab it" I have been successful getting most loads tcalled that had too much time on it, only a couple I could not.

DocWatson Thanks this.
  6. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    You make a very good point, Wolf. I've also grabbed onto loads that had surplus time to delivery and t-called them. Sometimes the t-call was preplanned and sometimes I've requested it on really long hauls when I realize I'll be much earlier than delivery. Better to pull into a terminal, t-call the load, take a 10, then hook onto another long haul; than to take a 10 and then spend time on a delivery THEN waiting for a dispatch. That second option will always burn into your 14 and it always seems by the time you GET a load offer you don't have enough hours to handle it.

DocWatson Thanks this.
  7. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    Doc, I have this feeling that this short load was Costco. The weight on the pplans are always wrong. They just throw in some figures. One time I had one that said that the weight was about 44k, and when I scaled it, it was about 7k. Also there is a scale on the property there. I have never seen anyone drop their chains there. We have a storage trailer there. As far as creating your own bill of Lading, the guard has the blanks right there when you pull in. Shipper, Costco, Receiver, Costco, Product, FAK. It is just for DOT. After you finish the load, in the trash it goes.

8. Wolfyinc

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    yeah happens at times, or I might deliver a load and have 3 hours left on driving and they offer a load picking up in a couple hours and then you have no time to do it if its a live

DocWatson Thanks this.
  9. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Not sure if I mentioned it in this thread, but the computer software Swift is using seems to be very difficult for the DM's and planners to use. They don't have a consolidated, single screen snapshot of a driver's status. Therefore they will offer loads based on incomplete information, and it is apparent that they rarely look at available HOS. A prime example was being offered a "Planner's Special" (PS's seem to be Swiftspeak for "The Planner Screwed Up and You Need to Cover My Backside") on a 1500 mile run, when I only had 4 hours left on my 70 and no significant hours coming back for 2 days.

It would seem analyzing a driver's available HOS would be fundamental to planning and dispatching, but this doesn't seem to be happening from my experience.

Grijon, Kindle and DocWatson Thank this.
  10. Wolfyinc

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    nope and I agree if they had that info it would reduce a lot of problems and time

DocWatson Thanks this.
  11. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    On the lighter side of things, it does strike me as funny that the Swift terminals can't get together to figure out the price of a free cup of coffee... :D

... some terminals the coffee is free, some you pay more than a dollar. Even within a terminal, like Mira Loma, the price of coffee is different from the driver's lounge to the shop lounge.

Each terminal seems to operate according to its own rules. Procedures for entering or exiting are different, dispatch procedures are different,... I guess it's tough trying to get everyone singing from the same sheet of music.

DocWatson Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.