Swift - Starting the New Year training with Swift 1/7/13 - A long read...

Discussion in 'Swift' started by DocWatson, Jan 3, 2013.

1. DocWatson

DocWatson Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Jersey shore
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

I got "home" to my parents' house in Williamsburg last night. Nice to have my bro and his fiance and my sis and her family here all together.

My last run took me from a Sears D.C. in Middletown, PA down to the Richmond/Norfolk areas. 9 stops. Driver unload. It was tires going to the auto centers. I liked the exercise, it wasn't difficult and it was cool talking to all the different guys at the shops. I only got 6 stops finished yesterday due to heavy traffic in the D.C. area the day before and just the fact that it takes time to dock the truck, travel in between and the actual unloading, sealing etc.

It made me curious as to the driver unloading fees. I got $80 flat unloading for all the stops even though I only hit 6 of the 9. I'm curious whether someone doing one stop, driver unload, would get paid the same amount for unloading. I did get the $15 per stop fee as well. Some of those Sears were pretty tough backs. I got them but a few gave me trouble due to traffic or tightness.

At stop 2, when I tried to leave the truck would not go into gear. It would just grind and grind. For a minute, after calling onroad, I thought I was going to have to get towed back to the Richmond shop. But the shop called me up, walked me through an alternative way and it got me through the day. Tough day trying to shift with a dying clutch or clutch brake, whatever the issue is. I would have to put the truck into gear before starting it and then hit the ignition to get the truck rolling again. Once I was under way it was ok, just tough shifting. So it's in the shop for that. My power mirrors stopped working as well and although it seems very minor, I use the passenger power mirror when I do a blind side backing. So I gotta get that fixed. My passenger side antenna broke. Again. For the 4th time since I've had this truck. I see it starting to bend, usually when I'm out on on the plains in the midwest and it slowly develops a crack and eventurally it just falls over hanging. I usually duct tape it across the roof until I get to the shop. So that is on the repair list as well. And, a minor issue, the driver seat is losing air so I have to keep elevating the seat while I drive otherwise it falls straight to the floor like a low rider. Minor but hopefully they can adjust it.

I need to look into the bunk heater issue too. I wish I had put that on the list. My bunk controls have never worked since I got the truck. Current mileage is 440,400.

Grijon and Rattlebunny Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DocWatson

Jan 21, 2010
    Jersey shore
    I gotta say something about life on the road.

This last time I was out for exactly a month before this present hometime. One thing I've discovered that as my hometime gets nearer and/or I spend more than 3 weeks on the road, I start to cranky. Not just cranky but I become impatient, less forgiving and more distant from anyone around me. I become an assh0le to some degree. Here's a good example...

Yesterday I pulled into a Pilot to fuel. I pulled behind a tanker at the fuel islands and waited. I noticed he wasn't getting fuel and came back out to his truck. He still didn't fuel and had no intention to do so apparently. There was no one parked in front of him and he could have pulled up but he didn't. I was getting irate as he saw me behind him yet he sat there regardless. It was raining and he was hand wiping his windshield down...that's kind of important fact that comes into play later...

The other fuel lane next to me opened up so I hit the 4-ways, backed a little and got into the adjacent fuel island. I was starting to get more irate as things ran through my head. Should I say something to him and point out the fact that he could pull forward and hand wipe his windshield down? Should I be a prick?

I was feeling the pressure of getting "home" and saying something was on the tip of my tongue. I bit it for now. I fueled and started to squeegee my windshield giving him the evil eye while I debated saying something. Just then, as I made my way around to the passenger side of my truck, closer to his vehicle, he spoke:

In a southern drawl, "Man, it sucks having your windshield motor go down like this. I'm 500 miles away from home and I just want to see my family. I hope this Rain-X I put on my windshield holds up until I get there".

I was immediately struck by the fact that I almost was the king of jerks saying something to this guy. He was as nice as can be and friendly and here I was stewing over something so freakin stupid that I almost said something rude to this guy. He had to apply the Rain-X under the cover of the fuel island as it probably wouldn't apply well if he had pulled forward in the rain. It all made sense. I beat myself up internally for a long time for just thinking of saying something rude. I bid him good luck and farewell and wished him a Happy Thanksgiving. Lesson learned. Keep your mouth shut and be open to all possibilities.

Happy Thanksgiving....Hope he made it home safely to his family.

4. 1122namaste

1122namaste Bobtail Member

Nov 24, 2013
    I've enjoyed reading your thread. Now that you've been out almost an entire year, can you say "about" what your first year pay is going to be? Just a ballpark (30-35K, or 40-45K) estimation is what I'm curious about. I see so many different stories about pay and there seems to be huge differences out there. I believe that your first year is pretty standard for most big company drivers. I also feel that you shoot straight and don't try to give a "big fish" story about how things are. This makes me curious about realistic pay expectations. If you aren't comfortable talking pay, I understand. I'm just curious.

Happy Thanksgiving and many happy miles ahead! I appreciate hearing and sharing your journey across this big country of ours.

harlycharly55 Thanks this.
  5. DocWatson

Jan 21, 2010
    Jersey shore

I can only speak for my experience but my first year pay, minus the weekly schooling deductions, is pretty sad. I try not to think about it too much right now as I'm loving what I do. It was probably around 30k at best I think last time I tried to project it out. I think with any of the big trucking companies, the first year pay sucks. But if you get a dedicated route or something similar it can be much higher.

6. bigwallmike

bigwallmike Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Kingman,AZ.
    Hi Doc!
    I've really enjoyed reading your thread. I'm wondering if you have any regrets/anything you wish you would have done differently?
    Also I'd like to thank you for these posts, they've been very informative as well as being quite entertaining.

7. cj&m

cj&m Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2013
    Georgia
    Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving, my hubby was home a couple weeks before Thanksgiving and will be home for Christmas. I have noticed him letting little things get to him the longer he stays on the road. He has been with Swift since the begining of April and has made about $20k, that is not bring home pay. I am looking forward to next year and hope things continue to go well

DocWatson Thanks this.
  8. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    I have found this also true with my. When I know that I am going to be out for some time, and after out 3 weeks I start to get really cranky, then I know, time to pull over, take a short weekend run, and get me a hotel for at least 1 night. Just get out of the truck and really relax. I find that this helps me a lot.

Grijon, Rattlebunny and DocWatson Thank this.
  9. DocWatson

Jan 21, 2010
    Jersey shore

That is a great idea. Next time I'm forced to take a 34 I'm going to get a room somewhere. It definitely helps to get out of the truck. I always feel refreshed after taking some home time.

10. DocWatson

Jan 21, 2010
    Jersey shore
    Yeah I find that true for me as well. I really try to step back and look at the big picture when those little things start to get to me. Easier said than done sometimes tho.

I've realized that 3 weeks is a decent average time out for me. My stress level and need for hometime also depends on other factors such as the weather, the type of runs I get, where those runs are, etc. If I run into problems from the start, after a home time, I burn out quicker if things done get better fast. I'm specifically thinking about those times I go back out on the road and mechanical issues weren't fixed or my very first run out of the gate is hellish. It depends. I've run as long as 7 weeks out and didn't feel too burned out other than wanting to see my sick mom.

I'm hoping that I can stay out for a whole and make some money after this next home time.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  11. DocWatson

Jan 21, 2010
    Jersey shore
    I'm currently sitting at the Albuquerque Swift terminal waiting on my truck to be repaired.

Yesterday after pretriping the truck it was hesitant to go over 10 mph. I saw the "engine warn" indicator on but didn't think much of it. Miscellaneous warning lights have always gone on for no reason with this truck and I've had it checked out before with no resolution.

After attempting to drive out of the Walmart in Edgewood on I40, where I had slept the night before, I decided to turn back in to the Walmart and call On road. I spent the day waiting for the tow and then waiting as we went thru all the procedures related to hooking up and unhooking to be towed. It was a long day.

Im starting to hate putting my truck in the shop. On my home time last time, just a couple of weeks ago, I barely made it to the Richmond terminal with a busted clutch. I did 6 stops that day before we limped back to the terminal.

The truck had 6 issues total including the clutch. 3 days into my home time I called the shop and they said it was fixed and out of the shop.I asked about the clutch and was told it was fine, no issues. I was assured it was working fine. The only issue they addressed, the most minor, was replacing the antenna. I pushed the issue and was told to come in to get a new truck. I was hesitant as it would take me a full day to move all my stuff from one truck to another. I have an aftermarket mattress in there (pillow top from Sapp Bros truck stop) that would be hell moving alone.

My parents drove me the 50 miles up to the terminal to move my stuff from my truck to the new one. When I got there my truck was in pieces in the shop with the transmission apart. I couldn't likely move my stuff from one truck to the next. Additionally this new truck looked like crap. It was another Prostar but it was missing the side panels that cover the gas tank. No way! Even if I could move my stuff into the new truck I wouldnt drive the other truck. I could see that being a DOT wet dream just because it looked so messed up. My parents drive me back down to their house where I stayed for another few days. I pushed to get my passenger power mirror fixed and they did so reluctantly.

The clunking in the front wheel wasn't addressed. Nor was the sticking drivers side window or the drive tires that I wanted checked. So I got back on the road with 3 of the 6 issues addressed.

I'm tired of putting my truck in the shop on my home times just to get it back not fixed. This happens almost every time. It happened the previous time in Sumner and I lost another day when I came off my home time and had to pay for another night in the hotel. Its exhausting. I see it as there is no real accountability when it comes to getting the truck fixed but I am held accountable for everything I do.

I've been lucky since coming off the last home time in that I haven't hit a lot of snow. A few days back I hit a little bit of snow and ice in Missouri and then in Dallas but not too bad. Dallas was tough because the road weren't plowed so as I drove down the highway on a clear road I would come up on a bunch of packed snow and ice in my lane seemingly out if nowhere with no prior warning. It caused a few oh #### moments but I got thru it.

Going to check on my truck here in a few minutes and see if its done.

I'm excited that I will be seeing my family again and for Christmas in just a few days. 8 days and counting...
    Thanks to this job I have seen my parents and siblings numerous times this past year. Prior to this year I hadn't spent a Thanksgiving or Christmas with them in over 10 years! Now I'm seeing them on both holidays in the same year! For that, I am thankful.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.