Swift - Starting the New Year training with Swift 1/7/13 - A long read...

Discussion in 'Swift' started by DocWatson, Jan 3, 2013.

1. DocWatson

DocWatson Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Jersey shore
    Fantastic! First time I've seen that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DocWatson

Jan 21, 2010
    Jersey shore
    Just wrapping up my home time tonight. Kind of sad. It went by so quick and I had such an awesome day today.

1st night off...

The first night I swung by my storage and picked up my birth certificate. Checked that off the list. The next day I rode around a little locally. I tried to check into a local hotel where I usually stay. I packed up my things, strapped them onto the back of the bike, put the truck in the shop and headed over to the hotel. They have a slightly discounted rate for CDL holders. It was a little under $70 a night and that is what I usually pay. I went to the front desk and told the guy that last time I barely had any wifi service in my room. He said that was because they only have wifi down in the lobby. Makes sense and that explains it from last time. They never told me this before, they just kept telling me that the service was "weak" during the past stays.

Hotels with drama lead me to stay in my truck...

I've been feeling reluctant to pay almost $70 a night when I take my home times out here. Actually, when I think about it, I can't believe I"ve stayed there for 3-4 nights in a row in the past. So the lack of wifi in the room was the proverbial straw that broke this camels back. Additionally, whenever I stay at this hotel (one of the cheapest in the area) there is always drama. There is always someone that is getting the cops called on them. Always loud arguments, parties, smell of weed, etc. Even yesterday morning, as I was leaving he hotel and had decided not to stay there, a disheveled woman showed up in a cab, got out, cab left and then the hotel clerk came out and was telling her to leave. He got on the phone, I'm guessing to the police. She continued to argue as I rode back to the terminal. So I decided screw that noise, I'm not over paying for a hotel anymore out here. Especially if I don't have a female guest, as I had in the past when I rekindled something with one of my ex's - not the STBEW. I might as well stay in the comfort of my truck at the terminal. I know I don't have creepy crawlies on my bed. I have wifi here in the terminal. A shower. Laundry. Food delivery if I wish. Company of like minded individuals. What was I ever paying $70 bucks for?!?! I agree, I would have liked to get out of the truck for a night, but not for that price and not without any decent amenities.

I dropped by bag back off at the truck and went back on my now lighter motorcycle. I hit up one of my favorite places, only found in the Northwest, called Half Price Books. I've loved this place since I moved here. Everything is used and at least half off the cover. They have a nice $3.00 and under section where I always find something. Cheap movies. Cheap cds. I picked up a couple of books on Mexico and another travel book. Got a couple of seasons of The Office for cheap and a season of some show called Heroes. Everything was cheap.

Walked next door to Five Guys and ate way too much. Messed me up good the rest of the day but it was delicious as always. Rode over to my old roommates house, the place where I rented a room and slept on an ever-sinking air mattress prior to joining Swift. He wasn't home from work yet so I sat out on the porch enjoying the 80 degree sunshine reading a book on Mexico travel. Relaxation. Roommate came home and took me for a drive in his Shelby Mustang going way too fast around some corners and generally driving like a nut. We got back and I rode back to the terminal stopping off at this truckstop near the Sumner terminal to pick up my beloved milk. There was another guy on a cruiser motorcycle sitting on a bench out front of the truck stop. As is usually the case with motorcyclists, we started to chat and became instant acquaintances. We talked bikes for a while and then we both found out we were truckers. He's local now but he shared a lot of tips with me. It was cool chatting outside of the job and just enjoying the day with another driver/rider. Got back to the terminal and hung out online in the lounge.

Truck was done near 11 PM and they had changed the cab shocks. I hadn't put it in the shop for that this time but they decided to do it anyway. Last time they had mentioned that it needed to be done but they didn't have time - only DOT required repairs were being done. I went to put some of my belongings inside my truck and they were working on the cab shocks. They said there was no way in hades that I was stepping inside the truck right then. Apparently it was balanced on some things while the cab shocks were being replaced. Sounds like it was a tough job. They finished it up, put it outside and I spent a nice, FREE night in my own bed. Wonderful.

Today on my 2nd day off I got to ride like I used to...

Woke up today and ex (STBEW) couldn't meet me to give me my $500. Predictable, I saw that coming as she is predictably unreliable. She had excuses but her life is a mess. If I didn't hate her so much I would feel sorry for her. Actually, oddly enough, there is some strange part of me that does feel sorry for her and that part wishes it could fix it for her. At least until the next time she pisses me off and works to deceive me. Not sure where that part of me comes from or why. When she told me she couldn't pay me she ran down some of her life issues. She drives on a suspended license in a borrowed car that is not insured. Owes everyone money. Has a lot of people angry at her. She got upset and I felt for her. Call me a sucker but I guess there is something buried way deep inside that still feels compassion and empathy for her regardless of what she does to me. She doesn't have a drug problem. She doesn't drink. She is just immature and terrible at managing her money. I guess that's it. Anyway, I just told her to pay me when she can. I offered to pay for the dog's vet but she said not to worry about it. I just wanted to get off the phone and leave that part of my life behind me so I can enjoy my time off. I blocked out the whole conversation, got on my bike and quickly forgot it. This is what happens when you ride. Therapy.

"You will never see a motorcycle outside a psychiatrists office"

That is the sticker that has been on the inside of my motorcycle fairing for years. I waited for a buddy of mine to get back to me about meeting up for lunch. He didn't and so I decided I'm going to ride out near Mt. Rainer to a little town called Elby, WA. There is a burger place there, a tiny church and an old railroad. I haven't been out there in years and after riding around town on my bike yesterday, I knew I had to get out there and stretch her legs back in the middle of nowhere. I hooked up the GoPro to my helmet and headed out through some congested suburbs east of Tacoma towards what I thought was Elby. Somewhere near Enumclaw, WA as all traffic had now gone away with the thoughts of my ex and her problems, I found my rhythm riding in near perfect weather, sunny but slightly overcast or hazy and I was feeling great. The bike felt fantastic. It was responding to the smallest of input on the throttle. As I got into those roads shouldering a river and covered in green, lush Pacific Northwest canopy of trees, I brought the rpms up higher and higher just to hear the perfection of my bikes function and exhaust note...8,000...9,000...11,500.... It was like a symphony to me. I always have loved the rumble and thump of American Vtwins but I have always loved the high-revved pitch of high rpms on my sportbike. There is nothing like it. Music. I've had this bike for 10 years now. The first year I was literally scared of it, too scared to really even punch it as the front wheel in the first 2 gears would lift just by getting on the throttle. 3rd gear I could get the wheel up just by cracking the throttle. 4th I could clutch it up. The bike scared me and I respected the 150 horses at the wheel, 170 at the crank and only 374 lbs without fuel. Now, 10 years later, the bike has become an extension of my body. I always know what it's going to do and when. Completely predictable. I know it's balance points, it's weaknesses, what she doesn't like and how far I can take her to the edge. She is my girl and my mistress and now I had her out where could breath and run as she should. It was pure magic.

I was riding under this canopy of trees, running through the gears and feeling the front end get light and lift every so often over a small rise in the road. It felt like I was floating at times and that sensation along with speed had me where I wanted and remembered being a long time ago.

I never did make it to Elby as I must have taken a wrong turn in Enumclaw. I did end up going through Greenwater, a tiny town with a general store requesting all Bigfoot sightings to be reported inside, and eventually I ran into closed gates in front of Mount Rainier Park. I took a road to the left and rode up towards Crystal Ski area, feeling the pockets of cold air through my jacket and on my face - something you would never notice in a cage or a truck but so palpable on two wheels. I didn't want to go all the way up so I found a little area of mud and snow and acted stupid riding on both on a bike that didn't belong on either. That's my girl. I stopped to just walk around in the snow a little and take in the silence before heading back down. I found a spot along the river, runoff from one of Mt. Rainiers glaciers, with view of a waterfall. I sat on the stone ledge at the viewpoint all alone just taking it in There is nothing like the Pacific Northwest. Nothing I have ever seen. The water was nearly white and running fast. The white color of the river was due to the small rocks that get scraped off due to the glacier that run downstream. It looked cold and I almost started dozing just sitting there listening to it and watching that waterfall. My head was clear completely.

I rode back to the terminal in a state of complete relaxation. I'm looking forward to getting back on the road but I know I'm going to miss it out here, miss riding, but after two very short days off I'm ready to get moving again.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
    Grijon, Rattlebunny and scottied67 Thank this.
  4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Now you have me yearning for my beloved Cascades...

Elbe is on the OTHER side (south) of Mt. Rainier. To get to Elbe from Sumner you could have ridden south on Highway 161 (up the hill from Puyallup) or go to Spanaway and take highway 7. Could have gone the whole way up to Paradise, but not sure how the road would have been for a bike. Likely a LOT of meltwater flowing across the road from the snowpack on some of those turns as you make the climb up to Paradise.

However, I always like that Greenwater to Crystal Mountain drive as well. Spent many an evening letting the Crystal Mountain traffic die down at that bar and grill.

NOTHING like spring to early summer in the Cascades. Some of the higher elevation lakes don't get clear of ice until mid-July, and it's the best time for hiking cross country with the snowpack covering the thick undergrowth (hike EARLY morning and quit when the snow gets too soft). I can almost smell the trout frying in the pan right now...

DocWatson Thanks this.
  5. ttwjr32

ttwjr32 Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2013
    California
    Good read again Doc.

DocWatson Thanks this.
  6. DocWatson

Jan 21, 2010
    Jersey shore
    You're absolutely right. I should have taken hwy 7 like I used to. I didn't realize that until I got back lol. Although I'm not sure I would have wanted to cut through Span away and Parkland that day. Sometimes its slow going with traffic.

I was debating going for a longer ride to Windy Ridge up on Mt St. Helens. One of my favorite Washington rides, I love the climb up St Helens. Not sure if that was open this early in the year tho. Corners, if it is open, would probably have a lot of gravel as well. Love that ride tho.

Washington is one of the most enchanting places to ride. I have a few rides that I love that I can do over and over. The 101 loop with a diversion down hwy 112 to Neah Bay. The Hood canal loop. Hwy 20 up and around through Winthrop. Rainier loop. Windy Ridge. Down to Cougar to get the obligatory pics riding the bronze cougar statue in an indecent manner. Columbia Gorge to Maryhill. Doen to the Carbon River bridge and eating in Wilkinson. And thats not even hitting Eastern Washington. I've yet to really explore the Palouse. Beautiful state - Washington still blows my mind and I'm forever a tourist there.. Even better for riding.

Yes there was still quite a bit of snow and runoff. There were little waterfalls right next to the roadway running pretty hard later in the day. I miss it already.

7. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Doc, have you ever taken any of the forest service roads, the unpaved territory? There's some pretty spectacular stuff if you've a mind (and a bike) for it, especially if you want to sleep under the stars or have a pup tent. Best in late summer and early fall.

DocWatson Thanks this.
  8. WitchyWomen

WitchyWomen Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Buckeye, AZ
    Well Doc has the bike for it, if you get a chance watch the movie "The Long Way Around" it shows the GS in all it's glory and is so muchbetter then the "The Long Way Down" which should've been called the short way because we all know From the highest pointin Canada or America down to the southern most tip of SOuth America is actually longer then the route they took.

That said watch those forest roads the GS is heavy as Steve found out on Bone Crusher. Yes I realize he has had the odd spill and every rider will over 50 years but that one shadow turned wet ground got him good.

DocWatson Thanks this.
  9. DocWatson

Jan 21, 2010
    Jersey shore

If I could find some very easy gravel trails I would love to pack this GSXR up and do some light camping in the WA outback.
    But, like you said, it would have to wait until the service roads dry out a little late summer.

It's been a while since I've been on those fire roads. There was a little gravel service road on the way back the other day and I was tempted to just ride up and see where it went. It was tempting. Not sure why I didn't actually take a ride up there. I did get my GSXR off the road a little into a muddy/snowy spot just for fun. It wasn't really a trail though and with my race tires the bike was all over the place. There's a small part of me that wants to trade away my GSXR for another lightweight dualsport to keep out here in WA but it's not likely as I'm pretty attached to the Suzuki.

I plan on taking some forest service roads out in Virginia on the GS just to get used to it a little off pavement. Nothing hardcore as the bike is just too heavy and big overall for any tight stuff. I'm going to have to do some research for those trails out in Virginia. Not sure if it as easy in Virginia to find somewhere to get the bike dirty.

I wish I had the bike for it out here. Years ago when I first fell on hard times I had to sell my '93 Yamaha XT600. That bike was awesome and I took it to a lot of places where it didn't rightfully belong. But I had a great time doing it. I spent a lot of time down in Capitol Forest down near Olympia and on the trails back in Tahuya. I would ride the XT out there with the Dunlop 606's and get soaking wet and dirty. Winter was sometimes the best time just muddy and wet. l would come home sore after ride back then, partially from dropping the bike six times on every ride. Granted, the Yamaha XT was a ton lighter than the GS and was only a single cylinder "thumper".

10. DocWatson

Jan 21, 2010
    Jersey shore

Lepton, I see you are based out of California. One of my favorite rides is in N. California along Hwy 96 to 299 to Weaverville and then down hwy 3 to hwy 367 out to 101 near the coast. If you haven't been up there, you should go visit. You can base yourself out of Eureka or Weed, CA. Beautiful area to ride, drive, camp or whatever.

11. DocWatson

Jan 21, 2010
    Jersey shore

Yeah, the route along the Pan American Highway from the top of Alaska down the tip of S. America would have been a longer route for sure.

In Long Way Round they used, I think, '03 or '04 R1150 GSA's. In Long Way Down they used a later model R1200 GSA. I'm going to have to watch Long Way Down again as it's been a few years. Like you said, it would have been a longer trip taking the Pan American Highway from the top of Alaska down to the tip of S. America.

I would take the GS on some fire roads if I can locate them. I wouldn't take it through anything hardcore due to the weight and it being top heavy. But the bike definitely has the power and you can get street legal knobbies for it. I would shy away from any dirtbike type trails on the GS.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.