Swift Transportation Company, Inc. - Phoenix, Az.

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by RoadWarrior666, Sep 16, 2006.

1. vickw

vickw Light Load Member

May 10, 2007
    Edwardsville, KS
    The recruiter did confirm that some area's we have boundries we can not accept from due to the difficulty of getting the driver home.

Wes

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mklangelo

Mklangelo Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    I looked into several training companies. I was all set to go with Swift until I read horror story after horror story.

I decided right then and there that the only smart route was to enter the trucking industry with CDL in hand. I'd rather owe a training school a few grand than have some company own my butt for a year or two.

:biggrin_2555:

4. HONEY

HONEY Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Fruitland, Idaho
    Not really looking to land in the middle of something here, but just was wondering..... if Swift were to fall of the face of the trucking industry, who would be the next target? :biggrin_25513:

5. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA

We can only pray!

Carrier Name: SWIFT TRANSPORTATION
    US DOT #: 54283 MC #: 136818
    ISS Inspection Value: [SIZE=+2]99[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]ISS Recommendation: [/SIZE][SIZE=+2]INSPECT [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Basis for Recommendation: Safety [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]roadside driver/vehicle safety [/SIZE][SIZE=+1], inspection history, driver history, and safety of past inspections. [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]'Pass' for carriers with good safety performance data. The three recommendations listed are below.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Recommendation ISS Inspection Value[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Inspect (inspection warranted) 75-100[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Optional (may be worth a look) 50-74[/SIZE]
    Pass (no inspection required) 1-49

[SIZE=+2]Compliance Review Results[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2](within 12 months) [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+2]State Reported Crashes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2](within 30 months)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Measures and Indicators[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Recordable Accident Indicator (RAI) 35.0 Accident Involvement Indicator (AII) 76.1 [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Recordable Accident Measure (RAR) 0.594 Accident Involvement Measure (AIM) 0.341 [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Summary Event Data[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Date of Review 10/03/2003 Number of Vehicles Involved in State Reported Crashes 2,193 [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Number of Vehicle Miles Traveled 1,740,644,746 Number of Vehicles Involved in Crashes Resulting in Fatalities [/SIZE][SIZE=+2]66[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Number of Recordable Crashes 1,034 Number of Vehicles Involved in Crashes Resulting in Injuries [/SIZE][SIZE=+2]825[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Average Number of Power Units 15,868.3 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+2]Vehicles Involved in State Reported Crashes (within 30 months)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]SafeStat Run Date -4/23/04[/SIZE]

6. vickw

vickw Light Load Member

May 10, 2007
    Edwardsville, KS
    Thank you for the April of 2004 safstat score's. Its been a good 3 years focusing on safety, and the stats will continue to drop.

Inspection Selection System (ISS-D) Recommendation*
    (As of November 30, 2007)Carrier Name: SWIFT TRANSPORTATION COMPANY INC
    US DOT #: 54283 MC #: 136818 ISS Inspection Value:72 ISS Recommendation:OPTIONAL Basis for Recommendation:Safety Summary of Safety Evaluation Areas (SEAs)
    Deficient
    SEAs
    are those
    ( >= 75 ) [​IMG] A SEA value not displayed on the graph indicates insufficient data available in that SEA, and the SEA value could not be calculated.
    Wes

7. vickw

vickw Light Load Member

May 10, 2007
    Edwardsville, KS
    Sorry, its been a while since I have been on. I have been extremely busy these last few quarters. I will try and get on here more often to answer questions.

Wes
    Swift Transportation
    Terminal Manager-Houston

8. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Vick, it has been a little while. Long time, no argue with. What's up? While you were gone nothing changed here. Drivers still come and bash SwiftQuit regularly.

Tell me. If I'm 65 years old, am 5'4" tall, weigh 450 pounds, can tote the weight around at orientation, and have 90 days experience, can I be a trainer at SwiftQuit?

If a SwiftQuit truck ever broke even one of my fingernails, I'd be hauling them into court, man. My odds would be good, especially after I told the jury of your training practices. Swift trucks should stay parked if you're allowing new guys to be trainers. I don't want them on any roads I'd be plying.

9. vickw

vickw Light Load Member

May 10, 2007
    Edwardsville, KS
    No it hasnt changed since I left, although I dont see to many new posts since I left either.

Actually mentoring has become tougher to get into. There are now classes that must be taken first, must have atleast 6 months experience. Those 6 months have to be pretty clean with service, accidents, log violations, negative road reports etc.. The driver manager, fleet manager and terminal manager have to sign off on a canidate mentor also. I dont sign off if I do not feel they will do a good job. So it has become better. The follow up with the trainee still poses some problems. We do ask to see how the mentor did, but sometimes the trainee/upgrade's will not tell us the whole picture. That does make it a challenge to weed out the bad mentors.

Wes

10. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Yeah, nothing has changed because the same posts get recycled, only by different folks.

Mentoring is 'harder' to get into? Wow. Now I feel safe. Here's an idea--drop this mentoring ######## altogether. A Swifty driver needs 6 months' experience to be a mentor? Man, it sounds like you're cracking down. Just keep those Swift rigs away from me.

Trainers should have a minimum of 3 years' experience. Plus any trainer candidate should be evaluated to see if he's any good and/or if he's a guy who shouldn't be within a mile of a co-driving situation. Some guys just aren't good "people" people. Some guys don't have the patience to be trainers, either. Both types as trainers are liabilities to the company. Just make sure the clunkers don't become trainers.

If you can't keep good drivers around long enough to become good trainers, or you can't attract good veterans to be good trainers from outside the company, you need to make some major changes. You need to make sure your outfit isn't known as "SwiftQuit". It's this or go the way of the do-do bird.

I know I don't really need to tell a SwiftQuit insider all this, but if a wet-behind-the-ears, been-trained-by-a-newbie SwiftQuit driver even knocked a hair out of place on my head on the highway, I'd be hauling JerryQuit into court.

11. dd6767

dd6767 Light Load Member

Dec 21, 2007
    New Port Richey, FL
    Vick, I drove briefly for Swift back about 8 years ago. My terminal was in Johnstown, Pa. I was right out of school. Went with my trainer for six weeks. He said I was the best driver he trained in six years. I was assigned a truck of my own and went on my way. The truck they assigned me had major problems. In fact almost one week in, the fuel line desinigrated and spewed fuel under the wheels in a freezing rain storm. The trailer was fish tailing so bad that I could see the word swift on the trailer in my side view mirror. I went to pull it off the road and nearly slide into a busy intersection. I called my DM and he insisted that I take the load on to be delivered. It would no start. So I called him back and he sent a mechanic out who then fixed the fuel line but preceeded to tell me that while he was under there he saw alot of safety issues and that he would not drive this truck another mile and that it was that unsafe. When I called the DM and told him he blew up at me and told be that if I didn't take the load on "i wouldn't make it here". I finally said that's it and drove the truck back to the terminal and turned it and my job in. When I got back there I talked to the same DM and he pretended it wasn't him that yelled at me on the phone. It scared my father so bad that I promised my father that I wouldn't drive while he was around. He's now passed away and would like to get back into it. I was hoping that my bad experience was just because of a bad terminal. When I talked to the DM when I quit he said that he would put it in my report that it was for good reason and that should I ever want to return that they should hire me. I was going to try to go with Swift again because I just thought it would be easier and it seems that alot of the big companies offer the same stuff and with Swift I thought there would be more available miles. But as I read these post I am getting kind of worried. It is hard for people to decide on a company to start with when there are so many out there. There are good and bad opinions for all. I have three questions for you that you may be able to answer. Is it really safer than it was back then, like you say it is? From this brief description does it sound like Swift would rehire me? I am in Myrtle Beach, SC. And I still have a CDL but haven't driven for a company since that brief period with Swift. What would I have to do to requalify for a company driver job? I am not sure in which direction or what company I was going to go with but Swift was on my short list. Thanks for any comments or info.

Dave

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.