Swift Transportation Company, Inc. - Phoenix, Az.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by TurboTrucker, Apr 16, 2005.

1. telcobilly

telcobilly Medium Load Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Laying Low
    Liberty Hill is cool, I lived in Dallas/Houston/Round Rock and I think Central TX is the best! Went through there on the I 35 on my way to Laredo last year. I was convoying with another Swift driver that I met in Memphis. I couldn't believ how it's grown! I left in '05 while all of the construction was going on, on the I35.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tonyjxn

tonyjxn Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Oklahoma
    i have a question for the Swift drivers. I applied and was turned down due to having 2 tickets in a 12 month period. My recruiter said that i had to wait 6 months. The ticket was still open and has since been dismissed and dropped off my record. Do i still have to wait the 6 months or can i get my record reviewed again. This all happened about a week ago.

4. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    Seems to me you'd only have to wait 6 months if you had two tickets, which you don't.

5. VanNelle

VanNelle Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Ohio
    That Swift driver was full of BS. I am a swift driver and swift simply wouldn't do that!!!!

6. screenman_0

screenman_0 Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Denison, TX
    Nana what large city is close to Pflugerville?
    I am looking at Swift as one of the companies to go with. Don't really want to run the east coast, would rather run southwest. Is that going to be a problem?????

7. VanNelle

VanNelle Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Just call your recruiter and ask him.......he wont hurt you:biggrin_25525:

desert_son Thanks this.
  8. desert_son

desert_son Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Liberty Hill, Tx
    Austin/Round Rock are the nearest large cities to Pflugerville. With Swift you can select either West Coast (West of the Mississippi River), Central or East Coast. Swift no-longer has a Southwest region (not enough loads)

9. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    It did seem odd, but his heat was out. I think it was a combination of his dispatcher (maybe a new guy) not knowing you're not supposed to do things like that and the driver letting them do it.

10. ChipnChair

ChipnChair Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Nomad, Na
    For newbies about starting out (and a couple of Swift Related issues):

1. Most company's pay rate is low for new drivers. Swift pays .25 a mile to start. You get increases every 3 months but the pay is low.

2. Your best friend is your DM. When I worked with Swift I had the best DM but I know other drivers were not so lucky. They are the ones that get you miles ... not the planners. The right DM will keep you running DO NOT let anyone tell you different.

3. Swift (and other companies) have cut payroll and are running on a skeleton crew. Shop mechs rush your truck through service now ... they use to do a thorough job but don't have the time anymore. Day/Night shift support has been reduced.

4. At Swift you need to get into regional work if you want a decent pay check. I quit Swift at the 6 month mark only to be offered a 20% increase if I stayed but I would have had to move into regional work.

5. Swift is starting to use shuttles between large cities. This cuts down OTR miles.

6. Every company has issues but not every company is for you. There is a huge demand for GOOD drivers. In a couple of years if you can prove you can deliver on time and stay accident free you will make a GREAT living for yourself.

7. STAY AWAY FROM SWIFTS LEASING PROGRAM. Until they improve this scam it will drain your pocket book. You could work for weeks/months with no pay ... just so you can say you own a truck ... you will never OWN that truck if you lease it.

8. Listen to experienced drivers. I learn so much my listening. To many drivers stay in their cabs ... they miss a lot!

kajidono, chew6229, desert_son and 3 others Thank this.
  11. ChipnChair

ChipnChair Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Nomad, Na
    To add one more comment to the above post ... I was fast tracked at Swift. They treated me well but there are companies that offered to treat me a little better. I was loyal to Swift for a year but it cost me at least 6 grand and home time.

I am not bashing Swift but wanted to point out for most people it is just a good starting point.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.