Swift Transportation Company, Inc. - Phoenix, Az.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by TurboTrucker, Apr 16, 2005.

1. DC CAB

DC CAB Medium Load Member

Feelings got hurt? Lolol!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    Arrow shut down because somebody was embezzling money and cooking the books while at the same time neglecting to pay its bills. I remember seeing notes all over the truck stops saying no work or fuel was to go to Arrow unless there was a preauthorized Comcheck or cash only. These notes started showing up about six months before they were shut down by the bank.

I don't see anything like that about Swift....

Texas-Nana Thanks this.
  4. Bayer-Z28

Bayer-Z28 Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2010
    NV, PA, IL, CT
    I'm still new to this but swift is starting to piss me off. (I've driven for 6 years in the MIL, but new to freight trucking)...

I'll be applying for a LOT of detention pay... :mad: They've been giving me a lot of these small 250mi, 600 mi (not BAD), and now another 600 mi load. I had ONE 1900mi load that I was 1500mi into and ON TIME, but my truck broke down... Thank you Volvo.... Anyway, I REALLY hope they don't see me as unreliable now because I KNOW I can do this job. I WILL do 600mi a day if I need to and it doesn't bother me.

Anyway.. I'm stuck here in Nebraska now. Delivered to this place and met a former Swift Driver turned CRETE and he was betting me that he'd have a load before I would. I said ok, we'll play the Qualcomm race.. haha.. Before I even received a receipt for my empty call, he had already gotten another load assignment.

I've not been sitting for a day ...... AGAIN..... My last check was 1300mi which included most of that 1500mi load that I broke down on. This is BS.... The load info said it loads at 1700 (today, but received YESTERDAY at noon.)... I called last night to see if it could load early... no go... they told me to call back at 10am the next day (today... spoke with s/r here)....

Bobtailed to the nearest loves about 10 minutes away to be comfortable.. Left there this morning and got here for 10am. Called S/R again.. They said they don't have any empty trailers to load with. They said the load is late ON SWIFT, NOT ME.. :mad: Oh for crying out loud. They sent me a dead load. They said they already contacted Swift about it, so what am I supposed to do? This is some 45klb load. They complain about your idle time, but hey, I've got 7 hours to sit here and idle to burn off a little bit of weight.

Was talking to that CRETE driver yesterday and he had me pretty well recruited. Said it's a night and day difference going from Swift to Crete. I'd bet.. You can out me on a Dollar Store dedicated and it would prolly be a night and day difference from here.

Am I crazy here, or is this a legit complaint with these people? I'm gonna call my DM on monday morning and see what's going on. Maybe this has just been the "chess" game to put me in a better spot for better loads. That's what half of me is thinking.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  5. Windjammer2

Windjammer2 Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Phoenix

Junk??? you got that right! In my seven months with them I can't tell you how many countless days (not hours) I spent wasting time due to Swift's equipment (truck and trailers....mostly trailers)....time I didn't get paid for.
    Picked up an mt flatbed in Vegas.....$2100 and 20 hours down time later it was a legal trailer! (broken leaf spring, bad brake valve, nine lights out or missing, two bad tires, etc. Spent four hours arguing with dispatch about putting $40 on my card in order to buy a portable winch. (Trailer was short on them). Needed the winch to be legal. They finally agreed when I told them the load would stay where it was unless they paid for the winch. Yes, the equipment is junk....right in line with the entire company. Now working for Prime with great trailers and a truck with 9000 miles on it.*(not to mention waiting no more than 15 minutes for new load assignments after a drop).

6. Texas-Nana

Texas-Nana Princess Drives-a-Lot

Apr 23, 2008
    Nana's empty nest
    We get good miles, we have a nice truck. Yes trucks break down, ours did and we got a loaner until until ours was fixed. We talk by phone to our trip planners, DM and fleet manager. We stand in the office and speak face to face. We get paid for detention, we get paid for our work. We're very happy at Swift.

gdyupgal Thanks this.
  7. Windjammer2

Dec 27, 2008
    Phoenix
    are you flatbed at Swift? Swift shouldn't even be in the flatbed business given the equipment they expect their drivers to use.

8. Texas-Nana

Apr 23, 2008
    Nana's empty nest
    This thread isn't specific to flatbed. So don't even start with me. Just because you don't like Swift doesn't mean those of us that do can't post.

kiwi kid, DickJones and Injun Thank this.
  9. Windjammer2

Dec 27, 2008
    Phoenix

Geez Nana - I was only asking if you were in the flatbed div.
    Please stop picking a fight. Not looking to go there, OK??
    That said however, if you want to discuss the good, bad and ugly about Swift, it surely appears you are in the VAST minorty of Swift lovers. With that though, I'm happy you're one of them.

10. Texas-Nana

Apr 23, 2008
    Nana's empty nest
    You're going to accuse me of picking a fight? That's rich. I didn't even post to you nor quote you or any flatbedder. In fact when you returned to the forum I welcomed you back.

I actually thought that when you returned perhaps I could remove you from my ignore list. Obviously I was wrong. If anyone doesn't agree with your vendetta against Swift and says anything supportive of Swift you accuse them of starting an argument.

How mature of you. :biggrin_2556:

As to the so called "majority" of Swift critics on this forum, most have never even worked for Swift. I listen to what they say however and I don't jump them for not agreeing with my view of Swift.

Injun Thanks this.
  11. RenegadeTrucker

RenegadeTrucker Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Montana
    I am going to step in here and throw my .02 into this one. I know there are a few good swift drivers out there, Nana, Injun, OldNewbie come to mind as well as a few others I have not mentioned.

I will also say I have run into quite a few who were suffering from a case of cranial anal retention that was so severe you couldnt fix it with a pneumatic grease gun and a 6' spud bar!

Swift has cleaned up thier act some in the last few years. I know for a while they were hiring anyone and everyone they could put in a truck. I met one swift driver who had been out of federal prizon for two weeks when they hired him, or so he claimed.

I have also seen some dumb things done by thier flat bed division, one guy loaded two ford pickups on his trailer, his idea of load securement was throwing a chain over the ball on the back of the truck, and another through the front A arms. The other truck on the trailer didnt have a ball in the reciever, so he wraped the chain around the axle. I could tell it had crushed the brake line because it was dripping out on the trailer.

I also saw one who had 5 forklifts on his trailer, and only the front one had a chain on it, and the rear one.

I will agree because of things I have seen that the flat bed division over there is pretty horendus, and I think it boils down to a complete lack of training/caring.

It has been quite a while though since I have seen a swift truck pulling a flat bed, the things I am talking about are from 5 or 6 years ago, things may have changed since that time.

You dont really hear about so many swift trucks wrecking any more, for a while there back in 2004/2005 they were destroying them left right and sideways.

Does anyone know if they are still running all the Kenworths they bought a couple of years back?

Texas-Nana and Injun Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.