Swift Transportation Company, Inc. - Phoenix, Az.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by TurboTrucker, Apr 16, 2005.

1. WomanofSWIFTdriver12

WomanofSWIFTdriver12 Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Somewhere, TX
    KE5WDP~

He drives for SWIFT Transportation as a Owner Operator. He manages his own truck and everything. He drives for SWIFT, but is buying his own truck. Basically he works for himself, but his truck is leased through SWIFT. He has to do all maintenance on his truck out of pocket and same for fuel. As long as you know how to pick the loads, where to fuel up and when to stop and go, being an O/O can be a breeze. Only thing about being a company driver, SWIFT pays for eerything to be done to the truck you are driving. I have learned so much about the trucking industry since I was little. My dad drove and I road with him. Plus family and friends, not including one of my ex's drove as well. I have basically been considered part of trucking since I was in diapers. I am not 26 years old and will be 27 years old befor ethe end of the year. If have an international, stay away from the international dealer around Lancaster. They have a habit of shuffling through people's stuff in their Semi's and eatingin them too. Trust me I know from experience.

Sincerely,

WomanofSWIFTdriver12

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WomanofSWIFTdriver12

Aug 31, 2012
    Somewhere, TX
    Seriously guys. For some reason he gets stuff with the ones that get lippy, run over fences, back into poles, jump curves and almost run into a back of another SWIFT truck and trailer. Then he also has the ones that want work, but do not want to go through it to get it.

4. WomanofSWIFTdriver12

Aug 31, 2012
    Somewhere, TX
    Oh and to boot. I have been on the truck with him and everything. He is an owner operator and a mentor. Been to quite a lot of terminals and yards. And plus the shippers and receivers. Sometimes it is not that easy to back a semi and trailer into limited space. He is one of the good ones out there.

5. WomanofSWIFTdriver12

Aug 31, 2012
    Somewhere, TX
    You guys are just being a bunch of children no use arguing with y'all. I am going to a bigger person, walk away from all this, do my school work and wait for my daughter to get home form school before I start saying things that I will regret in the future.

6. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    OK

You mean he's a lease operator ?

7. DC CAB

DC CAB Medium Load Member

You said it right here. He is NOT an O/O. He is L/O.

Fine by me.
    That's what he is.

8. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Swift tells (sells) all their drivers on "becoming an O/O"...unless he holds the pink slip, or is financing the truck outside of Swift/IEL, he is a Lease Operator....HUGE difference!
    Same as a L/O
    Be careful how you say things. Is it leased to Swift or leased through Swift? Big difference!!
    Lease Operator and Owner Operator are similar...to those respects only!
    Swift drivers, even O/O or L/O don't "pick their own loads"....Swift has planners and dispatchers to assign loads, sometimes a driver can get a choice between one load or another, but as a Mentor, he does what the company says to train their next driver.
    Then you should know how to speak the language....and you aren't!
    You aren't 26....then you won't be 27 "befor ethe" end of the year!
    So much for cognitive thought and communication skills! College huh? Good luck on your thesis for you BA!

9. Silvermitts

Silvermitts Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Ga
    As I understand it , a mentor makes his money AFTER a student graduates
    then he / she gets a penny a mile that the former student drives for 6 months.

Well , if that's the case then what's the point of being a mentor if he never
    has a student " graduate " because he keeps kicking them out of the truck
    over mickey mouse b.s. like a macro ?

Am I missing something ? ? ?

Sam Hell Thanks this.
  10. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Otter did they have MAC 30 before you left? O/O or L/O if you prefer, have the option of requesting load options starting 18 hours before thier PTA. The system will offer 3 different loads. Like one take it, don't like any of them wait an an hour and give it another shot.

Also you don't have to take what the planners offer - though the system is much more automated and the preplans autoload more often than not - you can decline the load for business reasons.

Last, for those in the know you can go to the power only load board and request your DM to get a load off the board if it hasn't been picked up yet.

So though the system is not the same as a true load selection such as Landstar or Schnieder Choice, there is some flexibilty and the loads you pick or accept can have a big impact on your revenue stream.

On a final note, Swift has decided to provide a load board for O/Os. Details and an implementation schedule are to yet to be provided.

otherhalftw Thanks this.
  11. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    No they didn't have any of the "candy coated goodies", and when they first started the L/O program, a driver had to be invited to participate after recommendations from your DM and Term Mngr. Then the recommendation went to IEL and they did a 9 month average of miles run/dispatched to be certain you are a "driver" and prepared to succeed. If I remember right, it was a weekly average of 2800+ miles as a company driver, no incidents, no accidents, no more than 2 service failures during the past year.

The top drivers for Swift, had put in their time, did the extra work, made friends with the planners from different terminals (every terminal planned and dispatched their zone), and if you were really on top of your game, you had the personal phone numbers of those planners, and their QC codes to shoot them a message you are lurking on their horizon. You still had to scratch their back now and then, but I averaged 3400 miles per week for the 7 years I was L/O...when Mentoring, my truck was considered a "hot truck" and we averaged 5400 the first 2 weeks and over 6500 the remaining weeks. Plus we could sign off a student before the 6 weeks if a maximum criteria was met by the student.

Sounds like the new system is a lot more driver friendly than before....but with automation, there is always the give away of many perks for the "go getters"!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.