Swift Trucking School

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by j12dx2, Sep 5, 2019.

1. j12dx2

j12dx2 Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Okay, so I’m about to go through the swift truck driving school. Set up to go then started looking through reviews of swift and noticed a lot of them where from 2010-2015. I plan on going to there school and hopping straight into flatbed trailers. I know will be atleast 2 months before I ever step into my own truck. I wanted to know if what I was reading of truckers there first year only getting 1000-2000miles was true? Or if it was people who sucked at managing there time And not getting the most of there drive time out of the day, like making a 800 mile trip take the 3 days to be delivered because that’s when it spouse to be there or if Swift just did not give miles. Please and thank you.

-Rookie-

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    @MGE Dawn can ya help a brother out here?

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  4. j12dx2

j12dx2 Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Also, do swift trucks come with optimized idle? What is there idle policy?

5. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    @Moosetek13 could probably help out with some of these questions also.

Texas_hwy_287 and j12dx2 Thank this.
  6. MGE Dawn

MGE Dawn Road Train Member

May 19, 2019
    Vancouver, WA
    Well, if you manage your time right, Swift should be planning you between 2- and 3000 miles a WEEK. This is notwithstanding any freight shortages, in which case mileage is quite a bit harder to come by. But if you're good about working with planning and CSR, and you're not afraid to abuse the hometime policy, it's possible to get handed long runs they need SOMEONE to take, even if they're into freight deadzones like FL (@FlaSwampRat funny timing, btw. They're sending me to Jacksonville... maybe I'll get to see the famed Florida Man ;P). As for idle time... your mileage will probably vary from mine. The newer trucks have optimized idle (personally, I wish they'd just give us APUs, but what do I know? I'm just the guy that has to live in the truck), but it's possible to force them to idle full time if you feel like doing a little Google-##. Swift will want less than about 10% idle time, but will quickly back down if a good reason is cited. In cold enough conditions, fleet-wide instructions are issued to idle the trucks, even if you've winterized your fuel. Otherwise, the trucks ARE equipped with bunk heaters that do a good enough job keeping the house somewhat comfortable. Good luck, study hard, and remember to GOAL

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  7. Tolmie

Tolmie Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2017
    1. It’s true. Not many miles first year. First few months you will get 2500 miles long distance loads but that’s pretty much it.

2. Sometimes you will be dispatched for a 1100 mile load but the delivery date is opened ended, and you will find out it delivers 5 days later. The worse part, when you ask for TCall, then you’d have to accept 2 BS local deliveries, for the swap. So in that case, I’d take that 800 mile 3 days load any time, lol.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  8. idriveaholden

idriveaholden Super Heavy Hauler

Mar 14, 2018
    What you should do is get your license at swift and go right to Tmc or somewhere similar. they will reimburse your loan and you’ll be at an actual flatbed company with better pay and incentives

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  9. MGE Dawn

May 19, 2019
    Vancouver, WA
    I've never had that 2 local deliveries thing happen. Mostly because I have no qualms rejecting loads until they call me asking what it'd take to get me rolling, though. If it's so short that a day cab is better off doing it, then I have no problems telling them that. Eventually planning figures it out

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  10. Tolmie

Tolmie Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Well you know how it is with Swift. If you don’t accept the swap then you will be stuck with the load for 5 days. In other words, pick your evil.

11. MGE Dawn

May 19, 2019
    Vancouver, WA
    Just like with any other company, get yourself a good DM, and 99% of the time these problems don't creep up

FlaSwampRat and Midlife Trucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.