Switching Engine Oils - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by OhNoTerry, Apr 17, 2024.

1. OhNoTerry

OhNoTerry Light Load Member

May 22, 2021
    2023 Cummins Performance Series 565/1850 with 106k miles. Motor came factory filled with Delo SynBlend 10w30, and so I've stuck with that. Truck use to do 80k, 48 state reefer work. Now I do more local 1-2 state, pulling a grade or two a day, multi load days at 105,500 lbs gross. Truck has to high idle 2-3 times a day for about an hour each unload during hydraulic pumping. I've looked into Schaffers 722 SynShield oil due to its advertising for my current situation. I've had mixed reviews on switching oils at 100k, some say it won't hurt it as the motor is still so young, some say after 100k they'll stick to what it's always used. Reason I want to switch is because the oil is advertised for soot control, high idle and local work. I do all filters and oil at 15k regardless, what do you guys think? Worth the switch? Stick to my guns? Switch to 15w40? Truck operates in the PNW so I can't imagine the cold start and weight of the oil being too much of an issue bumping up to 15w40. I am thinking of doing an oil sample test before I switch. Opinions on Schaffer oils? I will be pulling spec sheets for current and new oil before I make a switch, I needed some varying opinions in case I am missing an angle to all this.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    you should be doing an OA anyway. start with one, do it now, then do another oil change to baseline it and test again when you are ready to change it, then make the switch of oil, take another test mid-cycle to see what the results are.

What's your OC cycle mileage? Or are you changing it by hours?

OhNoTerry Thanks this.
  4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Cummins is one motor that's very picky about it's oil.

Very very picky.

Used to be a label on the frame. Anything else it didn't like.
    You may have that label. That last one I recently drove didnt. And it sounded like a tank.

I've driven quite a few Cummins and delo is what it likes the best. I wouldn't switch.

You'll end up with a motor that sounds like a tank. A new head at 175k miles. (Just had that happen) Leaky gaskets. And oil consumption.

Stick with that and you might not have the usual problems. Including the famous front cover leak.

And don't even think about adding Lucas. EVER.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
  5. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I would stick with what Cummins wants especially if it’s under warranty still. Like mentioned already, Cummins is very very picky. They will try to opt out of a claim if it arises if you switch oils. If it’s out of warranty, knock yourself out. It’s your truck.

Magoo1968 Thanks this.
  6. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Should of been filled with valvoline factory not delo…

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Why would they fill with valvoline and put a delo sticker on the frame?

The earlier motors had delvac labels. Now they're delo. And I can see why.

8. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    If I remember correctly, Cummins oil name brand was bottle by Valvoline back in the day. I don’t know about now.

snowwy Thanks this.
  9. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The factory doesn’t choose the oil, it gets filled with whatever is on the spec sheet. Also the sticker can be removed from the spec sheet when you sit down and order a truck.

I’ve always ran Delvac in my trucks but back during the pandemic I couldn’t get any and ran Delo for 50k until I serviced the truck again and it didn’t self destruct or anything.

OhNoTerry Thanks this.
  10. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
  11. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    Don’t go with a thicker oil . Clearances are tighter that’s why they spec 10w30 . If you do go with a thicker oil you’ll most likely peg the oil pressure gauge every morning causing the oil filter bypass to open . If you’re changing every 15 k Do a oil sample it will most likely show oil is still good unless engine has a issue.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.