System adventures with the ducky

Discussion in 'Superior Carriers' started by rubberducky68, Nov 7, 2015.

1. rubberducky68

rubberducky68 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Jefferson GA
    Rather than try and multiquote everyone I will just go down through the responses and answer one by one.

Why am I thinking about leaving Superior? I am not actually. I just happen to run into a driver from Airgas last week at the truck stop. We got to talking and he mentioned the Jefferson location was looking to add 6-8 drivers this year to meed demands of customers.
    I don't know about other Superior terminals but mine has been giving me decent runs out and then once out I stay pretty busy. They don't let me sit. They keep me rolling. So not it is not a lack of staying busy. Basically just tired of being gone all the time. 10-12 days gone from home then off for 2 or 3. Hate running up north and northeast.

Yes I have considered my employment record. If I took this job I would basically be forced to stay at it whether I liked it or not. I have hopped jobs too many times in the last year so I would have to stick this out no matter what.

Schedule would be nights to start. Could be 11pm-9am or could be 3am-1pm. I could tolerate the 3am shift better than working all night. My two days off won't be the weekends to start. Most likely days off would fall during the week. I look at it this way. I already stay out every other weekend running otr so not having every weekend off is nothing new to me.

I asked about the overtime. I was verbally told it is guaranteed. I can work the minimum or I can request an additional load at end of shift if I had extra time left to run something short. Terminal manager said he has some guys that just do what they are assigned and go home and others that like the additional hours. Sounded like Airgas has no shortage of work.

If it did not work out do I have a plan? Good question. Like I said, I would have to stick it out regardless of how it turned out. I already have to pay a fine for Obama care this year of almost $1000 for "going without insurance" for more than 3 months. I had insurance it just did not meet the Obama standards they set forth. This year you can only go 2 months and the fine is $2000. So knowing that I would have to stay put regardless of how I felt about the job. Hopefully I would love it but you just never know.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rubberducky68

Sep 9, 2010
    Jefferson GA
    I guess basically to put it in perspective, I can't see myself running otr for the next 20 years. I don't think I am built for that. I feel like this Airgas job may be one of the "Holy Grail" jobs people seek or find after doing 3-4 years otr. Kind of like doing your time then moving on to a decent paying local job.

I checked into hauling gas a while back and I knew that was definitely not for me. I had a buddy that worked for Mansfield and he was telling me about it and I thought to myself there was no way I want to haul gas to gas stations. But this Airgas deal seems far better. Cleaner work and pay is hourly, not by the load.

4. Coolbreeze

Coolbreeze Light Load Member

May 13, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Personally it would be hard for me to sleep during the day, with two barking dogs, and a teenager in the house. But, if I knew I could get the sleep I needed and the job was close to home, with dang near the same money, I would do it.
    Unfortunately for me there is nothing close to my house. I don't wanna come home just to shower and go to bed. Did that years ago, and it was hard. I'm too old for that now!

5. oldtrucker66

oldtrucker66 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2015
    If you don't like the idea of hauling gas to gas stations, have you considered hauling propane?
    A buddy of mine works 3 am until noon delivering to large industrial customers. He loves it.

6. oldtrucker66

oldtrucker66 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2015
    Could you take a day or two and ride along with a current Air Gas driver to see if it is a good fit?

7. rubberducky68

Sep 9, 2010
    Jefferson GA
    I have thought about that part. Trying to sleep during the day. It is hard for me to do that. I try and keep myself on a day shift at Superior for the most part and it works most of the time.

My kids are in college and work so they aren't home much. However I have my grandbaby here my wife watches during the day. So there is some noise going on throughthe day.

Honestly I was not actively pursuing another job. It was one of those things where I started talking to the guy and it caught my interest. The plant is literally 5 minutes from my house. Not sure of any propane hauling jobs near by. But like I said I am not job shopping anyway if that makes any sense.

Not sure how I could pull off a test ride with them. I would have to do it next time I came back in if Airgas would allow it. Even then I am not sure they would wait that long for me to give them an answer. I can check into it though.

8. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    You will adjust to the sleep schedule after a few weeks if you go to bed at the same general time all the time. The question is what kind of life would that be if your family is asleep when you are up and up when you sleep.

Have you talked to the terminal manager or is all your info from a driver? Is he getting a referral bonus?

I would probably strongly consider it if I were still running system loads out that long at a time. Good luck

9. Thermos Bottle

Thermos Bottle Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2015
    GA
    That's excellent money for a local job. You won't make a whole lot more than that OTR, plus it takes working more than 55 hours per week and rarely being at home. What does Air Gas haul? I thought maybe liquid nitrogen, so I was under the impression that they had cameras in the cab and you have to wear full PPE at every p/u and delivery. That's not much fun, but it seems as though the money's right. Just be careful; if they are safety nuts, then they may fire you for something simple like backing into a fence, while Superior would give you another chance.

10. RogerThat72

RogerThat72 Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2014
    They'll fire you if you don't have cones on the ground. I saw a guy in Oklahoma have a chalk wheel, and cones at the front and back of the truck just to go into the truck stop. They don't play any games

11. rubberducky68

Sep 9, 2010
    Jefferson GA
    Yes I actually went in and talked to the terminal manager. He was straight with me. He said expect the worst schedule to start. All new hires start at the bottom. Long term I would eventually get a better schedule. I would just have to tough it out for a bit. And yes their drivers do get a referal fee but so does Superior drivers so I don't see anything fishy about that.

Yes they haul nitrogen but no full chem suit to deliver. Just hard hat, face shield, long sleeve shirts, boots and really thick gloves to protect your hands from the extreme cold of the nitrogen.

I don't know about cameras in the truck. He did not mention them.

The terminal manager did cover the safety rules. He said some are unecessarily extreme but just exercise them anyway whether you agree or not.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.