T/A truck stops

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by asphaltreptile311, Mar 22, 2017.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    We fuel exclusively at PFJ only #2 diesel and spend much of our winter miles on/above I-90. This past winter I never added any fuel treatment and often ran and parked with only APU at -10F. So with that in mind, you'll have a hard time convincing me PFJ fuel is somehow substandard to TA/Petro's fuel.

dca and x1Heavy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    There is really a disparity in the quality of TA locations. The ones mentioned above as being good are really pretty good. But then you've got the one north of Dallas, Greencastle, PA, and a few others that have way (WAY) too much reserved parking and whose buffets look like something a cat dragged in. These two I referred to I refuse to stop at for any reason any longer.

The Petros are still all in all pretty decent. But I'll be honest: after griping about PFJ for a long time and taking a good part of my business to TAs, a lot of PFJs don't look too bad now.

But as is with a lot of truck stops, so often it's the drivers that screw things up.

Dave_in_AZ and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Petro isnt half bad. I actually like the one in Little Rock but it's worn out and some changes due to too many bus loads of people being dumped there at all hours of the day when federal buses used to stop there. There are actually laws in place preventing me from legally talking about those buses so I'll leave it there.

I prefer other Petros I think of one in Joplin MO. Possibly one north of Doswell VA. Those two were good stops. The fuel I think is the best quality of all the chain stops. I don't know who supplies Petro but dam that fuel is good in cetane. (Not octane, we are dealing with Diesel not gasoline.)

Dave_in_AZ and 48Packard Thank this.
  5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Danny's is going too, and the field in front of it lol.

6. Longarm

Longarm Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2011
    C'mon, man. Put these on.

rose glasses.jpe

7. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    They aren't. They're "Travel Centers".

8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Aaaahh.....truck stops, yeah, I've been to a few over the years. "In my day" it was 76's and single operations across the country. Flying "J" sprang up from Utah and spread out thru the states slowly at first. Loves, originally from Oklahoma also spread as did Pilot's (from Tn.) I'm just slightly amazed at some driver's ragging on certain truck stops, like the "J" in Phoenix off I-10 and 67th ave I believe. But I'm certain he still patronizes that truck stop and these other drivers who stop at a certain lousy location when there are other choices.

Ok, so let's analyze for a minute. Corporate run operations (that make $$$) aren't that quick to change, right ? I mean, why should they ? Heck, the dummaz drivers are lining up to open their wallets, right ? The chitter-chatter I see on here about Pilots this, Loves that, terrible service, blah blah blah. BUT, look at most any Pilot and what do you see ? A ton of trucks waiting to get in PLUS, a ton of 4 wheelers gassing up. ( I won't bring up the 20 people in line to buy candy bars and sodas at the register with one employee manning it)

Ok, so, consider also that most are franchises, who don't want to spend additional $$$ to "upgrade their facilities". Even when cleaning the aisles etc, they're dirty with-in minutes. It's the drivers who dirty them, not some gremlin parachuting in from the heavens above as is the parking lot. I love the drivers who kick back with feet up on the furniture in the TV lounge ! Just like being in your living room, right There Daddy ? Just waiting for Mama to fetch that cold beer.

And of course no one's guilty of dumping trash in the parking lot. I have a suggestion........Have 2 types of truck stops, one for slobs and one for neat and orderly drivers.

9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    If your referring to me. I have a 60 page thread on the toilet that is the Flying J Phoenix. I update it with photos when I go there.

My option is the Pilot, which is a far bigger toilet.

I'm very comfortable at most any truck stop, but have no problem calling a spade a spade. In 11 years I have yet to use my truck as a toilet, or throw any garbage on anyone's lot. Guess I'm just a super trucker.

I prefer Petro's, and basically would plan any trip around them.

Why would you build up something that is a #### hole, and not just call it what it is?

10. trucknguy

trucknguy Medium Load Member

Mar 19, 2015
    West coast
    I remember when coffee was ALWAYS free, and a shower was too. It wasn't that long ago. But now they discovered the poor ######## on their way to work could be fleeced for coffee and cigs too. It really got bad when they took the separate car/truck fuel desks and combined 'em. Now i gotta wait while mrs hohnson tries to remember what brand her teenager smokes and my 14 hour clock is ticking

x1Heavy and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  11. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    Well if it's worse than the Pilot in Nogales it must be worth writing about.:eek:

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.