TA just raised shower prices really?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Lonewolf2000, Mar 9, 2019.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    I just don't go there anymore simple as that

PE_T Thanks this.
  4. PureLeafTea

PureLeafTea Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2013
    You guys do it to yourselves. Truck stops cost money. Pavement costs money. Employees cost money. Water costs money. Start spending MONEY in these places. If all you do is use their microwave, steal their air and water, steal their utensils and condiments, park in their lot and piss and crap in bags on their lot and use their trash cans which cost money to empty, etc what do you expect? Frankly I don’t see how TA survives on just selling fuel. The restaurant can’t be a profit center either. Popeyes I can see, but you can only eat so much greasy chicken. Pilot like them or not as a business designed to make money and to quickly get a bite to eat, sell merch, etc is king. TAs/Petros are nice for parking, but parking doesn’t make you money.

Look at things from a business perspective people.

5. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

TA/Petro is now capitalizing on their big parking lots with this new trend of reserved parking. Thanks Pilot/FJ for popularizing it. Now even no-name truck stops are jumping in.

I think most of TA/Petro’s revenue is coming from their shops and roadside service, followed by fuel (for trucks and cars), and then their store. I think their store sales may be more profitable than fuel. I see lots of non-truckers buy stuff left and right.

6. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    How can you thank Pilot for paid parking when TA started it? I dont think Pilot popularized it...

7. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I remember Pilot/FJ starting it. When TA/Petro came into the picture, they were very loud, converting dozens of their parking lots into 20% to 50% reserved parking. But maybe I’m wrong, and TA/Petro started it. By the way, I am talking specifically about reserved parking, not paid parking in general.

8. JonJon78

Jul 1, 2018
    TA started reserved parking... That's what I'm talking about.

9. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Maybe someone else can chime in. To me it felt like Pilot/FJ started it, and once TA/Petro found out, they quickly moved in since they really are the ones who can capitalize on this with their big lots.

10. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

It appears TA/Petro started this reserved parking some three years before Pilot/FJ started.

Pay to park, or take your chances?

JonJon78 Thanks this.
  11. JonJon78

Jul 1, 2018
    And you didn't want to believe me, my feelings are hurt :p

But I remember when TA started the reserved parking they claim it was a "You asked, we listened" deal initially when it first started.

They claim that they would get lots of requests from drivers to start some type of reserved parking system and then they rolled it out.

I think that they became overly aggressive and greedy with it within the past 2 years especially with the Elogs fiasco last year...

I guess time will tell if it's working for them to make more money or not. In my opinion I cant see it really helping them, if anything I see them losing money. I tried to stay loyal to TA but it got ridiculous that I was spending money fueling with them but yet because of the amount of designated reserved spots I would have to come out of pocket a couple of times a week just to park at night. In 2018 I spent $46k on fuel at TA/Petro that doesn't count the food/coffee and whatever else I purchased.

This year I've fueled at TA twice for maybe a total of $800...

Theyve pretty well lost me as a customer.

Brandt and PE_T Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.