TA just raised shower prices really?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Lonewolf2000, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Aamcotrans

Aamcotrans Road Train Member

May 24, 2016
    Strasburg, Va
    Their coffee is trash, hence why I never stop there, well, very seldom any way..

Omega1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Some T/A , Petro’s are up to 75 gallons for shower credits now.

4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I think you are talking about AMBEST truck stops. TA/Petro is pretty much the same across their truck stops. According to their rewards program rules, you need to fuel at least 60 gal to receive one credit, which can then be used at any of their locations.

5. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Well March is almost done and I've still got 400+ gallons to reach level 3. I think the only people that will make it to level 5 are guys driving 30 year old Cat powered Pete's pulling cast lead barns on a flat deck uphill both ways.

,,, with a fuel leak!

6. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

These past couple of weeks I’ve been fueling exclusively at TA/Petro (using NASTC), but only because of their nationwide shower network. I am back again attempting a cardio workout as an OTR driver, and I really need to be able to take a shower after a workout, whether it’s in my 30-min, 10-hr, or 34-hr breaks. It’s too much trouble dealing with AMBEST, Roady’s, or the independents. So far I’ve been successful for 3 weeks in a row with the cardio workout.

I ran some numbers about 3 weeks ago comparing fueling only at TA/Petro versus the cheapest fuel stops available in NASTC. I found that fueling only at TA/Petro can cost—up to 5 cents—per gallon more on average. So, if your MPGs are 7.0 and you drive 130k miles yearly. That would be an extra cost of $930. However, the cost is likely to be much lower because fueling exclusively at TA/Petro would mean you will probably hit level 4 or 5, and then receive 3 or 4 cents per gallon, respectively. Level 4 (3 cents) will equal to $555 using the same miles/MPG’s above. Then there is the ability to use shower credits for reserved parking or a meal. Finally, if you hit 20k points in one calendar year, you gain platinum status and can receive a free refill for every purchase of 75 gal, among other perks.

I guess TA/Petro may not be too bad after all. By the way, I also ran some numbers comparing fueling only at Pilot/FJ (10 cents off, OOIDA fuel card) versus only at TA/Petro (with NASTC). Not surprisingly, TA/Petro is cheaper by—at least 5 or even 10 cents. I know you were expecting a larger difference, but the truth is there is some trickery going on with fuel prices. It’s actually possible for Pilot/FJ to be cheaper than TA/Petro, but only certain regions. Overall, TA/Petro will beat Pilot/FJ.

7. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

I was under the impression my boss had a book that had discounts listed for each station.

I don't think I've seen that since '09. Maybe it doesn't apply anymore. But the company line is to use TA, and "Mongo only lowly steering wheel holder."

homeskillet Thanks this.
  8. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I fueled most at TA/Petro because of the shower network. Lots of them around the USA. Even with their older truck stops. Even when they raised fuel to 60gallon for free shower. I could get 60 gallons and save credits for 10 days. Basically I could shower every day for free even during a 34 hour restart.

Not anymore the 24 hour limit stopped that and I'm not wasting time trying to figure out has it been 23:45 since last fill up or 24:15. Plus the old truck stop and paid parking and restaurants closing at 10pm.

I'LL buy Love's and never have to worry about all that. I'm only 30 gallons away from UNLIMITED shower at Love's. Loves will give you 2 unless they changed it to one. FREE shower credit everyday even if you Don't but any fuel once you hit Platinum level plus free drinks. It pretty easy to get

TA/Petro is putting themselves out of business, it just not worth the hassle. I can shower in afternoon when loves is less busy. So no waiting for a shower. Love's say Welcome Everytime you walk in. TA/Petro are like you park out in the back row unless your paying, and you can pay for a shower. You not welcome to TA/Petro unless you got a $20 or $40 to pull into the truck stop.

9. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I understand that they changed the 24 hour thing to once every calendar day.

10. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    That would be better then every 24 hours. I guess you still could not bank shower credits say for a 34 reset. Seem like they want stop driver from saving up shower credits when they all ready go away after 7 or 10 days.

TokyoJoe Thanks this.
  11. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

It’s actually a 24 hr period, regardless of the calendar day. In other words, 24 hrs from the last time you fueled. I verified it a couple months ago.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.