TA security guard shoots driver/parking dispute

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Doealex, Feb 14, 2020.

1. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Im not a workmans comp lawyer so I don't know how it will play out on the end, but i do know how a similar injury played out for one of my drivers back in 02. He got mugged walking to the truck at the old rip griffin(now a ta) east of Dallas. Got hit over the head with something leaving him with a real bad concussion, several staples and a stay in the hospital. Our workmans comp denied the claim because it happened during a crime, not work related injury.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    Infosaur and PE_T Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

That’s a separate issue. He was at a truck stop taking a 30-min break. Now, if the driver had gone inside the store and robbed the cashier and got hurt while doing it, then no, workers’ comp wouldn’t apply.

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    But he did steal from the truck stop. He was illegally parked in a reserved spot. But you are right that it would take a court case to determine liability.
    Now if liability court cases were tried on law it might matter. Since every liability case I've seen the results of are tried on emotions, it doesn't really matter what happened, just who have the deepest pockets.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  5. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

So we’re all stealing when we take a 30-min break on a reserved parking space during a time when they’re not really in use, especially when plenty are empty or the truck stop is small? The shooting happened at 4:30am, and we can assume that the driver parked there a little after 4am. Any OTR driver knows it is bs for this to be a problem. And, yes, if the guard asked me to move, I will move—to the fuel island! Hahaha. Okay...to the truck stop across the street.

By the way, I just realized that the TA OKC West, where it happened, never ever gets full! Also, there are four mega truck stops in that exit, and none ever get full, except the Love’s, which only has 20 parking spaces. So sad.

Attached Files:

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    It's not up to you to determine when you can use a paid spot If TA says it's a paid spot it is. And like you said, they have plenty of free spots, he could have parked there and nothing would have happened.

JonJon78 Thanks this.
  7. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I don’t think you understand the situation ZVar. You’re a local driver. I and many other OTR drivers park in reserved parking spaces all the time and at different hours of the day. If plenty are available at 10pm, I’ll take one for a 30-min break. No problems at all. A few places like the TA in Commerce City, CO will block out most reserved parking spaces with a yellow tape.

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    While I am local now, I did work OTR. In that time I never took a spot that wasn't a legal spot. It's called trip planning.

Doesn't matter anyway as in the case discussed there was plenty of legal parking.

JonJon78 Thanks this.
  9. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I bet there weren’t any reserved parking spaces when you did OTR. It seems like you’re quite unaware of how common it is to take a 30-min break in a reserved parking space. Now, taking your 10-hr break in a reserved parking space is clearly stealing.

There are truck stops where there isn’t much space left to park because now it’s like 50% reserved parking. You need to park somewhere. So you can park in the fuel island, next to the CAT scale, in a fire curb, or if you’re like most reasonable drivers, just take a reserved parking space and take your 30-min break! And, yes, you want to be careful about doing this at night.

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I'd say 1/2 to 3/4 of the truck stops had them. Again doesn't matter in this case anyway.
    The subject is a driver got shot when confronted for parking illegally. Let's try and stick to that subject.

11. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

The subject was whether or not the driver will be covered by workers’ comp. It’s possible it won’t, depending on the type of insurance coverage.

You are here making a big fuss over taking a 30-min break in a reserved parking space when in reality it’s not. Truck stops with reserved parking know this will happen because sometimes there isn’t enough parking. I’m sorry ZVar, but sometimes you go overboard with stuff that most people would find funny and a little OCPD.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.