TA security guard shoots driver/parking dispute

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Doealex, Feb 14, 2020.

1. navypoppop

navypoppop Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    If the driver was taking a federally mandated 30 minute break he was still in control of the truck and should be entitled to workers comp. as he wasn't off duty.

Being in a controlled pay to park site without paying for it is stealing a service that he was not entitled to. I for one will plan a trip to arrive at a truck stop that has plenty of free parking.

I'm sure that driver wouldn't stop on the interstate for his 30 minute break and argue with a trooper about why he was parked there.

Infosaur and ZVar Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    It's the root cause of all that's happened. If the driver would have simply parked legally he would not have been shot.

And yes, I despise thieves. Probably because I had stuff stolen from me that I worked hard to acquire. I have no empathy for someone that gets shot while stealing. Doesn't matter how minor the thief thinks it is, it's still stealing.

4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Root cause? Really? Just imagine hearing from the court judge,

“Well, see. You parked where you weren’t supposed to, so that automatically means you are guilty of everything that came after.”

Yup, that’s bs. Every action should be judged separately. The driver refusing to leave; the security guard messing around with his truck; the security guard shooting an unarmed driver; and so on.

So shooting the driver for “stealing” a reserved parking is justified? Bs.

Western flyer Thanks this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Didn't say it was justified. Just I don't feel bad for the driver who put himself in that situation.

6. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Oh for pete's sake.

Look at this, at the end of the day it's the Wild West because the insurance weasels will take your premiums then find a way not to pay out. You have to take a break, but you can't park. If someone commits a crime then workmans comp doesn't apply? Must be great when someone flips out and shoots up a warehouse. "Weeee, we don't have to pay!" Insurance Company.

Are we really going to this? Fine!
    I'll take my chances with the courts, but you're going to the morgue.

(Frickin' convicts have more rights and better healthcare than us working stiffs anyway,,,,)

7. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Im not saying it's right. I fought for him but at the end of the day what is an employer suppressed to do when the insurance company denies the claim?

I think it comes down to what is considered normal work related risk. For a truck driver injuries from getting in an accident or falling off a load would be covered. For a police officer getting shot would be.

8. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Did your company offer to pick up the costs out their own pocket?

9. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am the owner. I did not pick up the cost. I felt no responsibility for it. If a auto factory worker gets mugged going home from work does ford cover his medical expenses?

What I did do was loan him some cash to keep the lights on and food on the table while he recovered and could get back to work. But that was a personal decision, not a business direction.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.