Tag axle shook the truck violently.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Y2K, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Lucar

Lucar Road Train Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Texas
    You said shook and I'm sorry but I couldn't help ...
    I hope it gets worked out. Meanwhile have a laugh...

[​IMG]

Y2K Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. beltrans

beltrans Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2008
    spokane wa
    I was a driver for Puget Sound once. My truck did that very thing. It never happened after shop replaced the tag axle stabilizers...

Y2K Thanks this.
  4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Sorry to threadjack(?), but I don't see anything funny about this video. Nobody has any kind of lifejacket on and the girls in the bikini's definitely hit their heads on the side of the boat. And they wonder why people get hurt and drown on boats. I think it's incredibly irresponsible.

5. MechTech

MechTech Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Clackamas, OR
    You really need to be careful and have it checked out. I had to dig around and find some pics from a unit with a sporatic issue. Turned out the vibration did more damage than the driver had thought. We had a complete wheel end almost come off on I-5 in Seattle. 2012-02-27_07-41-09_272.jpg 2012-02-27_07-41-30_779.jpg 2012-02-27_07-43-56_966.jpg

Have seen 3 of these fail in the last few years.

Y2K Thanks this.
  6. Y2K

Y2K Road Train Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Yacolt,WA
    Well I'm not in that truck anymore but I'll pass this one.

7. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Old thread I know but man I had this happen years ago....on new FL70.....freaked me out a little. Within a split second I suspected the air pressure was wrong (always had to guess what pressure I should be at!) so I reached down and hit the lever to pull it up and barley stopped in time for a intersection.....

Now the last tagged truck I drove....the mechanic said, "leave the pressure where I set never change it!".

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  8. Y2K

Y2K Road Train Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Yacolt,WA
    The truck I was in then had the tag control outside the cab,no way to lift without stopping the truck and getting out. Turned out the steering shocks on the tag axle were shot,hit a bump and it went crazy on me. I'm in a newer truck now with the lift control inside on the dash,much better deal.If I get any shimmy at all I'm calling the shop and want it fixed!

9. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    threw me off with you calling it a tag axle. actually a pusher axle steerable. had one on a heavyhaul truck one time stabilizer shock broke going down the road at 60 mph grossing 145000lbs. did some CRAZY drivin before I got stopped. went straight home and replaced with a straight axle after that!

Y2K Thanks this.
  10. Quickdumptrucking

Quickdumptrucking Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2023
    Same thing happened to me 80psi on tag axle, loaded with 17tons of dirt cruising at 60mph hit a rough patch on I-5 and the truck started shaking VERY violently, I suspected it was the tag axle since this only happened to me when loaded and tag axle down, I purposely went through a rough road at 45mph tag axle down fully loaded and sure enough the truck started to shake violently until I hit the brakes and slowed down to about 35mph, after that I tried doing that again fully loaded briefly raised the tag up on the rough area cruising at 55mph and nothing happened, I lowered the pressure to 60psi and tried again and it did it once again however this time it didn’t do it as harsh I just pressed the brakes and it went away without getting to the violent shake of death so I think it’s all about how you set the pressure on your drop/tag axle

11. Quickdumptrucking

Quickdumptrucking Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2023
    Since mine also steers I guess it is a steerable push axle… the point is that it shook like hell, and it scared the lights out of me and everyone around me on the highway, I’m a very mechanically inclined individual so after seeing the design of the “drop axle” on my truck, I believe that if the axle has 2 air bags (springs) exerting force down on the ground they should also have some form of shock absorbers/dampers that prevent them from bouncing like an over inflated basketball but I don’t see that anywhere… and I don’t think the struts that prevent them going side to side will be able to prevent the up and down bouncing problem

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.