Tail Gaiting

Discussion in 'Australian Truckers Forum' started by aussiejosh, Aug 25, 2010.

1. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    G'day , as a truck driver i'm quite ashamed to say every day i see need less and quite dangerous tail gating when i worked at Linfox we were taugh the 3 second rule actually its probably better to use 4 or 5 seconds with a B Double or Roadtrain i work alot in the Bowen Basin i must say its only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt by some truck driver that simply doesn't use his head i was tail gated today by a Caltex Truck driven and owned by Crokers in Mackay that driver should be sacked immidiatly, following me at less then 10m gap at 100kmph is just stupidity he did this between Coppabella and Nebo Juntion a distance of over 50 km Crokers need to really get there act together and teach there drivers specially ones driving with dangerous goods to watch there travelling distances.

johnday Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

Oh boy! really know what you're saying. Last winter I was in Pennslyvania on I 80. I was first truck in line following a snowplow, it was the best option. We were doing around 50kph, and I look in my mirror, and here's a USX truck 30-50' off my bumper. Of course he was involved in a very important cell phone call. He was so close, I could actually see him on the phone. Another driver called me on the CB and said to really watch it because of the idiot on my bumper. Really frosts your cookies doesn't it?:biggrin_25510:

4. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    It's an act of testosterone and repeatedly getting away with it.

It doesn't make sense to me either if you are a safety aware driver.

You save 2-3 seconds versus death. Kind of a stupid trade off.

gdyupgal Thanks this.
  5. aussiejosh

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Any wonder us truckies get a bad name , i often wonder when sometimes a truck driver has to get into a car and drive on the road and have a Semi or B- Double right beside his back side its just plain dangerous its life threatening to make it worse i was actually doing the right speed if not a tad over so there again is no excuse for this disgraceful driving manner.

:biggrin_25513:

6. Donk

Donk Have a Cup Of Concrete

Apr 27, 2008

They usually only do it to me once, regardless of if im in the car or truck..:biggrin_2559:

7. aussiejosh

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Another instance occured while i was travelling with 2 friends from Proserpine to Bowen we were cruising along at the correct speed 100 kph and i just happened to look in my rear vision mirror to my horror there was this B-Double only mtrs away from my bumper bar so what to i do? speed up or get off the road both would be dangerous i'm doing the legal speed limit i know another driver who chose to get off the road only to have his car roll over cause there was a deep drain on the side of the road, another instance some friends of mine were travelling up to Townville this B- double passed them even though they were doing the correct speed limit he basically almost ran them off the road in the process in this case they actually rang the police who stopped the truck driver who then proceeded to claim the cars were all at fault, my question is all semi's in Australia are supposed to be speed limited so how did this moron get up to enough speed to pass ? Answer his truck had been illegally tampered with simple as that the Dept of Transport in Qld should get on to this they seem to be closing there eyes, again its only a matter of time before something really serious happens but hey whats a life really worth? I wonder if theses drongo's would tailgate if they new it was there wife and kids in the car in front they really need to wake up to themselves.

:biggrin_25513:

8. mrrolly

mrrolly Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I see too much of it doing runs Melb to Sydney along the Hume. Crazy ##### they are too.....come boring up behind ya at warp speed and off into the night. A few miles up the road, you pass them stopped on the side of the road catching up to their logbook, or just cutting out time between the cameras. The silly part of it is you both end up in Sydney about the same time. All that extra speed for what? Lord knows, I'd sooner plod along at 100km and get there in one piece, without the worry of relying on cb reports of where the cops are blah blah blah.....Guess they aint getting paid by the hour either....lolz :biggrin_2559:

9. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    I have seen company drivers on the long open spaces in Namibia do it on purpose.It is illegal of course.Sometimes 3 or four interlinks (B - Doubles) at a time.They do it to get fuel bonuses or so they can steal diesel with out it been evident.You can apparently save 25% on fuel by slipstreaming like this.The down side is that you may lose your life and take a few more with you.I also don't think "well look how much diesel we saved" will cover it when it comes undone.

10. aussiejosh

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Yes i can see the value of saving fuel but not at the expense of endangering other peoples lives it would seem that the mighty $ has more value than a human life.

Last Tuesday again i was in my car ( 4 wheeler) driving home minding my own business doing the correct speed when some car carrier with no major company logo on it, (so i couldn't report the company) decided he'd "try and save some fuel " by sitting quite literaly 1 metre off my bumper bar in my view thats the same as pointing a loaded gun at someone . when i tapped my brakes to show him what happens when you don't apply a 3 -4 second space he of course objected to that and proceeded to apply more fuel saving tactics with the added extra of putting his lights on high beam with spot lights included again whats the difference between that and pointing a loaded gun at someone? I rang the the Dept of transport Qld the following morning to report this they said "it was a police matter" which may be the case however something seriously needs to be done to curb tailgating it is getting dangerously out of hand.

11. Donk

Donk Have a Cup Of Concrete

Apr 27, 2008
    i find 60kph annoys them. as does accelerating when they want to pass
    jsut dont do this with SFA fuel in the tanks:biggrin_25523:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.