Take this job or stay w/ union?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by BigDog Trucker, Dec 2, 2019.

1. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    if you can afford to be laid off for 10 weeks, stick with it. the union non-trucking job will, hands down, be way better than this heavy haul job. ill be honest, i wouldn’t do heavy haul for <$30/hr...even then idk if that’s enough.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Nah bro, f all that. I couldn’t be an apprentice.

teamsters isn’t perfect but it’s a hell of a lot better than most other gigs out there. Plus it’s an easy switch to operator union.

like I’m technically a quad axle dump truck driver, doesn’t mean I don’t run pavers, low boys, skid steers, street sweepers and loaders. So once you’re vested it’s easy to move to operator because you already know how to do it all.

I’m basically a truck driver and underpaid operator lol.

dwells40 and BigDog Trucker Thank this.
  4. rcelmo

rcelmo Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Another thing about the trucking gig......I have never met anybody that
    was very successful driving a truck that didn't work very hard at it. Trucking
    looks easy but gigs come and gigs go. To succeed long term you have to develop
    long term relationships. Heavy haul does pay better but you screw up one time
    and you are looking for another job.

An example.....one of our customers asked me to move his brand new $250,000
    curb machine. I was very careful......did a good job with my tiedowns.....didn't scratch
    the machine, etc. When I got to the jobsite he was there......he looked over his machine,
    after a minute he started smiling.....from than on I moved his machine.

The other issue with trucking gigs is when you get old....what than? When it gets
    harder and harder to pass the physical......when you don't want to be gone all the
    time???? Keep with the union plumbing gig and when you get your time in someday
    you can be the boss....get paid top dollar telling the young guys to work.

5. BigDog Trucker

BigDog Trucker Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Yeah that's true. I'm on my way to being 39 though. So even though I feel great, I'm not exactly a young lad either. More like becoming that grizzled mule that doesnt like to take too much guff from youngn's lol. There are guys in their 40s in the union gig already on all kinds of pain meds for their knees/backs and barely getting through the work day.

If I'm being realistic, I'm not even sure if I could work my way into being foreman. You really have to know your stuff, and I'm just starting out in this trade. By the time I get enough experience under my belt to take on a foremans job, I'll already be in my early to mid-50s at least. On the other hand, as long as I pass my DOT, I can just keep motoring along working my chains n binders and holding a steering wheel making somewhere in the $30s hopefully. But like you said, one screw-up thats big enough, and you could be out a job.

6. npok

npok Light Load Member

Sep 26, 2015
    I was a machinist for 5 years. Had my CDL for 3 years before I started making chips but didn't use it much (about a year's time). Worked up to a job where I was an unofficial CNC Programmer.

After being canned for "insubordination" (which didn't hold up under state scrutiny btw), I finally got fed up with the shop politics & depressed wages for skilled trades in my area.

I made my fallback position my primary & haven't looked back. I've had ups & downs, but I've always had options.

7. EuropeanTrucker

EuropeanTrucker Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2018
    I was in the same position last year...I was accepted into Electrician apprenticeship program and did it for about 6 month... then got laid off for four months.

My father suggested trucking and told me I could make at least $1500 a week. I wish I kind of stayed with the electrician program but I have mouths to feed. However, I enjoy trucking more and I like my linehaul gig.

8. BigDog Trucker

BigDog Trucker Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2018
    I made the decision. Going heavy haul, baby!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.