Take your time getting on a scale!!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by CertifiedSweetie, Apr 13, 2012.

1. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Actually no. Some trailers will 'settle' but I've never known the truck to do that. Depends on the truck?

Level or not I will always set brakes before I get out of the drivers seat and have no plans to change that habit.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    One of the reasons I never liked elevated scales.
    Notice the construction around the scale? Part of it is already dissasembled.
    Probably in the process of being torn out and the driver decided to use it for a lane bacause everything else was choked with trucks parked every direction.

lonewolf4ad Thanks this.
  4. freedhardwoods

freedhardwoods Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2011
    SW IN
    What is the secret password to make it appear? There is no picture!

5. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Yeah, scale is under construction......But none of you guys have observed the engine oil grease spots on this end of the scale. As in, truck pulls on, waits for green lite, and while doing so, he's dropping some oil on the floor, right ? Dead giveaway, so driver IS pulling on the correct way. (call box junction box in forefront, under construction)

allniter and CondoCruiser Thank this.
  6. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

secret password :biggrin_2555: Strange it shows up on mine as well as others in 1st post , also a couple reposts throughout the thread. What browser are you using ?

7. freedhardwoods

Feb 4, 2011
    SW IN
    There are individual scales on the platform to give you the separate readings. Each individual scale has lateral movement.

If you set the tractor and trailer brakes, you could catch one scale swinging forward while another is swinging back. This would give a false weight reading.

By setting the tractor or trailer, not both, the individual scales can settle to the midpoint and give an accurate reading.

tinytim and 48Packard Thank this.
  8. freedhardwoods

Feb 4, 2011
    SW IN
    Firefox...............

9. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
  10. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Good point. But I'm guessing it doesn't take too long to settle, so by stopping on the scale and counting to five or ten seconds, you should be fine.

13 years I've been doing this....just never really thought of all possible implications of the laws of physics. Interesting.

11. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    If your weighing on a platform scale, it has to be level, an unlevel scale will give an inaccurate weight. Hence, there is no reason to set your brakes on the scale. I've even seen/heard scale masters at various POE's tell drivers to release their brakes when they roll onto the scale so as to get an accurate reading. I hvae a couple of grain customers who won't scale you if your foot is on the brake or if you set your brakes while stopped. As for hitting the button, you open your door, step out on your side step and press the button. If your truck rolls more than a few inches, you've got other issues.

As for settling, did this on Ft. Morgan the other day. Hooked to a load, dollied up, hoped in the truck and my airride was showing 62 PSI (roughly 37,000 lbs) on my drives. Released the brakes and it settled to about 48 PSI. Co-worker said he has always set his brakes on the scale. Customer took his weight, then told him to go release his brakes and get out of the truck. He was surprised, weight difference of 1,200 lbs gross. He didn't realize that by pulling on the scale and setting his brakes right away, he could throw the scale off.

tinytim Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.