Taking a BIG step... But I'm unsure. Help!

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by KingTrucker, Aug 17, 2013.

1. technoroom

technoroom Heavy Load Member

Nov 8, 2012
    When I trained back in March of 2013, the training pay rate was $90 per day. What it is now (if you have to go out with a trainer) is whatever is in your offer letter. :)
    I attended Roehl's CDL school (RDTC) in Marshfield, WI before going out with my trainer, and was eligible for a sign-on bonus. The amount might depend on your circumstances -- experienced vs. new driver when coming in, etc. Note that at least in my case, the sign-on bonus was payable at the point where you have 60,000 paid miles with the company. If you like, you can be advanced the signon bonus during your first two weeks, but if you leave before attaining 60k paid miles you'd have to pay the advance back to Roehl.

KingTrucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KingTrucker

KingTrucker Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Thanks Tank. And I'm just noticing your profile pic. I would like to say to you... THANK YOU for everything you've done for the freedom of the people of this Country. Even though we have a horrible justice sytem, I believe I can speak for millions and say, we forever owe you a debt of gratitude for your service. Thanks again Soilder/Driver! Its an honor!

4. KingTrucker

Mar 19, 2013
    Thanks Tech! Do you know if the sign on bonus is the same for everyone, or does it vary with experience like you said?

5. KingTrucker

Mar 19, 2013
    That would be fine with me. Wide range of distances to travel, thus I think giving me a great opportunity to get some pretty good miles and money. Can you tell me some of the shippers and recievers I will repetitively see? And how much freight is actually in my area... (North Carolina) that Roehl actually hauls? Can you also give me some pointers or tips on how I can get a little faster at securing? (Little things us as drivers might forget some time).

6. KingTrucker

Mar 19, 2013

I asked Tank as well, but a little different. How often do you see the mid-atlantic/southeast area? Tank mention Texas. Do I have to worry about climbing the hills and moutains of the northeast duing the winter months if I'm uncomfortable with doing so?

7. technoroom

technoroom Heavy Load Member

Nov 8, 2012
    If you're uncomfortable with climbing hills and mountains during winter, I'm not sure what to say. It will be part of the job. Even going down through southern Illinios into Kentucky and Tennessee you will go through some hill and mountain grades, for example Monteagle just west of Chattanooga.

I've not been to mid-atlantic yet, the furthest southeast I've been is Georgia just north of the Florida border.

8. buckmanmike

buckmanmike Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2010
    in the country, georgia
    I have been with Roehl for almost 5 years. If you get a good dispatcher(FM) you can get good miles. Make sure your FM dispatches you through the weekends and nights. Nights and weekend dispatchers refuse to accept any responsibility for anything. They refer you to your FM on Monday or whatever the next day is.
    Company is like everything shuts down at XX:XX time. Different dispatch, different maint, but you are still out there working.
    It seems like every week they come up with a new company policy and it requires time and Roehl will not pay for it.
    Roehl used to be a good company, but they have gone wayyyyyyyyyy down hill. Approach with caution.

9. KingTrucker

Mar 19, 2013

Must not be to bad if you're still there after 5 years.

10. TheTank

TheTank Heavy Load Member

He's just giving the warning that most of us see and know. It's just how you handle it. Then again, to certain degrees, it's like that at most companies.

Projektf350 Thanks this.
  11. TheTank

TheTank Heavy Load Member

Well, I didn't do much SE, but I know there are some constant customers we have in Southern Georgia and South Carolina, usually wood. Not sure about North Carolina.

Tips? Sorry but the best tip I can give is to do it... wrong! Now that may seem indifferent, but you have to do it. And when I say wrong, I mean you add too many chains or too many straps. You put on a tarp and it flaps in the wind and you have to stop and figure out how to get it to stop. Only doing it multiple times is going to get faster. Oh, and if you feel like you aren't doing it right, have the securement book handy for reference. I still use it from time to time 2 years into Flat bedding. I know others who have more time still use it as well. This is one industry that practice makes perfect. Be scared of doing it right, but not too scared that it paralyzes you from doing your job.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.