Taking Knowledge Test for Commercial PERMIT - California

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by NewTruckerGuy, Apr 22, 2024.

1. NewTruckerGuy

NewTruckerGuy Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2024
    Question for those of you who recently started driving (or even for you veterans if you went through the same process)...

I just scheduled my knowledge/written test for the DMV here in CA to get my commercial learning permit... or at least I think I did. The problem is the CA DMV website is so convoluted, it's just not well thought out.

There is no actual option to schedule a "knowledge/written test". The only two choices are "schedule to apply/renew driver's license or RealID" or "schedule a behind-the-wheel" test.

And there's just no getting through the automated system to talk to a live person to verify. So is this the right appointment? You show up for a general appointment for "driver's license" and you tell them you need to take the written test and they give it to you right there?

The appointment is not until almost two months out and I'd hate to show up and be told I booked the wrong kind of appointment.

Yes, I will keep trying to call to verify... maybe I will get lucky. But just thought I'd ask those who know what's up. Thanks.

Numb Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Go in person and tell whoever that you're having trouble with the website.

4. 2Tap

2Tap Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2022
    Southern Wisconsin
    Assuming CA is similar to WI, that is EXACTLY what i did NewTruckerGuy. If you don't have the new real ID i would get that first!

I have a very common first & last name and apparently so does some drunk trucker from Michigan. One would think my SSN# would come into play buy it doesn't. They seemingly kicked it up the food chain to compare pictures.

tscottme, NewTruckerGuy and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    FYI, I have communicated with Ca. DMV thru facebook and actually received answers !

NewTruckerGuy, 2Tap and tscottme Thank this.
  6. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I’ve just walked in for my renewal however I had to take my Hazmat on the spot without appointment.

NewTruckerGuy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.