Taking the leap...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dr Demented, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    I do know that if I buy a Volvo, it will have a Cummins. I don't think there's enough support out there for the Volvo motors. All I can say regarding the above trucks, is that unless you have real deep pockets, you can buy an older truck with a better warranty and save some substantial money. It would have been great to start out with a new truck like that, but this year I hope to upgrade to such. Buying an older truck for far less money and running it for at least a year allows me to do that without going into potentially catastrophic debt.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is don't make it so hard on yourself to start by taking on so much debt!

newly crusin Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    If you ask around some of the people who own volvos you will find there is pretty much always something wrong with them.motors aside, they arr general electrical nightmares. Not what u want in a used truck. .

4. Gears

Aug 20, 2009
    Before I got my own Authority, I ran a 2004 Volvo 630 (midroof). I actually enjoyed the truck. It had a tighter turning radius than my Freightliner, was very quiet on the road and got pretty good fuel economy. Only issue I had was the A/C not holding a charge. Truck got turned in before repaired. It had a Volvo motor in it by the way.
    I would own another Volvo.

newly crusin Thanks this.
  5. newly crusin

newly crusin Medium Load Member

Gears
    Thanks

Yes keeping the monthly overall debt down is my very crucial for success.
    One of the other O/O's stated he doesn't live beyond his means,learns to do without until he can pay cash for things unless it's a truck emergency, stay's below his average monthly budget completes his own maint.,etc..
    Very intelligent advice.
    Yes I would like to purchase a truck,say with an in frame completed to save a few bucks, but a newer truck not past 5 years old still fits into the budget without being broke every month, mainly I would like to stay with a truck that's less than 5 years old for a couple of reasons.

1)Some of the Carriers within 150 miles of me for local work require the truck to be 5 years old or newer ( I could search for carriers that don't care about the age,I found a company that I'm probably going to go with, they don't care about the age of the truck)
    2) I would rather support the additional cost monthly for a vehicle that has say 300k-400k less mileage on the entire truck.I can afford the small difference monthly.
    3)As per my insurance quotes, the Volvo is less costly to insure as compared to other makes( for a new driver) ,
    4) I hope I don't have to deal with electrical problems, if so that's why I'm searching for a truck with a warranty.I know that the electrical problems could arise at any time/anywhere.

Thanks all.:biggrin_25519:
    I'm open to any other suggestions.

Gears Thanks this.
  6. newly crusin

Gears,

Thanks for the advice,It's early so I didn't read your post all the through.

Yes I do have the option of working for a small local company near me,they don't care about the age of the truck, I would either run under their auth. or mine and they have the consistent work.
    Basically I was told by the hiring manager, if my truck passes a DOT inspection, meet insure. requirements,pass a drug test, I could be working 2 days later.
    They don't have a high turnover of O/O's working for them,2 guys just retired in the fall.

I'm going to drive out and apply this week, 2 hours away.

I did find a Volvo truck for sale near me cheap,original owner 62 year old guy, low mileage and in good condition, also 2 hours away, probably going to check it out this week.

Yes the possibility of driving an older truck for a year as long I have this small company feeding me work as an O/O is possible.
    Then upgrade to a newer truck next year after banking $.

Thanks,
    Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

The Challenger and Gears Thank this.
  7. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    "Newly crusin" FYI, it's 'Cummins' not 'Cummings'.

KO1927 Thanks this.
  8. newly crusin

Thanks,
    it was way to early for me to be typin.

9. Dr Demented

Dr Demented Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Delphi, IN
    An update...I've managed to whittle my startup costs way down due to finding an older truck and starting with just one trailer. I'm looking at a 98 Freightliner Century with the Series 60 Detroit and 890k miles, for $8500. It's already had it's million-mile overhaul, and new tires...so a couple less things to worry about at the start. I took it for a test drive today and am planning to have my mechanic stop by and give the final yes or no. The plan is to just run it for 6 months to a year and save the money for a newer truck. From what I hear on these boards, popular opinion is that pre-2003 is a good thing because of no EGR.

Here's my new numbers for anyone who is interested....

Truck: $8500
    Trailer: $7500
    DOT: $2572
    Insurance: $7700
    HUT: $550
    Safety Management: $210
    3-months fuel buffer: $15,000

New startup total=$42,032

Maybe banks won't laugh me out of their offices now, lol...well, at least as fast, right?

10. Gears

Aug 20, 2009
    My numbers were pretty close to yours. Your fuel buffer seems pretty high. you can lower that by factoring or some brokers offer a quick pay which is less than factoring. You do want some reserve for the unexpecteds that always seem to show up at the worst times.
    Good luck and thanks for the update!

11. easeway

easeway Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2008
    NC
    Gears did you just start using load boards & find brokers using the boards as time went by or did you have established brokers before you started hauling on your own?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.