Talk me out of it

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by pismelled, Nov 16, 2010.

1. pismelled

pismelled Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Vancouver, Washington
    Wow, the assumptions just keep coming! For the record, I didn't disregard anything. I read and re-read every post, picked everything apart to find actual facts, and even made a list to verify what I understood. As I stated, it's a very impressive list. Impressive enough to have made me decide to submit an application to May Trucking already, and begin research into what other companies I may want to apply with.

I do plan to continue researching how to become an owner/operator though, so I guess you guys didn't change my mind entirely. I just hope to find a resource somewhere that I can get actual facts and details about starting out, rather than the offensive, presumptuous "canned" responses that only serve to scare people away.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Now that's a plan!

4. GoneButNotForgotten

GoneButNotForgotten Heavy Load Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Roxboro, N.C.
    Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. I would also like to the best of my ability try and clarify to you why you get so many "canned" responses from the posters here on this board. The reason is because they care. That's it, they care. Experience has shown them in the past, that hundreds of would-be drivers asking them this/or a similar question, that their advice is usually ignored and disaster results. So they come out swinging the baseball bat as hard as they can in the hopes that they get your attention fast. You know, in this instance, it may have paid off.
    If you are still wondering though, just think about how many other skilled or professional trade students that comes out of school and starts their own business? Just about all (mechanics, plumbers, electricians, doctors, lawyers, etc) apprentice or work with experienced people before they take out on their own. Remember, there are two parts to the O/O formula, the driving part and the business part. Right now, put your emphasis on the driving part.
    Best of luck to you.

walleye, wc5b and Paddletrucker Thank this.
  5. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    don't quote me but I know he lost his truck, I think he lost his family and I believe he's now living in FL with his parents. He's on my FB friends but I havn't talked to him in a long time

6. pismelled

pismelled Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Vancouver, Washington
    Can anyone suggest a message board I can check out to learn more about becoming an owner operator?

7. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    OOIDA has a pile of resources for that. Look into taking some business classes online too - there are quite a few colleges that have online offerings. Columbia University comes to mind - they have an online school of business.

http://www.ooida.com/

The "Truckers U" website has quite a bit of educational material on it as well...

http://www.truckersu.com/index.php

Do you have a Sirius or XM radio? Channel 147 has a lot on it. While I don't subscribe to all of his BS, Kevin Rutherford does have useful information. Midnight eastern, and 4 PM Saturday and Sunday.

8. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

Think of it this way , had you went to a HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR SCHOOL would you want to run right out and buy a BULDOZER , likely not.

The thrill ( temptation ) of the Shiny truck ( REPO lots are full of them ) that you might own someday is very strong , but learn the business first.

A few good links are posted here in regards to being an O/O , take your time learn the ins / outs of trucking .

Big John Thanks this.
  9. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

flatbed, words posted so true..

10. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama
  11. oneshot

oneshot Medium Load Member

Feb 28, 2009
    mississippi
    Put the crack pipe down and step away from the rose colored glasses.:biggrin_2559:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.