Talk to an Australian Trucker

Discussion in 'Australian Truckers Forum' started by Dougie, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Sarge

Sarge Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2007
    North Florida
    I have a question for Dougie,
    my fiance and I have considered moving to Austrailia. We drive team together here in the US. It just so happens she's a Kiwi and also lived in Australia for almost 20 years.
    Are there any truckng jobs there that use team operation and are there any good companys to look into. Unfortunately for me, I'm just a yank.
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dougie

Dougie Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2007
    ... Australia
    Thanks everyone for your info.

Sarge, I just read a position ad in a truck mag for two up team drivers sydney to perth run's ..there are companies that do use two up teams, yes. :biggrin_25519:

If I ever manage to get a scanner I will be able to post some of the trucks I have driven, and yes some road trains. :biggrin_25525: I have a picture of my truck with a 747 on the back (the planes in the background) Ah, and Aires Rock hah, in the background as well.

4. Sarge

Sarge Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2007
    North Florida
    That sounds awesome, how far is that? I'm assuming that's across the interior. or is it rond the bottom somehow? Have you any websites you could share about this?

5. Dougie

Dougie Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2007
    ... Australia
    Hey Sarge,

Its about 3000 kms, its from east to west right though the continent.
    Its a trip :) :biggrin_25511: I don't really have any websites for it though.

6. Dougie

Dougie Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2007
    ... Australia
    Hey guys,

I am planning to visit America on a holiday if I can in the next year or two.

I wanted to ask where the largest truck-show or which the best one to go to is. Also, when are they held? Do they have them often?

Thanks. :biggrin_25520:

7. Sarge

Sarge Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2007
    North Florida
    Here are a couple links you may be interested in
    www.thetrucker.com
    www.ooida.com
    both sites have all kinds of info like that. And they work closely with American truckers and trucking issues.

What"s the best newspaper to look at over there for Aussie trucking jobs if you don't mind me asking.
    Thanks, Sarge

8. whtlinefvr

whtlinefvr Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2007
    PA
    They are everywhere.....Carlisle, Pennsylvania has one in June or July...I can find out. How many hours of driving a day are you allowed to drive down under? And as a truck driver, do the jobs pay well enough down there to make you somewhat wealthy?
    Thanks

9. Dougie

Dougie Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2007
    ... Australia
    Hey mate,

We can drive 12 hours a day legally but if you do a 'fatigue management course' you can do 14 hours a day.

Making good money depends on the job. You could make anywhere from 50 000 to 70 000 a year. The companies here are really only now starting to look after drives, but some still don't.

10. Dougie

Dougie Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2007
    ... Australia

Hey Sarge,

Good good papers on trucks down here I would suggest are 'owner drivers' and 'big rigs' if you can find some websites.

ATM over here multi combination drivers are in high demand.
    Also, no one wants to do interstate anymore (over the road drivers).

But its good in a way because this has caused the companies and the government to make the conditions better for drivers than they were in the previous years.

11. Mr_Dude

Mr_Dude Engineer Of Doom

Aug 18, 2007
    Lowell, Arkansas
    Thanks for the info. Wondered if those would be of any use here in the US, but i can just Imagine one trying to pull a large hill over here already......

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.