Hi guys this is the TNT history thread.
TNT had many companies the first one will talk about is Comet.
Talkin' Trucks With Mike:A History of the TNT Companies
Page 1 of 40
At one time Holland was the cream of the crop for freight jobs. Nearly everyone who worked there was proud of their job and company. You had to know someone to get a job there. They still are a good company, but it isn’t near the same caliber job it once was. I remember the Ford tractors with the lit up air shield over the cab. I-65 was lit up at night with a holland truck passing the other way every few minutes. Now they just blend in at night with the rest of the companies.
No one has light up air shields anymore. Used to be a time when the LTL companies all had them, back when they were proud of what they did. Holland wasn't big in PA but Big R, Roadway sure was. Them and CF, Red Star and even PIE had a presence here.
TNT had quite the worldwide presence, shame they have all been absorbed by other companies now. Here in the US the last of their companies is now under the FedEx banner.
Here is a pic of a TNT Pilot pup set. Does anyone remember the old Pilot logo before the TNT acquisition? I think it was blue and white and looked like a ships wheel if I recall correctly.
A lot of the big day cab fleets used the Ford Aeromax back in the day.
Rene Buron put together a classification list of the TNT Companies because it is very hard to keep them straight. He's way more qualified to talk about them, then I am, but this gives you an overview of what they had there hands in.
Here the completed TNT NA Canadian operations puzzle.I voluntary excluded some marginal and/or very short lived operating units.For the US operations look at Falling Flags Since 1980-US section.
** Alltrans group of companies
* TNT Alltrans Express : continental LTL carrier
* TNT Alltrans Special Commodities : flatbed carrier
* Comet Expedited : expedited freight
* Kwikasair : expedited freight
* CIX (Comet International Express) : intercontinental freight forwarding
** Overland group of companies
* TNT Overland Express : regional LTL carrier
* TNT Overland Western : LTL transborder freight carrier
(a US base carrier)
* TNT Truckload Services : continental road freight forwarding
* JIT : automotive parts scheduled delivery carrier
* TNT Olex : emergency freight
* TNT Taxi Truck : emegency freight
** Trojan group of companies
* Trojan Freight Lines : truckload
(later TNT Uniline)
* Trojan Special Commodities : flatbed carrier & steel hauling
* TNT Tro Air : airfreight trucking
* CCC (Complete Cartage Company) ; local cartage & distribution
** TNT Quebec Group
* Champlain Sept-Iles Express : regional LTL carrier
* Champlain Express : LTL transborder freight carrier
* Nolin Transport : flatbed carrier & container drayage
* Atlas Trucking : flatbed carrier & container drayage
* TNT Heavy Haul : highly skilled heavy haul
* Mirair : air freight trucking
* Entrepï¿½t Lapalme : warehousing & container de-stuffing
** TNT Roadfast : truckload
** TNT Railfast : domestic rail forwarding
** TNT Air Express : domestic air forwarding
** Texport : garment carrier
** TNT Wesbell Transport : telecommunication equipment installation & removal
** TNT Contract Carriers : dedicated contract carrier
** DSL (Dedicated Systems Ltd) : dedicated contract carrier
** DSI (Delivery Services Inc) : home delivery
** Transfreight : automotive parts carrier
** TNT Logistics : dedicated supply chain management
** TNT Skypak : international parcel & mail delivery
** TNT Intercontinental : global freight forwarding
This one time on the CB a driver asked a Roadway driver if he knew what that big R stood for on his truck.
Roadway replied back saying that he didn’t know.
The other guy hollered back “IT STANDS FOR ROADWAY”
It was hilarious, hilarious
Page 1 of 40