Talkin' Trucks With Mike:A History of the TNT Companies

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Jun 9, 2018.

1. taodnt

taodnt Light Load Member

May 6, 2017
    North of Green Bay
    Only every post that you and others make....

:)

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mike_77

Mike_77 Medium Load Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Yes, building cars is a complicated process. West coasters like me know very little about that industry.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  4. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    On top of that beating up, we now have NAFTA coming under review, which may mean more delays and procedures to cross-border supplying, so more absorbed costs for carriers who may be stuck in dedicated contracts.

US vehicles are often now made in maquiladora's on the other side of another border, not sure how that works for carriers but the.

The only vehicles not made in the US will be US brands pretty soon. Like those Harley rice burners.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  5. R. Buron

R. Buron Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2018
    Hello Mike2633, I found this website and this thread by chance and I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw. You give the source of your information as well as of the photos; it's great because it's not always the case on the web. I'm happy to see a thread about TNT which was
    a carrier very special in many regards. So, I decided to sign up and see if I can give comple-
    mentary information or answer to some questions. I will read carefully the 13 pages of posts.

A +

René Buron

brian991219 and Mike2633 Thank this.
  6. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    HI sir, thanks I think I may have screwed up a couple details that got lost in translation and all, but I tried to give credit and everything. A lot of people don't really know about the TNT company that was.

7. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    I was trying to re-read some of this and I know I made few mistakes they weren't on purpose, some of these companies though like @speedyk pointed out, how would you even know who to call.

Like I really can't figure out what TNT Distribution Services did or what they were.

I know Olex was expedited freight and so was Taxi Truck more or less. Taxi Truck was for other industries as you said.

I know from reading you were fairly close with the higher ups at TNT back in the day.

Some of this is confusing to me because I can't always tell the difference between some of these companies. I know in the late 1990s and early 2000s from what you said TNT started consolidating a lot of these companies and putting them under the TNT Logistics Umbrella.

It's pretty cool though I like looking at all the pictures especially the automobile plants and all the information about them.

8. R. Buron

R. Buron Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2018
    When I told that `` I will read carefully the 13 pages of posts `` in my approximate English;
    I mean with pleasure and great interest. I'm proud to see somebody go forward with a so
    complex subject and share its finds with other interested people. It's interesting for me to
    see how the company is perceived by people.

So, my posts on the thread should be limited to some information accessible with difficulty
    for you like the numbers supporting the scope of the Group, it's strategy or the philosophy
    of its leaders.

It's your thread, I don't want to look constantly over your shoulder or be the guy who knows
    everything. Be comfortable and go forward.

Mike_77, Mike2633 and speedyk Thank this.
  9. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    It's occurred to me that I missed an important point. When TNT acquired those companies, customers already knew who to call.

Where TNT likely stumbled was integrating that customer base into the larger TNT. I wonder how many Overnite customers left after the UPS buyout, for example. Or when Fedex bought RPS.

I have been involved on post-takeover projects or new software implementations where transportation companies have failed miserably and alienated customers, but those were railroads and the customers are more captive.

@R. Buron, what drove you to take photos of those trucks at the time? Did you work for one of the consumed companies and wonder how they were going to resolve the branding mess?

I got interested in TNT because I saw similar paint jobs on both coasts during my traveling days, with --I was pretty sure but not perfectly-- different names. . Fast forward almost 15 years and I'm now trying to break into LTL myself and I still see orange and white trucks with dead logos on them, although more of them now are on vacant land out west, working as storage rooms with dead rotted tires.

It's interesting out here, once I started looking, how many places pup trailers end up in. They are handier than a 48/53 to situate, likely cheaper to buy and move, and pretty sturdily built. There's an ancient DATS trailer in Silverton, CO, for example. DATS doesn't go there far as I know. Did someone rustle it long ago and figure that no one in Silverton would know who DATS is and who to call?

Mike_77 and Mike2633 Thank this.
  10. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Thank you, the way this all started was I did a report on Consolidated Freightways, Werner and JB Hunt and there’s a lot of huff and puff in all those books, but to me TNT is the company that walked the walk.

For some reason TNT is always kind of overlooked. CF wanted to be world wide but couldn’t really pull it off yet TNT was world wide and really did pull it off. TNT is probably the greatest company of there kind ever.

Now granted I’m confused between Just In Time and Scheduled Services unless TNT management managed all that for the auto companies in which case that all falls under the TNT Logistics umbrella at the end of the day.

They were a very interesting company a lot of width and depth for sure.

speedyk Thanks this.
  11. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    I should buy Ken Thomas’s biography that’s how TNT started, but I’m really mostly interested and it’s why I cover it so heavily in here in all there auto parts hauling and distribution and expedited business like we still have to talk about Trans Freight. There’s a bit to learn here.
    As industrial historians of sorts were really recounting a big era of industrial history because what were really doing on the back end is studying Just In Time Logistics and the auto industry and I find that all pretty neat and TNT was a huge part of that.

speedyk and taodnt Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.