Tandem pins not engaging on a new trailer?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lostmykey, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Lostmykey

Lostmykey Medium Load Member

Oct 6, 2019
    I’ve got dash cam of me moving against the pins; I even felt the rear buck up a bit. I could go back over there and try again? Is it possible to apply too much force when sliding tandems? This is a first for me.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Were you going backwards. Forward would only apply more force. I definitely think you can get them to pop out.

4. Big Road Skateboard

May 2, 2021
    Here you can see the slider rail pinching the pin. 6A55397F-4D1D-4059-ADC2-C7980884064B.jpeg.jpg

Kyle G., slow.rider and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. Big Road Skateboard

May 2, 2021
    Get the railoff that pin and I'd bet it pops out.

6. Lostmykey

Oct 6, 2019
    I always rock forward and back; sometimes I do get a little confused on which way I need to pull things

7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    My Trailer would do that. 1 pin would be close, the other further off from the hole. The pins are quite smaller than the holes, more than other Trailers set ups. What I’d do, to get them lined up, is back up, at an angle, to twist the tandem set into alignment. Which way to angle the TT, depends on which side is too far away. If Drivers side is further from hole turn wheel clockwise to get the angle, passengers side, counter clockwise, just enough to get an angle on TT, then set trailer brakes and back Truck up. I always get it rolling, slow, then Jack it a bit, push clutch in, and hit the trailer hand brake. That shifts the tandem set on the rails, so pins will both line up. Hope that makes sense. Don’t worry about backing it up too hard to make them slide. If your loaded heavy, it can take quite of force.

BoxCarKidd, Bean Jr. and slow.rider Thank this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Gotta love the Tag. It says Vantraxx pre aligned slider. Lol. I hated mine. It was the same type Hendrickson, but wasn’t Vantraax. I hear Vantraax are worse. Known for eating up tires. This problem isn’t the Drivers fault. It’s just a crappy set up. With a little practice, you’ll get it to work. Mine was much older and more misaligned/sloppy than yours. Just have to keep moving Tractor back, against it, with brakes set. Might have to do it at the angle, like I said. Both ways, wouldn’t hurt. It’ll go one way or the other. If all else fails, pull the release pin, slide it all the way forward and all the way back, to try to center the bogie on the rails. Then lock it in where you want it.

Bean Jr. and slow.rider Thank this.
  9. Lostmykey

Oct 6, 2019
    Apparently a tech already attended to the trailer and did a temporary fix; they said it needed to get offloaded for a permanent repair. I’ve not inspected it yet so nfc what they did. At no point did anyone call to inform of this.

Rideandrepair, Bean Jr. and slow.rider Thank this.
  10. Lostmykey

Oct 6, 2019
    85367918-295C-4616-9C01-35E2E6810F94.jpeg
    Tech said the passenger side pin had somehow come out of alignment; unbolting that shiny piece did something; my company said it was fine to roll on it.

Kyle G. and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  11. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    It's an automatic ticket if that gets seen at a weigh station. Out of service if you can't get them all locked then. Your company actually told you to roll with only two pins locked? Did they do it in a documented fashion, such as a QC message?

I probably would have taken it, but only as far as a shop.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.