tandems and backing

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by duckdiver, Jul 31, 2012.

1. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Thank you otherhalf, I was trying not to break out the physics equations.

Hwyprsnr, you have 24 years experience and you don't know the physics or basic mechanics of moving the tandems back and forth?

Nobody said anything about stretching a truck. You are however increasing the distance between the tandems in the rear of the trailer and the drives though. Get out your tape measure and measure the distance between the tractor drives and the tandems with them slid all the way to the front position. Now slide the tandems all the way to the rear of the trailer and measure again. Repeat if necessary. See the difference?

Now if the distance between the tandems and the drives is 40' it will be a lot easier to go around a corner than if the distance between them is 53'! So now if the tandems are all the way to the rear of the trailer and the distance is 53' you will need more room or space to make a turn or maneuver.

p.s. I wouldn't tell anyone your thoughts about the truck stretching at the truck rodeo!

For those that think otherwise seriously need to go back to trucking school! This is elementary trucker knowledge!

Now is everyone clear how to scale out your load by moving the tandems?

otherhalftw and CAXPT Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HwyPrsnr

HwyPrsnr Medium Load Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Anywhere, USA
    LOL...This truely is funny when those get off the point. One thinks we are talking about how to scale a load. The other knows nothing about a truckers rodeo. Pittiful. Your math is WAY off. You only showed jibber jabber. I also know I dont need to go back to school. But I guess some get offended over others knowledge...Sorry to hear that. Only tried to help a fellow driver and some get highly offended I guess.

4. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    I'm not offended at all of your knowledge or lack thereof. I find it amusing though a trucker of your 24 years of experience not knowing about the basics of trailer tandems.

I only mentioned and offered to give you some advice about scaling a load just because I figured it goes hand in hand with moving your tandems and being you knew nothing about that I was just trying to help. Course you could be pulling all of our legs and just joking about not knowing anything about tandems and stretching trucks and what not. If you aren't joking, like I said, I would keep your trucking knowledge on the DL when you are hanging out with your buddies at the rodeo! Course they may find it rather amusing too! Make sure to tell them that you are joking though.

Papa always said to keep your mouth shut and nobody will know how dumb you are!

CAXPT, Gizmo_Man and otherhalftw Thank this.
  5. HwyPrsnr

HwyPrsnr Medium Load Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Anywhere, USA
    The man started this thread asking about sliding the tandems for backing, thats all. Never said anything about scaling it. But, someone else said sliding the tandems shortens the space and its basic math that a 70 ft combination vehicle will always take up 70 ft, no matter WHERE the tandems are set. Back in the 80s is when I was taught the basics of backing by a veteren Bull hauler. But, sorry, tandems dont slide on a bull wagon. All the respect in the world to those men and women, they dont have all these easy places to get in and out of either. So, still to this day, I still back in docks with tandems to the rear cause it is very much easier to get in the tight spaces. Like Gizmo said, His load his choice. But, the driver asked about the backing and as everyone else, I gave only my opinion. Dad always said, Walk thru life "closed minded" and you will miss some of the best things in life. Good nite. Ive ended my time with this thread...God Bless

CAXPT Thanks this.
  6. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    im a rookie driver but even i know tandems slid all the way back is not easier in tight spots. why do you think you only slide your tandems back once you have your trailer straight with the dock?

7. rockee

rockee Road Train Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    I for one am not offended, just slightly............amused

CAXPT and chompi Thank this.
  8. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

if you haul produce...almost all produce sheds require you to slide all the way back before loading....

HwyPrsnr Thanks this.
  9. jbee

jbee Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2011
    NC
    As do most shippers and receivers using forklifts or loading of heavy items as has already been said.

I understand what the OP is saying. But the crux of it is reduction in Backswing. You have to keep in mind if you're backing, it may be easier to get into a tight hole, whether a truck stop or warehouse, but the maneuver room needed for front clearance while you back will be increased.

Personally, once I scale a load, once they're set, they're set. If I'm empty and know I'm going to have to travel through or into some narrower city streets, I will take the time to slide em all the way forward, and just slide them back if the shipper wants them to the rear once I get to the destination.

10. Gizmo_Man

Gizmo_Man Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Hardly around
    if the rear of my trailer swings out faster as i am backing up..??

i simply SLOW DOWN....

a 53 foot trailer with the tandems way forward (as i NEED TO HAVE THEM for my run), will many times react like a pup trailer, you know, "short wheel base"..

you ever try to back up a pup trailer fast..??

what happens..??

it goes where ever it wants to, so what do you do...??

YOU SLOW DA HECK DOWN...!!!

other wise, NO MATTER HOW FAST you turn that steering wheel, you WILL MISS YOUR position to the door, or the parking spot.

me thinks you do not know how to back up properly.

chompi and CAXPT Thank this.
  11. Gizmo_Man

Gizmo_Man Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Hardly around
    any one of us that has to do a city delivery, especially in the "old world/cities" of this country will agree that having the tandems slid as far forward as possible when negotiating those street corners is wanted.

i have to stay in the "middle lane" of a downtown Boston street (there are 3 lanes there), to make a right turn, onto a 2 lane street.. i cannot do the "button hook" turn. so i MUST take up the middle lane and part of the right lane, and many times, i must come close to OR CLIMB up and onto a traffic island..!!! just to make my darned right turn......(there is ALWAYS a car or truck parked AT THE CORNER, right past the crosswalk..!!)

you should see me sweat during "emergency construction nights", when construction trucks are parked on both sides, as i go to make my right turn..!! i got stories to tell about the near crushing of a cops personal car, when i had to climb up onto the traffic island, and that was where he was parked...!!!

the next night....HE DIDN'T PARK THERE..!!!

i really wish i did not have to have a 53 footer, but i do. Boston was built for horse and buggy, and VERY SMALL trailers or straight trucks of the time period. no more room to expand ANY street down there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.