Tandems too far forward?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by aramil248, Nov 3, 2021.

1. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Yes to far forward is a read thing

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    For 5 axle 48’- 53‘ combinations only the max distance is relevant. 41” from kingpin to center of axles. There’s at least one State that’s 40.5”, I forget, maybe Minnesota. I may be wrong, but I don’t think the average Trailers axle can be slid forward far enough to violate a minimum length Law.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  4. EuropeanTrucker

EuropeanTrucker Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2018
    I had hazmat roadside inspection in Indiana and they got me for tandems being too far back. Didn’t get a ticket but still got a violation on my record.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. flightwatch

flightwatch Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Somewhere in Texas
    Too many new drivers answering questions from new drivers... Tandems too far forward for weight? Yes. Tandems too far forward for bridge law? No. That doesn't even make sense.

6. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I ran my tandems all the way forward for like 3 years all over the country, never had a problem because the work I was doing, my weights were fine.

Now that I'm hauling a bit more weight over average, I've just been defaulting to the California legal point. Usually my weights are fine there.

That's just been my experience though.

7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    It does if weights not an issue

8. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Is that why I sometimes see trailers with the first pin welded closed? I wondered why some trailers seal off the first pin hole.

9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I imagine so, mine isn’t closed off, but it has a stop that keeps it from going into the first hole. I’ve never measured from kingpin to axle set, with it all the way forward. I prefer to run it that way whenever possible, since I’m always in a tight spot, or skinny road with tight turns. I’m pretty sure my Trailers 41’ from king pin to axle center in the 10th, or 9th usable hole. Each hole is spaced 4”. So 9 holes is 2’8” and with axle all the way forward, it should be 38’4” kingpin to axle set center on Trailer. I don’t think that violates any bridges Laws. If they Load it too close to the rear, I’ll cheat on the bridge law, before being over on the trailer. Never had a problem. I’m going to have to get my tape measure out now, and check it for sure, mark the 41’ hole. I ain’t going to California, Lol.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    TravR1 Thanks this.
  10. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The bridge formula deals with weight, most answers here are talking about KPRA regs. If it were a true “bridge law” then states like CA wouldn’t care about your axles when you’re empty and they’d also enforce it on 48ft trailers.

11. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I have to ask what does KPRA stand for?

12. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    King Pin Rear Axle I think.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.