Tandems too far forward?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by aramil248, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I've never had issues with too far forward. I run in the Western states, unsure if it's much of a thing here. I just don't know.
    I prefer to have my tandems at around the 40 ft length in general. Never have cared for them being all the way forward. To me, the 40 foot length just seems like a good balance of maneuverability verse swing out.
    Since I run CA alot, seldom get to have them any farther back if I wanted.
    I also run heavy most of the time averaging between 75k and 78k gross. Anyway, tend to run tandems as far back as I can to have legal drives. Up to the 40 foot mark if I'm going to CA of course. If drives are still too heavy at the 40 foot mark, have to get the load reworked. So far it has only happened to me once.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Gee Dave, if I didn't know better, I'd say you don't like California much! o_O

4. aramil248

aramil248 Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Maine
    I honestly go by some sticker line the company shoves on the trailer. If it's above the middle of the tandems then I can't go further back. I often have it either over the rear wheel or all the way forward. Depending on load. I'm often running Maine to Wisconsin or Maine to Georgia no issue. Only bridge law company told me about was the one in Connecticut

5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Ok I have to ask, what’s CBA stand for? Center of back axle?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.