Tanker driver question

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by ChristyLW, Oct 29, 2020.

1. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    You should have a pressure gauge somewhere along the bottom of your tanker. It would be connected to the hard piping of your dedicated pressurizing line.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChristyLW

ChristyLW Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2020
    The guy told me Tuesday that it was about 10 pounds of pressure. I did not think to look at the pressure gauge.

4. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    Ok, stand aside and open that valve. Shouldn't take long to drain. And honestly, plant operators don't touch valves on my trailer unless there's been communication as to exactly what procedure will be in place. I've never had an operator drain pressure from my trailer.

5. ChristyLW

ChristyLW Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2020
    Ya, better communication sounds good. At this facility, they do everything themselves. They hook up and unload everything. I just have to verify that there's room in their holding vessel and that they are properly grounded. I usually walk around and do my pretrip while I'm waiting. Today I was going to just open the back end. The big valve and relieve it that way but the guy at the plant wouldn't allow me to. He said I had to use the small valve. I'll probably just wait until I get back to the office from now on to do it. Everyone on my team says it can wait until I get back to the terminal to be relieved.

6. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    I tend to agree with your coworker. You noticed they're not pulling this crap with anybody else, right?

ChristyLW Thanks this.
  7. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    I would be calling your company first and skip the gossip train. There are some products that if you drive in to the plant with no pressure, they will refuse to load you. You should be asking your company first.

mustang190 and ChristyLW Thank this.
  8. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    That’s why they use nitrogen.... it won’t support a flame.......

Crack the air supply valve up by the dome cover and take a brake....it’ll drain

9. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    That is something you need to check as a driver everytime. Score you get back on the road. How else would you verify they closed your internal, and closed valves? Just climb up and vent it down. Once I can see, after that it’s just laziness not to do it

Walt NJ Thanks this.
  10. ChristyLW

ChristyLW Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2020
    I did speak with my coworkers and my boss. They said they usually depressurize the tank before we leave. Currently they are having personnel issues due to Covid-19 and someone else is filling in. My boss said it should be ok if I release the pressure when I get back to the terminal.

11. ChristyLW

ChristyLW Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2020
    I do go around and verify that it's closed up. This is only my 3rd delivery on my own. When my trainer was with me the guy whom off-loaded us was depresserizing the tank. This is why I asked the question. I'm new and didn't know either way the correct procedure

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.