tanker life vs dry van life?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by john b, Feb 24, 2012.

1. cmiller2289

cmiller2289 Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2011
    ft. worth tx
    I ran liquid lime, and dry lime back over the summer. As far as loading it was quick an simple about 10minutes to load, dry unloading we didn't do we just backed up to the mixer and the yard guy unloaded it. liquid load was about 8 minutes unless yard guy hadn't mixed enough, but unloading was a pain. we dropped on rds that were being built, didn't like it. I run dry van which is what i originally started with. I like the tight quarters backing challenges. Basically if its a pain and a challenge to get into i have a blast.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pecancross

Pecancross Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2012
    With your limited experience a tanker job that pays well will be very difficult to find. It is great job. Has quite a bit of training though. Money is much much much better. Luck

4. Jynxx

Jynxx Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    Also check into hauling fuel in Denver. There are several great fuel hauling outfits there. :)

5. 5.56

5.56 Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2012
    INDY
    Any hope of driving tankers fresh out of driving school with no experience ?

I'm in Indy if location would matter at all .

6. Jynxx

Jynxx Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Cheyenne, Wyoming

For fuel hauling or for tankers in general?

Just noticed you said tankers. Yes you can get into tankers fresh out of school. Most likely would be good grade as most of the Hazmat tanker companies would like to see some experience.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  7. 5.56

5.56 Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2012
    INDY
    Both .

It seems like pulling tankers means a lot less BS like pulling vans , + I really don't want to be an OTR driver .

8. Jynxx

Jynxx Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    Being in Indy you should have some options. I would start making some phone calls and looking for tanker yanker positions there. I'm sure that there would be a place that is willing to give you a shot.

5.56 Thanks this.
  9. truckertaz8291

truckertaz8291 Light Load Member

May 29, 2012
    lexington,sc
  10. truckertaz8291

truckertaz8291 Light Load Member

May 29, 2012
    lexington,sc
    i haul alot of latex some time hazmat been driving tankers less than year it still kicks mya 44 ON TAKE OFF STARTING IN 7TH BUT LOVE THEN WAY MORE THAN REEFER

11. greenpea

greenpea Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2013
    get your experience and get out van business as quickly as you can. Who know try to apply tanker position and maybe get lucky. never know still try.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.