Tankers the Schneider way

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Tardis, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Johnny99

Johnny99 Johnny be Good

Nov 24, 2007
    Big Sandy Tenn
    Anytime I hauled anything corrosive or would burn you I had the full suit, goggles and face shield on if I was required to be in attendance during the loading or unloading.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    We carry all the PPE but normally the real bad stuff were told to go wait in the lounge. Or places like DOW or some other plants we just drop the trailer and come back when your called. The main reason we have it all is in case there is a emergency or a leak out on the road.

4. pathfinder1361

pathfinder1361 Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2011
    miami, fl
    where i worked, we would transport usually about 10-12 loads of sulfuric acid per day between delaware city,del and exxon bayway refinery. each load was a day's work per driver. (12-14 hr. day) all loading/unloading was handled by the driver. product was metered on thru riser in small dome of stainless acid trailer. (4000) gallon. the fresh we pressured off with tractor air. the spent we pumped off with plant pump. hoses were stainless braid with 4 bolt flange. required "suiting up" numerous times during the shift. (rubber suit/boots,goggles, gloves , faceshield) loaded "fresh" (98 degree?) to the refinery. and returned "spent" going back. spent acid is wicked stink! corrosive and flammable.

all of the spent went back to general chemical in claymont, de.

fortunately, only one guy got minor splash/burn that i knew of.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  5. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    We used to share Port Readign [Hess] that was 98% used to build octane, the spent was mixed w/ hydrocarbons. Du Pont used to haul that away in rail cars.

pathfinder1361 Thanks this.
  6. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    I wouldn't call you a dinosaur, Anything I can learn I will. I know flowback isn't the best for you but I haven't heard of anyone getting hurt by it, yet.

7. pathfinder1361

pathfinder1361 Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2011
    miami, fl
    i delivered sulfuric to port reading once or twice. i don't recall if i loaded spent on the return. but, we had several different locations we went to, fresh sulfuric in and spent sulfuric on return. (some smaller chemical plants, as well as refineries) . we there doing what "general chemical" didn't take care of with their own fleet.

8. Joescheppae Q

Joescheppae Q Medium Load Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Ply Mtg, PA
    The Coraoplois OC is mourning Don's death it seems.

9. Joescheppae Q

Joescheppae Q Medium Load Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Ply Mtg, PA
    & we get to yank tanks in the snow

10. Tardis

Tardis Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2011
    banned or retired
    I passed my SQTs Thursday and ha d my tractor assigned Monday. Look for tractor 26516.

11. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    General took that all due to the time factor. Taking the spent back to Claymont by truck was more efficient than DuPont hauling it back to Bastrop, LA by rail. Hess used to get upset if the MT tankcars were not on site when it was our week to haul the acid in. Am Cy [Cy-Tech] had the same problem using rail.

My guys were upset 'cause the Hess work was a money maker for them. DuPont paid the same flat rate out to 150 miles and Port Reading was about 6 miles away so it was the biggest volume/shortest trip for them so they lost a money maker!

pathfinder1361 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.