Tankers the Schneider way

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Tardis, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Tardis

Tardis Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2011
    banned or retired
    I don't know if it against OSHA regulations to walk on the catwalk on top of the tanker. I don't think Schneider would let us do it if that were the case. As an example, we are not supposed to air up a seriously low tire.

The reasoning here is that OSHA wants that to happen in a tire cage. You don't know how damaged the tire may be if it was driven seriously underinflated. They say call for road service and on the road repairs will be made at that rest stop if that is where you discovered it.

They don't want CSA points and neither do I.

Now somebody asked about air ride dump valves, there are none. There also isn't a Johnson bar. The Johnson bar was a factor in a multi-million dollar crash and have been eliminated ever since.

Be in your correct gear 100' before that turn coming up. Don't worry that the guy in the car behind you may be delayed. You can't let other people drive your truck.

Time to keep working on those shift points. You shift based on the RPMs and the gear selected is based on your speed. Much to learn to do automatically.:biggrin_25517:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    "
    Fall Arrest
    A fall arrest system is required if any risk exists that a worker may fall from an elevated position, as a general rule, the fall arrest system should be used anytime a working height of six feet or more is reached. Working height is the distance from the walking/working surface to a grade or lower level. A fall arrest system will only come into service should a fall occur. A full-body harness with a shock-absorbing lanyard or a retractable lifeline is the only product recommended. A full-body harness distributes the forces throughout the body, and the shock-absorbing lanyard decreases the total fall arresting forces."
    http://www.osha.gov/Region7/fallprotection/fall_protection_info.html
    An employer can't just hand you a harness either . Employees must be trained in the proper wearing , inspection , and care of fall inspection equipment.

AfterShock Thanks this.
  4. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Do you have a harness or is your dedicated run such that you never need to climb on top of the tank? I violate this almost every day. I suppose a short lanyard could be hooked to the tank while on top. I have seen a few with steel cables for this purpose.

5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    In most cases unloading and loading is handled by customer employees or it is a drop and hook . Most customers have platforms that fold down to the top of the tank .
    We don't have harnesses . If we did we'd have to be trained in their use .

6. Mr.V

Mr.V Medium Load Member

Jul 23, 2010
    HATBORO,PA
    Good Luck with Training!!:biggrin_25514:

7. 2fuzy

2fuzy Road Train Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Granite Canon,WY
    thats interesting as shell and taylor have had a long term deal since Texaco broke up can't picture any of the guys in orange knowing what to do with a thief

8. Tardis

Tardis Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2011
    banned or retired
    First to safety. My understanding is that when you top load it is at a platform at the customer. The walking on top you have to do daily is to make sure your hatches and other openings are secure. A harness wouldn't be of much help since by the time the rope pulled taught you would be either at or about on the ground and all the harness would accomplish is to make sure you swung into the side of the tank.

Training today wasn't overly tanker oriented. My half day on the road concentrated on teaching me how to drive a truck, not how to pass a CDL exam. Where buttonhook turns were taboo before they are a very necessary evil now.

There was some training on rollovers specific to tankers but this was a video and thankfully not hands on.

We did have a large group meeting today that I learned quite a bit from. It was a cheerleading meeting but it was the first meeting where all the trainees were present. You had new grads training for van and tanker, experienced drivers coming to Schneider and new O/Os coming into the Choice program.

The thing I found most striking is that out of 26 total people, 12 were experienced drivers and 5 of them were returning to Schneider after going somewhere else for a while. I heard some grousing from the returnees, both about other companies and about Schneider. I guess the Schneider complaints were less important than the others.

I did hear that being in tankers (the bulk division) could be a great place to be. Besides the oil patches, intermodal looks to be a big potential for tankers. And being from Chicago that could be good for me.:yes2557:

9. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Its the same with most of our customers.

That said I still have to get on top of clean empty tanks at tank washes and terminals that have no fall protection. They are notorious for leaving a clean out cap off or so loose it will fall off or spill product. You cannot do a proper pretrip on a tank before taking it to a customer to load without climbing up there. How do you know if it is clean, dry and odor free without looking in the dome and breaking those OSHA rules?

AfterShock Thanks this.
  10. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    That's why customers won't let you do it on their property . They know it's violation .

11. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Must be nice!!
    I do a lot of hauling out to oil fields and farms. No fall protection out there. All of our air off valves are located in the crash box. plus in most cases you have to stick the load.
    You know your not going to have a load/unload rack when a very big farm tractor or a bulldozer follows you out to the unload area!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.