Tankers the Schneider way

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Tardis, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Tardis

Tardis Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2011
    banned or retired
    Tanker drivers spend half of their time driving empty, and heading back to the tank wash. Thank goodness we get paid the same for loaded, unloaded and bobtail miles.

Those guys at the tank wash can be your friend, or your curse. Cold Gatorade is their drink of choice.

Lots of times you are dropping off a dirty and picking up a clean, but you need your hoses cleaned before you leave and the guys are busy with two bays each. They will help you if you are on good terms.

Is there a little moisture at the bottom of your tank? You could complain or you could grab a mop.

Is there a little crusty spot in your QRB? You could complain or you could break it up and wipe it out.

In any case this is a people business. Do you want to get moving fast or do you want to wait for the guy at the tank wash to get to you?:biggrin_25512:

AfterShock Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    I had an Lease Operator leave a Matlack terminal I managed. When he left I was around $1,200.00 in the hole. I saw him around a year later and he was still receiving detention payments, after they had wiped out his debt.

Sample time can be excessive, Merck & Co. in Rahway used to take 4 hours to sample everything, including the incoming boiler fuel oil!

They had a room w/ chairs and a TV and a restroom where we had to wait, and wait, and wait...no smoking either!

Dielectric transformer oil from Exxon in Bayonne used to take 4 - 6 hours...then you get to the receiver and her puts some in a beaker, inserts two electrodes & turns up the juce until it arced between the electrodes. As long as the voltage was above his spec you were OK...took him all of 5 min to do this.

4. Gorgeous George

Gorgeous George Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Where I need to be.
    You are hearing to many "war stories" and buying them. If anything, van and reefer drivers work three times harder than a tank yanker. That is why I have chosen to pull tanks these many years.

Schneider is a great place to receive training. But once that hurdle is met, there are many other companies whom pay far better wages.

Excorcist1 Thanks this.
  5. pathfinder1361

pathfinder1361 Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2011
    miami, fl
    sounds like solid advice. okay can we name the other companies that pay far better wages?

6. Johnny99

Johnny99 Johnny be Good

Nov 24, 2007
    Big Sandy Tenn
    I did tanks for ten years. The only we came home empty was when we had a dedicated trailer or were less than 200 miles from home terminal and no freight was available.

The guys at the tank wash get paid to do a job. If you tell them to dry the trailer it should be dry when you pick it up. They used to ask us if the trailer needed to be dry. If you fall off the tank or into it trying to straighten out their screw up you might wind up being charged with a preventable accident. Going down inside a trailer was a no no where I worked.

7. pathfinder1361

Aug 19, 2011
    miami, fl
    for anyones own personal safety, do NOT enter into a tank wagon, or any other kind of "confined space". not until it has been determined there is sufficient breathing conditions inside. (measured by electronic device) can be life or death. there should be plenty of procedures/rules in place to make sure its done safely.

8. NHPatriotman

NHPatriotman Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Dobson, NC
    Looking forward to hearing it all as I will be starting in February

9. Johnny99

Johnny99 Johnny be Good

Nov 24, 2007
    Big Sandy Tenn
    Example of this is a trailer that has been pressured off with nitrogen. They are supposed to attach a warning label, "Caution, Nitrogen Blanket", after the trailer is empty, but they have been known to blow off en route to the tank wash.

10. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Never under ANY circumstances do you go into a tank. Thats the job for the tankwash guys.
    Even when I have to open a dome lid I do it like it's under high pressure, stand away and release the dog latches furthest from me first.
    We have to write in bold letters on our dispatches if nitrogen was used in the tank when we give it to the tankwash to let them know plus tell the check in guy.

pathfinder1361 Thanks this.
  11. pathfinder1361

Aug 19, 2011
    miami, fl
    wiki

Injuries/Fatalities

Injuries and fatalities involving confined spaces are frequent and often involve successive fatalities when would-be rescuers succumb to the same problem as the initial victim. Approximately 60% of fatalities involve would-be rescuers and more than 30% of fatalities occur in a space that has been tested and found to be safe to enter. One example was in 2006 at the decommissioned Sullivan Mine in British Columbia, Canada when one initial victim and then three rescuers all died.
    Accidents in confined spaces present unique challenges and are often catastrophic, such as the Xcel Energy Cabin Creek Fire in 2007.
    According to data collected by the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries program, fatal injuries in confined spaces fluctuated from a low of 81 in 1998 to a high of 100 in 2000 during the five-year period, averaging 92 fatalities per year.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confined_space

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.